How do you go about choosing a Division 1 college team?

Boomhauer

6 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Let us lower the bar...how many times has VT been ranked #1 in any sport?

Even UVA has been ranked #1 in football!  and basketball and baseball ...

#commonwealthwannabe

Congratulations on that straw man ranking that didn't lead to a single title in football or basketball...the only sports the general population cares about. 

38 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Congratulations on that straw man ranking that didn't lead to a single title in football or basketball...the only sports the general population cares about. 

At risk of engaging you much more then I desire and more than you deserve...you have no clue to what "straw man" actually refers.  I'll help you out since I feel magnanimous this afternoon.

NOUN
straw men (plural noun) · strawman (noun) · strawmen (plural noun)
  1. an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Since UVA has actually been ranked #1 in football, basketball and baseball...there is no "straw man" argument.  Those are facts, albeit difficult for you to accept.  But rest easy my young Padawan; as long as Metallica gets their payment, VT can play that entrance song...even if they have never won a natty or even been ranked #1 for any period.  You can have the last word, if that will help you sleep tonight. 

4 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

At risk of engaging you much more then I desire and more than you deserve...you have no clue to what "straw man" actually refers.  I'll help you out since I feel magnanimous this afternoon.

NOUN
straw men (plural noun) · strawman (noun) · strawmen (plural noun)
  1. an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Since UVA has actually been ranked #1 in football, basketball and baseball...there is no "straw man" argument.  Those are facts, albeit difficult for you to accept.  But rest easy my young Padawan; as long as Metallica gets their payment, VT can play that entrance song...even if they have never won a natty or even been ranked #1 for any period.  You can have the last word, if that will help you sleep tonight. 

Keep looking down at us lowly VT fans (and graduates) from atop Snob Mountain. We are used to. We’ve heard the same insults forever. They’re old. They’re tired. But you keep doing whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, Mr. Hoo. 

16 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Keep looking down at us lowly VT fans (and graduates) from atop Snob Mountain. We are used to. We’ve heard the same insults forever. They’re old. They’re tired. But you keep doing whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, Mr. Hoo. 

I know I promised you the last word but I have to say this...dislike VT? YES!  Snob?  Hardly!  I don’t like wine...and one of my business partners played football for VT!  So now you can have the last word, seriously. 

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

#NoOneCaresAboutLAX #BoxingIsntASportAnymore

UVA won a whopping 1 NCAA Boxing title, in 1938.  UVA has won 5 Men’s Lacrosse titles (the fastest growing sport among HS youth by participation, BTW), which is two less than the number won by the Men’s Soccer team (and given your love of all things Chelsea, it’s a bit harder for you to claim that no one cares about soccer).  Baseball is quite clearly a sport, a UVA has an NCAA title in that as well.  

Here’s the breakdown:

Men’s Soccer: 7

Men’s Lacrosse: 5

Men’s Tennis: 4

Women’s Lacrosse: 3

Women’s Rowing: 2

Women’s Cross Country: 2

Baseball: 1

Boxing: 1 (defunct)

This doesn’t include the ITA Men’s Tennis titles (6) or the pre-NCAA sponsored Men’s Lacrosse (2) or Women’s Indoor T&F (1) titles.

I would encourage VT to become ranked #1 in any sport for 1 measly week (again, that has never happened, which is all the more mindblowing).

13 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

UVA won a whopping 1 NCAA Boxing title, in 1938.  UVA has won 5 Men’s Lacrosse titles (the fastest growing sport among HS youth by participation, BTW), which is two less than the number won by the Men’s Soccer team (and given your love of all things Chelsea, it’s a bit harder for you to claim that no one cares about soccer).  Baseball is quite clearly a sport, a UVA has an NCAA title in that as well.  

Here’s the breakdown:

Men’s Soccer: 7

Men’s Lacrosse: 5

Men’s Tennis: 4

Women’s Lacrosse: 3

Women’s Rowing: 2

Women’s Cross Country: 2

Baseball: 1

Boxing: 1 (defunct)

This doesn’t include the ITA Men’s Tennis titles (6) or the pre-NCAA sponsored Men’s Lacrosse (2) or Women’s Indoor T&F (1) titles.

I would encourage VT to become ranked #1 in any sport for 1 measly week (again, that has never happened, which is all the more mindblowing).

No one cares about college soccer. By comparison to the big two, no one cares about college baseball. 

All the general public care about are Football and Basketball. And you've got as many titles as we do in the big two sports. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

No one cares about college soccer. By comparison to the big two, no one cares about college baseball. 

All the general public care about are Football and Basketball. And you've got as many titles as we do in the big two sports. 

You know that when VT finally wins a national championship (it might be in 2050, but it has to happen sometime), you’ll act like that non-revenue sport (wrestling, men’s soccer, etc.) is the only sport that has ever existed.  Just like VT fans acted like the men’s hammer throw was an NCAA team sport when VT had an athlete place 1st individually some years back.

But if you really want to pull that card, at least UVA has been ranked #1 in both revenue sports.  Even football.  🙂

Somewhere, in a dark and lonely corner of a musty old bar, cigarette smoke whirled from the breeze created by a squeaky ceiling fan. The old man in a well worn VT hat lifted a solitary eye brow, breaking his long stare into the shot of cheap bourbon 🥃 sitting before him, when the juke box came to life. The stranger had made his selection and the machined whirrred as the record fell into place. “Mind if I join you”, he asked the crumpled shell of a man. The craggy old Hokie’s instinct was to tell the stranger to go to hell. But as the words formed on his lips, enter Sandman blared from the music box. His face softened, just a bit, as his brow unfurled.  “Sure”, he mumbled to this kindred soul. “Michael Vick”, he said as he half raised his glass in toast. “Michael Vick”, was the only reply.

”...hush little baby...exit light, enter night...”

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Uhh....  I'm an alumnus of the Polytechnic Institute (Class of 1993) and I care about college soccer.  I also continue to revel in our 2007 bass fishing national championship.

But don't let me get in the way of a good internet scrum.  Carry on.

4 hours ago, mv91 said:

I am biased since I am from there but I would go with the West Virginia Mountaineers!!!  Exciting offense!!  Plays in a good conference!!  Great QB, especially this year and an early Heisman hopeful in Will Grier!!  Defense not too shabby either!!

WVU is a totally different team than most support here! I do like the way they play ball, too.

3 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Uhh....  I'm an alumnus of the Polytechnic Institute (Class of 1993) and I care about college soccer.  I also continue to revel in our 2007 bass fishing national championship.

But don't let me get in the way of a good internet scrum.  Carry on.

Keep it going. I think UVA is winning so far.

24 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

Keep it going. I think UVA is winning so far.

There is a line from Roadhouse that says something to the effect that you should never marry an ugly woman. They will drain you. 

One could argue that both UVA and VT are ugly woman.

But UVA’s sports program is more complete💪🏈🏀🎾🏐🥅🥊

VT does have 🎣 title though. 

7 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

There is a line from Roadhouse that says something to the effect that you should never marry an ugly woman. They will drain you. 

One could argue that both UVA and VT are ugly woman.

But UVA’s sports program is more complete💪🏈🏀🎾🏐🥅🥊

VT does have 🎣 title though. 

But what about the old adage: “If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife”?

5 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Why bless your heart!  We are talking about COMPLETE sports programs...

NATIONAL championships for Alabama since 2009 

• Football: 2009: 2011; 2012; 2015, 2017
  • Gymnastics: 2011; 2012
  • Men’s Golf: 2013; 2014
  • Women’s Golf: 2012
  • Softball: 2012