Attention growing for Ridgeview star Adkins

swva_havok_fan

Attention growing for Ridgeview star Adkins

Wise Central vs Ridgeview Football

Ridgeview #24 Trenton Adkins looks for running room in a 2017 game against Wise County Central.

CLINTWOOD, Va. – One year ago, Ridgeview High School running back Trenton Adkins was just hoping to gain some experience as a freshman.

Flash forward a year.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Adkins is now a prized prospect, earning offers from seven NCAA Division I bluebloods such as Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina and Penn State.

“It’s crazy,” Adkins said.

The buzz around Adkins gradually began to spread in 2017 as he accounted for 1,228 yards rushing and 15 touchdowns on 169 carries.

Adkins, who was 5-10 and 165 last season, did not even start the first game.

“I expected to maybe rotate in the backfield and possibly play some junior varsity, but I didn’t expect to start,” he said. “Things just took off.”

During Saturday’s media day session at Ridgeview, Adkins revealed that Florida is his latest suitor.

“I’m planning to talk to them at some point this weekend,” he said. “I was hoping to get some college attention in high school. I definitely didn’t expect it to come this early, though.”

Adkins said that his father, Antonio Vaughn, was a standout running back and linebacker at Hunters Lane High School in Nashville, Tennessee.

“He was going to play football in college until he shattered his kneecap,” Adkins said. “He helps me a lot with different aspects of football.”

For Adkins, the climb to stardom began around the second grade when he decided to compete in the Crunch Bunch youth football league in Clintwood.

The low-key athlete earned praise for his array of skills, yet ego was never an issue

“People kept telling that I could be good. I just didn’t really think much about it at the time,” Adkins said.

Adkins said he developed more confidence after competing with blue-chip athletes at camps and leading the Wolfpack to a 9-2 record and the Region 2D playoffs.

“I went to the Tennessee Gridiron camp last spring in Johnson City. Then, I began to think that maybe I could really do something after last season,” Adkins said.

So just what can Adkins do on a football field?

“Everything,” said Ridgeview senior receiver/cornerback Jacob Hensley. “He can read the field and break tackles. And he goes full-speed whenever he gets the ball, including practice.

“Trenton is a heck of an athlete. He’s surprised us all from where he was in middle school to where he’s at now.”

Ridgeview head coach Rick Mullins, one of the most experienced football minds in far Southwest Virginia, said he’s never coached an athlete who has received so much attention at such a young age.

“Recruiting has changed,” Mullins said. “Everybody has these camps now and Trenton has gone to a few. He also put up some good numbers as a freshman and he’s got some people looking at him.”

Mullins said his lethal weapon has the essentials for success, plus some intangibles.

“Trenton has really good vision and balance, and he can just see things develop on offense really well,” Mullins said. “He’s a not a burner, but not many people catch him from behind.

“And Trenton has worked hard in the weight room and put on some weight. With recruiting, a lot comes down to what have you done for me lately, so you have to keep performing and improving. If Trenton keeps his head on straight, he’s got a bright future.”

Adkins readily admits that’s content to stay in the background with his teammates. Judging from Saturday, he’s warming up to the relentless recruiting and interview game.

“I got a lot of mail and calls, but it doesn’t get on my nerves,” said Adkins, who has never attended a NCAA Division I game in person. “I’m looking forward to meeting a lot of players and coaches.”

After returning from a week-long vacation to Myrtle Beach on Friday, Adkins said he’s considering attending a camp at Penn State today and plans to visit the University of Tennessee campus this week.

The immediate concern for this 15-year-old phenom is preparing his body for the rigors of the Mountain 7 District.

“I feel like I have a target on my back this season, but that just makes me want to work harder,” Adkins said. “I try to lift weights as much as possible and take in protein.”

It helps that Adkins lives within walking distance of the sprawling Ridgeview campus.

“Yeah, I’m here just about every day,” he said.

It will be easy for recruiters, defensive coordinators and fans to spot Adkins. He will be the centerpiece of Ridgeview’s spread offense.

“The spread gives me a little more time to read the defense and decide where to go,” Adkins said. “I’ve never worked on my vision and balance, but it just comes naturally and coaches seem to like it.

“We have a lot of talented and experienced linemen, and that helps a ton. Those guys make the pathways to run through. We’re all ready for the season and it looks like we’re going to have a lot of fans watching us.”

Judging by the interest so far, plenty of those Ridgeview spectators will be representing a college.

Think it was around 40 but he had a hell of a kickoff return and one highlight run getting the better of Mitchel.

I am excited to see Adkins play at 25 pounds heaver than last season by the end of the season he was running with alot more power than he did at the start of the season 

I hope so but I think replacing our QB from last year will be tough he was a solid passer and a runner that you had to respect.

If Ridgeview can find a QB that can be a legit passing threat they will be tough this season 

17 minutes ago, Counts said:

I hope so but I think replacing our QB from last year will be tough he was a solid passer and a runner that you had to respect.

If Ridgeview can find a QB that can be a legit passing threat they will be tough this season 

McKenzie Sproles is taking the snaps from what I am hearing.  He's a heck of a runner in his own right.  Not sure what kind of arm he has, but going to be interesting to say the least.

IMO Sproles is a very good runner I have no idea how good of a passer he is but he needs to be good enough to keep teams from stacking the box.

How well the QB position plays will go a long way to how successful RV will be this season

3 hours ago, Counts said:

Think it was around 40 but he had a hell of a kickoff return and one highlight run getting the better of Mitchel.

I am excited to see Adkins play at 25 pounds heaver than last season by the end of the season he was running with alot more power than he did at the start of the season 

I think you may be confusing clips Counts, I never saw him truck James or outrun him

Got the better of (not trucking) the play I am thinking about was a 10 yardish run with about 3 extra yards after contact sure it is modest as far as highlights go but still as good a go as a HS freshman vs VT Signee can go LOL (If I can find the clip I will post it)

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I think you may be confusing clips Counts, I never saw him truck James or outrun him

1 hour ago, Counts said:

Got the better of (not trucking) the play I am thinking about was a 10 yardish run with about 3 extra yards after contact sure it is modest as far as highlights go but still as good a go as a HS freshman vs VT Signee can go LOL (If I can find the clip I will post it)

I saw that clip. Mitchell hit him fairly square, but Adkins did push ahead for an extra couple of yards. I think it's on Adkins' freshman highlights video on Hudl.

That play at 00:20 seconds is the play in question? He's a great talent but That play was nothing special.

Atkins had a full head of speed, Mitchell was broke down for the tackle, and limited a big gain. It de f was nothing like some of you described

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That play at 00:20 seconds is the play in question? He's a great talent but That play was nothing special.

Atkins had a full head of speed, Mitchell was broke down for the tackle, and limited a big gain. It de f was nothing like some of you described

I described it as getting the better of him on one play (3 extra yards after contact from a 165 lb Freshman vs a 230 lb VT recruit is IMHO getting the better of at least on that play I am sure that anyone with video of the game can find plenty of plays where the scrip was flipped so to speak )

How did you think it was described?

That being said Atkins has plenty of potential but he did come out of nowhere last season (I dont think he even started a game until around week 3 and did not truly come into his on until midway through the season) If he stays focused and works hard he will be tough to slow down

2 hours ago, Counts said:

I described it as getting the better of him on one play (3 extra yards after contact from a 165 lb Freshman vs a 230 lb VT recruit is IMHO getting the better of at least on that play I am sure that anyone with video of the game can find plenty of plays where the scrip was flipped so to speak )

How did you think it was described?

That being said Atkins has plenty of potential but he did come out of nowhere last season (I dont think he even started a game until around week 3 and did not truly come into his on until midway through the season) If he stays focused and works hard he will be tough to slow down

He made his debut late in the game against Shelby Valley and scored 2 TD's if I remember right, made his first start at Central the next week and the rest as they say is history.  In the first game of the season against Grundy he was still on the JV team.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:51 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

McKenzie Sproles is taking the snaps from what I am hearing.  He's a heck of a runner in his own right.  Not sure what kind of arm he has, but going to be interesting to say the least.

If I was Coach Mullins I would move Trenton to QB and Sproles to RB and any where else you can get him the ball. Having Adkins at QB you have your best Athlete touching the ball every snap and id say hes a capable thrower too.Plus you will be able to build the Offense around him for the next 3 years instead of having to find a new QB every year.