How do you go about choosing a Division 1 college team?

Boomhauer

ETSU alumni here who has no real connections to any of the "local" D1 programs. This has been an issue for me for quite some time, people asking who I root for and it's always a "Erm...". So, SWVAsports faithful, help old man Boomhauer choose a division 1 college football team. I'm open to just about any team that is relatively local or within 5-6 hours

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's ultimately gonna come down to what you like. What type of football you like to see. What type of fanbase you like. Colors etc. It's not something to rush into.

I don't have a particular favorite style of offense, if I had to pick it would probably be the spread with some smart run plays here and there. Defense wise, I like to see hard hits, again no particular "formation" but if I had to choose I am fond of the 3-4. I like to have a passionate fanbase,  but not to the point that it's delusional year in and year out.

3 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

I don't have a particular favorite style of offense, if I had to pick it would probably be the spread with some smart run plays here and there. Defense wise, I like to see hard hits, again no particular "formation" but if I had to choose I am fond of the 3-4. I like to have a passionate fanbase,  but not to the point that it's delusional year in and year out.

You rang?

Fan experience at games is one component. If you like hearing Rocky Top then welcome aboard. 

Another is colors.  Tradition is another. A team’s schematics can be a component. Many—not all—people are drawn by geographic location. Others are drawn to a team for success.

Do not choose a team solely for that team’s success because you will eventually be let down hard.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:34 PM, Boomhauer said:

Someone is going to have to talk me off the ledge of choosing Tennessee.

You don't want that....I've never seen a fanbase who could whine and complain after winning games as much as that fanbase does. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

You don't want that....I've never seen a fanbase who could whine and complain after winning games as much as that fanbase does. 

Being a Tennessee fan seems painful, i do think they’ll come back eventually. But I don’t think I need that extra stress in my life.

4 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

Being a Tennessee fan seems painful, i do think they’ll come back eventually. But I don’t think I need that extra stress in my life.

I'll save you the hassle. Don't pick VT either. 

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Agreed.

And this is why I said not to lol. You get attacked from a fanbase that hasn’t beaten you in over a decade and then have lacrosse titles thrown in your face like they matter. 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

And this is why I said not to lol. You get attacked from a fanbase that hasn’t beaten you in over a decade and then have lacrosse titles thrown in your face like they matter. 😂😂😂

We beat VT like a drum in almost everything else.  VT fans are the ones fooling themselves if they believe the football superiority is worth being the little brother in the rest.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

We beat VT like a drum in almost everything else.  VT fans are the ones fooling themselves if they believe the football superiority is worth being the little brother in the rest.

Maybe in the past. But the tide is turning, my friend. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 5:32 AM, Ryan4VT said:

If that's the worst thing I have to deal with...

@UVAObserver state your case for UVA.

11 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

I’ll answer for him: superior academics. And 27 National titles in sports no one really cares about. *sips wine in his tie at a football game*

😉😉

12 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’ll answer for him: superior academics. And 27 National titles in sports no one really cares about. *sips wine in his tie at a football game*

😉😉

Will UVAO sit by idly and allow this conversation to continue. One may never know.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, UVAObserver said:

I think the renewed Commonwealth Clash is now 2-2 so not entirely true especially since we have won the last two

On 8/23/2018 at 11:25 AM, Boomhauer said:

Sure thing.  Here’s my short pitch:

Being a Virginia fan is more than about following an athletic team.  It’s about embracing the culture.  It’s a culture that values the student-athlete, with each side of that hyphen meaning just as much as the other.  Virginia does not tolerate criminal activity or those who reflect poorly on the program.  Mike London might have been a poor football coach, but he did well at training men who are solid members of the community.  In many places, that would lead to borderline riot.  At Virginia, though we demand better performance, we respect the work he did in those players’ lives.  Bronco Mendenhall turns boys into men in a similar fashion (with greater coaching acumen).  Our fans may not outnumber fans from larger state schools (such as the one nearest us), but they are devoted, dedicated, and more realistic than most others.

As far as football, we are 3 years into a 5-year rebuild.  Mendenhall’s OC is Robert Anae, who runs an offense with Mike Leach “air raid” principles.  Problem is, our OL hasn’t been able to hold the blocks to execute it regularly.  When it does, you get this:

And now, we have speedy JUCO transfer Bryce Perkins behind center to execute some option styles (with an improved OL).  Interesting and exciting times ahead.

On defense, Mendenhall runs 3-4 and 3-3-5 bases with exotic blitzes.  UVA’s Pass D was 7th in the country last year.  However, the DL was 2-3 years away from being as he wants, so the Rush D was 101st.  The back 7 is promising this year, and is one of the best in the ACC.  The DL is equally as porous as last year, that is, should Ohio State transfer Dylan Thompson not be as advertised.  

We’re marching back to respectability, and I hope you join the ride!