Top returners...

Sniper

I'm new on this message board, but not to swva sports, so this may have already been discussed and I just missed it but what are a few of the top/impact players each team returns. 

I also think it'd be cool for people to post their "all-swva preseason team" so everyone is sharing their opinion and information since some people will have more knowledge of the teams/players directly around them. 

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

I'm new on this message board, but not to swva sports, so this may have already been discussed and I just missed it but what are a few of the top/impact players each team returns. 

I also think it'd be cool for people to post their "all-swva preseason team" so everyone is sharing their opinion and information since some people will have more knowledge of the teams/players directly around them. 

For Union the Polier kid is definitely one to watch. He will be a junior this year and just has got stronger. I believe he has made the move to LB this year. Bailey Turner is returning to the QB position after a season ending knee injury in the 2nd week last year. Jenkins is another tough player to watch, he’s quick as lightning just has to toughen up between the tackles. Bunch is returning on the line and with another year of experience under his belt he will be a force on the line.Those are three that come to my mind. Can’t wait for Friday nights!

For VHS....

Aaron Rose/Sr. ;  Entering 4th year as a starter at LB....2 time All-District LB, 2017 First Team All-Region LB, 2017 Honorable Mention All-State LB, 2017 Second Team All-District RB....lead team in tackles and sacks in 2016, lead team in tackles by nearly 40 tackles in 2017, led team in rushing yards, ypc, and rushing TDs in 2017 while only being 3rd on the team in total carries, 2017 team defensive MVP....has racked up numerous opportunities to play at the next level

Jamie Lathrop/Sr.;  Entering 4th year as a starter(2nd as QB, 2 years at CB).... in 2017, led team in total yards and total TDs, 3rd in rushing yards and 2nd in total carries in 2017, 2nd team All-District QB in 2017...has drawn interest from a couple of schools to play at the next level

Austin Davidson/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at WR, KR, and PR, in 2017 led team in all return yardage categories with multiple return TDs, excels as a reliable chain mover on 3rd downs from his slot position, will be expected to play a big role on defense as a CB....extremely hard worker on and off the field

Colton Ratcliffe/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at OLB(some CB and S as well), kick blocker extraordinaire with 6 total blocked kicks in 2017, 1st team All-District and 2nd team All-Region defensive utility player in 2017, will expand his role this year as our kicker, a WR, and RB in multiple back sets

Taurean Bizzel/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at CB, most improved player on the team from 2016 to 2017, led team in INTs in 2017, will expand role as a WR on offense.... 2018 1st Team All-State goalie in soccer

Sean Watkins/Sr;  Entering 3rd year as a starter at LT, 1st Team All-District and 2nd Team All-Region LT in 2017, big kid who will expand his role as a DE, has drawn interest from a couple of colleges

There are a few more players that are expected to be impact guys this season. 2018 has been a season that Bristol has looked forward to for a number of years. The Bearcats lack depth and will need to stay injury free, but should have one of the best starting lineups they have produced, in decades.

Most of the athletes I mentioned above are multi year starters in other sports as well, and have received a number of post season accolades in those sports too.

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

For VHS....

Aaron Rose/Sr. ;  Entering 4th year as a starter at LB....2 time All-District LB, 2017 First Team All-Region LB, 2017 Honorable Mention All-State LB, 2017 Second Team All-District RB....lead team in tackles and sacks in 2016, lead team in tackles by nearly 40 tackles in 2017, led team in rushing yards, ypc, and rushing TDs in 2017 while only being 3rd on the team in total carries, 2017 team defensive MVP....has racked up numerous opportunities to play at the next level

Jamie Lathrop/Sr.;  Entering 4th year as a starter(2nd as QB, 2 years at CB).... in 2017, led team in total yards and total TDs, 3rd in rushing yards and 2nd in total carries in 2017, 2nd team All-District QB in 2017...has drawn interest from a couple of schools to play at the next level

Austin Davidson/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at WR, KR, and PR, in 2017 led team in all return yardage categories with multiple return TDs, excels as a reliable chain mover on 3rd downs from his slot position, will be expected to play a big role on defense as a CB....extremely hard worker on and off the field

Colton Ratcliffe/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at OLB(some CB and S as well), kick blocker extraordinaire with 6 total blocked kicks in 2017, 1st team All-District and 2nd team All-Region defensive utility player in 2017, will expand his role this year as our kicker, a WR, and RB in multiple back sets

Taurean Bizzel/Sr;  Entering 2nd year as a starter at CB, most improved player on the team from 2016 to 2017, led team in INTs in 2017, will expand role as a WR on offense.... 2018 1st Team All-State goalie in soccer

Sean Watkins/Sr;  Entering 3rd year as a starter at LT, 1st Team All-District and 2nd Team All-Region LT in 2017, big kid who will expand his role as a DE, has drawn interest from a couple of colleges

There are a few more players that are expected to be impact guys this season. 2018 has been a season that Bristol has looked forward to for a number of years. The Bearcats lack depth and will need to stay injury free, but should have one of the best starting lineups they have produced, in decades.

Most of the athletes I mentioned above are multi year starters in other sports as well, and have received a number of post season accolades in those sports too.

I believe lacking depth is a problem for several teams this year including some of the high ranking ones preseason. Multisport athletes are often a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I believe lacking depth is a problem for several teams this year including some of the high ranking ones preseason. Multisport athletes are often a good thing. 

Unfortunately, I agree. So many schools have declining numbers of kids playing sports in this area(especially football). Fortnite, and the like, are more popular with this generation of kids than getting outside and doing the work it takes to become a good athlete. The game of football is also suffering because of the growing number of families that fear the idea of their child being injured.

As bad as I hate to say this, I believe the best days of football are behind us, for good. Anybody who watched some of the Hall of Fame game Thursday night, should agree. The new NFL rule on head position when tackling, will make games nearly unwatchable. Typically, things like that trickle down to college, high school, and below. I feel that numbers will only continue to decline in our beloved sport.

Yes, I've learned during my son's recruiting process, of the importance of multi-sport athletes, in the eyes of college coaches. There are so many benefits to playing multiple sports versus specializing in one sport.

4 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

As bad as I hate to say this, I believe the best days of football are behind us, for good. Anybody who watched some of the Hall of Fame game Thursday night, should agree. The new NFL rule on head position when tackling, will make games nearly unwatchable. Typically, things like that trickle down to college, high school, and below. I feel that numbers will only continue to decline in our beloved sport.

While I agree with you on many things here, I expect that the NFL is ramping up the flags for this penalty in the preseason to try and get it in players heads since very few people are watching.  Then they will dial it back as the season starts.  I hope I am right on this one at least.  HS already has the rules in place to make a difference here IMO without a need to increase their frequency.

46 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

While I agree with you on many things here, I expect that the NFL is ramping up the flags for this penalty in the preseason to try and get it in players heads since very few people are watching.  Then they will dial it back as the season starts.  I hope I am right on this one at least.  HS already has the rules in place to make a difference here IMO without a need to increase their frequency.

I would definitely like to be wrong about this. There was a personal foul called in the game the other night, that just made me shake my head.

I have learned on here, that you are a respected official, so you would most certainly know more than me about the goings on of rule interpretation/ enforcement, so I hope you're right. I'm all for safety, especially for HS kids, but there are certain aspects of football that differ from other sports, namely physicality. I would hate to see the game lose what, whether people want to admit it or not, one of the big things that attracts so many fans to the sport we love. It touches on the barbaric nature section of our human instincts.

You are throwing that R word around awfully loosely.  

I have a hard time with some new rules and adjusting to call them.  Its against my football nature as well, but in a day and age of litigation many rules have been added to try and protect the sport.   Some have their place, and some I think are unnecessary but I and many others who feel that way will do our best to apply the rules appropriately. 

7 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

You are throwing that R word around awfully loosely.  

I have a hard time with some new rules and adjusting to call them.  Its against my football nature as well, but in a day and age of litigation many rules have been added to try and protect the sport.   Some have their place, and some I think are unnecessary but I and many others who feel that way will do our best to apply the rules appropriately. 

I respect you guys that go out and officiate sporting events. I used to do a lot of umpiring in baseball, but the way so many "fans" are today, they just took the fun out of it for me. There are so many people who are so quick to throw blame at an official, without taking into account, either the possibility of human error on the part of the official, or, Heaven forbid, the official made the right call and these people have no idea what in the hell they are talking about.😂

I don't envy you guys in today's world, but I do respect you.