Speaking of Helmets...

Sniper

I've always thought Graham's were the sharpest around. I know I'm an older dude now, but I'm diggin' the new Bearcat lids. Also like the ones from Tazewell. I don't see GC gettin' blue ones anytime soon. They just got new white ones in this spring from a post that I saw, but we can hope. Also, burn the grey britches!

19 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Tazewell’s helmets were pretty sweet looking last year!

4FB3D954-9CDF-4F1A-BE7B-853DBA8DE3FB.jpeg

I have to say that I like the look of that Bulldog helmet.  Are they using this helmet again this year or changing to another design this year ?

After seeing some pics y'all posted I like most all of them. I'd have to say I like the Thomas Walker lid pretty well. Blue and White/Gray is always gonna look good to me tho. Lighting does make it look tan but you know it's gray. VHS new ones are cool too. 

I have to agree with the GC folks as far as the gray britches. I just don't think they look right. I'm not from GC but to me they just need white pants with their blue jerseys at home. That's my personal preference anyway. I like the opposite for road games tho. Dark britches and white jerseys. Not a fan of all white. All white would be ok for me in a special "white out" game with the whole crowd in white too or something.

I think Eastsides would look a little better is the E was smaller but not bad.  I think each coach should put their own touch on the program if they can when they come in and helmets are a good way to do it when buying new jerseys isnt feasible for everyone.  TWs is an old school design for them but updated it enough with color changes that it looks really clean.  

3 hours ago, Bigrhsfan said:

I have to say that I like the look of that Bulldog helmet.  Are they using this helmet again this year or changing to another design this year ?

They have been practicing in the white helmets, but I’ve heard they will be in green helmets for games.

15 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Those Eastside helmets are cringe worthy. Nicely done by Tazewell, very different and clean looking. Union’s white helmets are much better looking than the orange ones. But neither look very good. Very different approach for Va High this year. Looks like something Cincy would do. Assuming that’s a grey matte finish for Tomas Walker? Lighting looks weird but man, it’s a nice helmet. I’m burnt out on GC’s white helmets, but the decals are spot on. I’m hoping they go back to blue with white face masks...maybe next year? Wouldn’t mind seeing GC just flip flopping the blue and white. I’d even be a fan of going back to the cursive “Devils” with the pitchfork coming off the D on the left side and the S on the right side. Last year of that was 2008. 

Do you have a pic of the Gate City helmets you are referring too? They were blue with white facemasks when I played against them, just cant remember the decal. Always reminded me of the West Canaan Coyotes in Varsity Blues. Tazewell will also have a green helmet this year, i think.

19 minutes ago, Flanker87 said:

Do you have a pic of the Gate City helmets you are referring too? They were blue with white facemasks when I played against them, just cant remember the decal. Always reminded me of the West Canaan Coyotes in Varsity Blues. Tazewell will also have a green helmet this year, i think.

tihlee.jpg

36 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

Goodness didn't realize that pic would take up the page.....but at least you can see it...lol

It's nice work......Back in the day.

26 minutes ago, Flanker87 said:

I think this post gave me nightmares. That 03 State team was stacked and mopped us.

I think this one was from ‘07. PV beat our eyeballs shut earlier in the year then GC won this one at UVA-Wise 14-6. Then a couple of weeks later, Gretna beat them shut worse.

2 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

I think this one was from ‘07. PV beat our eyeballs shut earlier in the year then GC won this one at UVA-Wise 14-6. Then a couple of weeks later, Gretna beat them shut worse.

That’s the helmets and 100% correct on the game. Richlands, Lebanon, and PV got us in the regular season in 07.  We had to beat JIB in game 10 to make the playoffs at 7-3. We made it in and gained enough Power Points to leap frog Lebanon and host them game 11 even though they ousted us in the regular season. We then went on to PV for the Region D title with some great defensive play, it was fun, physical game to play in. Miss the days of winning and miss the days that someone going 7-3 could be sitting at the house after 10 games. I’m pretty sure Lee High went 7-3 in 2007 and missed out due to us winning vs JIB. 

41 minutes ago, Odin said:

It always bothered me that the blue on GC's helmets didn't match the blue on their uniforms. This may have something to do with the various shades of blue they were over the years.

Funny ain’t it? It was never really mentioned among players/coaches that they didn’t match. Appalachia had the same color helmet and they wore a darker blue jerseys as well.

It's hard to top Graham.  The G-star is sharp, iconic, relative, and timeless.  Glynn Carlock Sr., Pig Pruett, and Ray Brooks collaborated to design the perfect logo for the G-Men.  It went to another level when they coupled it with the decision to wear Cardinal Red and Gold,  NEVER CHANGE IT

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

It's hard to top Graham.  The G-star is sharp, iconic, relative, and timeless.  Glynn Carlock Sr., Pig Pruett, and Ray Brooks collaborated to design the perfect logo for the G-Men.  It went to another level when they coupled it with the decision to wear Cardinal Red and Gold,  NEVER CHANGE IT

Eh. I don’t like the color scheme. But that’s just a personal preference. I like the logo, just not the colors. 

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Those helmets are exponentially better than the atrocities they sport now.  The Block T and the Bulldog...don’t mess with it if it isn’t broken...

I wore the the same helmet minus the Gold. Easily the best looking of the choices. The Power T with Bulldog with always be the best logo.

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Eh. I don’t like the color scheme. But that’s just a personal preference. I like the logo, just not the colors. 

Second this. They scream Cardinal and Gold, then randomly you see Maroon. I know the School's academic colors are maroon and gray, would be a much better choice. But then again I cant stand anything Graham so it doesn't matter what they pick.

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I respect that. Color preferences are definitely subjective.  At least for me, it's hard to like color schemes from a team I've always disliked. 

2 hours ago, Flanker87 said:

Second this. They scream Cardinal and Gold, then randomly you see Maroon. I know the School's academic colors are maroon and gray, would be a much better choice. But then again I cant stand anything Graham so it doesn't matter what they pick.

I've noticed the drift in colors/shades you're talking about.  This seems to happen frequently in high school gear based on the supplier and their limit of color selections.   Marion's uniform colors are always some shade of red but are usually not Scarlet.

For what's worth, I've always heard that Graham's athletic colors were the same as the Redskins. Supposedly Carlock liked Vince Lombardi and incorporated the G from the Packers and the colors from the Redskins.  Incidentally, the Skins call their colors Burgundy and Gold.