Speaking of Helmets...

Sniper

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I respect that. Color preferences are definitely subjective.  At least for me, it's hard to like color schemes from a team I've always disliked. 

I've noticed the drift in colors/shades you're talking about.  This seems to happen frequently in high school gear based on the supplier and their limit of color selections.   Marion's uniform colors are always some shade of red but are usually not Scarlet.

For what's worth, I've always heard that Graham's athletic colors were the same as the Redskins. Supposedly Carlock liked Vince Lombardi and incorporated the G from the Packers and the colors from the Redskins.  Incidentally, the Skins call their colors Burgundy and Gold.

I was told that Carlock took the colors from his time in the Marines. BSN (where younger Carlock now is employed) is now the Nike to their Oregon. So the colors shouldn't be shifting anytime soon. I'm a Bulldog and Kelly green is extremely difficult to mimic between suppliers. The one huge pet peeve I had with Graham and helmets and uniforms, especially when I played them, was the yellow gold on the helmet and number shadow and the Vegas gold pants.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, Bulldogs52 said:

Tazewell’s helmets were pretty sweet looking last year!

4FB3D954-9CDF-4F1A-BE7B-853DBA8DE3FB.jpeg

As someone who doesn't particularly like white helmets, this one is pretty sharp.  Maybe its the White on White.  The new logo is definitely sharp.

36 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

As someone who doesn't particularly like white helmets, this one is pretty sharp.  Maybe its the White on White.  The new logo is definitely sharp.

Anything beats the atrocity from a few years back with the Furman style logo. 

3 hours ago, Flanker87 said:

I was told that Carlock took the colors from his time in the Marines. BSN (where younger Carlock now is employed) is now the Nike to their Oregon. So the colors shouldn't be shifting anytime soon. I'm a Bulldog and Kelly green is extremely difficult to mimic between suppliers. The one huge pet peeve I had with Graham and helmets and uniforms, especially when I played them, was the yellow gold on the helmet and number shadow and the Vegas gold pants.

I've also heard the Marine story about the Graham colors. 

By the way, I know Tazewell is Kelly green.  What is their trim color? The 1986 uniform pic had a bright yellow strip on the helmet and sleeves.  In this pic from 2007, the pants seem to be gold.

Image result for graham tazewell football

30 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

By the way, I know Tazewell is Kelly green.  What is their trim color? The 1986 uniform pic had a bright yellow strip on the helmet and sleeves.  In this pic from 2007, the pants seem to be gold.

Pretty sure that Tazewell's official colors are simply Kelly Green and White.  So anything beyond that is subject to the whim of any individual coach.  I thought the early '80s kit with the yellow trim and grey pants was pretty sharp.

Similar issue in Richlands.  Officially Navy and White are the colors (and Navy has only been the designated shade since 1980 or thereabouts).  But it's not unusual to see that paired with silver/grey.  And the basketball coaches favored light blue as an accent during the mid '80s there.

5 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Pretty sure that Tazewell's official colors are simply Kelly Green and White.  So anything beyond that is subject to the whim of any individual coach.  I thought the early '80s kit with the yellow trim and grey pants was pretty sharp.

Similar issue in Richlands.  Officially Navy and White are the colors (and Navy has only been the designated shade since 1980 or thereabouts).  But it's not unusual to see that paired with silver/grey.  And the basketball coaches favored light blue as an accent during the mid '80s there.

It was once Blue, white and red. We wore a helmet with a red R and red stripes on the pants in the 70s for a time. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It was once Blue, white and red. We wore a helmet with a red R and red stripes on the pants in the 70s for a time. 

No disrespect but I can't imagine that looking good.  Would love to see an image of that if available.

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Not exactly what I had in mind.  Never have understood why a team would go with something that has nothing to do with normal colors.

Light Blue and Red were part of the color scheme at Richlands before the 80's. 

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

No disrespect but I can't imagine that looking good.  Would love to see an image of that if available.

It wasn't too bad, actually.

Helmets were white -  some variation there with blue and red stripes and the aforementioned red 'R' from year to year.  Home jerseys were solid navy blue.  No stripes.  But numbers were white and sleeve cuffs were red.  White jerseys were similar (blue numbers and red cuffs).  Two sets of pants.  White pants had red/blue/red stripes.  Navy pants had white/red/white stripes.

There was also what I guess amounts to an "alternate" uniform, which was primarily light blue with red trim.  Light blue jerseys with red numerals and white sleeve cuffs.  Light blue pants with red/white/red stripes.

These were the uniforms I remember seeing as a really young kid going to games.  I'd peg the date range for them from about 1974 through 1978.

Highly unlikely that there are any color photographs showing these uniforms.  But there are definitely some random black and white shots from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph (particularly the football season preview editions from those years).

Messing around a bit with a template and Microsoft Paint I created the attached example.  Occasionally Richlands would also wear the blue pants at home (which was a pretty sharp looking combination, IMO).

Richlands uniform mid 1970s.jpg

Edited by RichlandsAlum
Added sketch of uniform

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Light Blue and Red were part of the color scheme at Richlands before the 80's. 

I think Coach Heldreth is the first person to officially "standardize" Navy Blue upon his arrival as football coach/AD in 1979.  Prior to that, there was a real hodgepodge of various shades of blue.

In football, Coach Hammond seemed to generally prefer Navy Blue with red trim -- although there was a light blue "alternate" with red trim that was also used.  His tenure was roughly from the late '60s to 1978 for the sake of reference.  Beginning approximately the time of the switch to polymer helmets in the early 1950's, Coach Hicks outfitted his teams in silver helmets and light blue jerseys.  (Very similar to the uniforms worn by the Detroit Lions -- who were extremely successful at that time and possibly influenced the RHS outfit).  This was pretty much a constant throughout the remainder of his tenure (which ended in 1964).

Light blue (in various forms and shades) was the primary color worn by basketball teams from about 1950 until the adoption of Navy Blue and white for the 1980-81 season.  Jack Lyons introduced red trim to those uniforms when he took over the helm in the mid 1970's.

When baseball was reintroduced in the late 1970s, the color scheme was primarily Navy Blue and white with red trim.  There was also a single random grey stripe on the home white jersey (sandwiched between a red stripe and a blue stripe).  Coach Altizer introduced road greys with Navy trim and home whites with Navy pinstripes in the early 1980s.

I've basically heard that the only official stance in terms of color prior to 1979 was simply "blue."  In any event, some of the variants (like letterman's jackets and cheerleader uniforms) were pretty dismal looking.  A lot of red started to appear in the mid 1970's.  I would guess that there might be some association between that and the observance of the Bicentennial -- or the gear salesmen were just told to push that particular color. 

Either way, my opinion is that the formal designation of Navy was a great -- and overdue -- improvement.  I wore some of the old light blue garb as a middle school player (it was simply handed down and re-used until it was pretty much worn out).  And although I appreciated the history associated with it, I wasn't upset to see it ultimately phased out.

It's a pay site, but the preview at the link below shows the light blue "alternate" jerseys.  Guessing the pants in the photo were plain white -- and probably practice pants because I don't remember those jerseys being worn without light blue pants in a game situation.

https://newspaperarchive.com/bluefield-daily-telegraph-aug-31-1975-p-58/

14 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Alright, This is the great debate of Tazewell. Ask anyone and according to age and if they played, you will get different answers. Kelly Green and White are official colors. The Gold has dabbled for awhile. Tazewell great John Rainey wore uniforms with Gold trim then they went away until Litz brought then back in the mid-80s during our heyday. After Litz left so did the yellow, Hart was strictly green and white. Wyatt's first year he wanted some black added and it got shot down so he went with Gold pants towards the end of his tenure. I think Smith was the one who ordered the Grey 80's Eagles lookalikes, tho I liked them. Allen brought the black. It is a hot button issue in our town, but only in every sport other than baseball. Lou Perry teams always had a black jersey and not an eyelash was batted at them. Every other team has had to succumb to the "only green and white" rule at least once. Cheerleaders still wore yellow into the mid 2000s and every some black in there now. Soccer dabbled with black until it was forced out and got stuck with hunter green uniforms. Now every team has sported black in some fashion. I love Kelly Green and White and I'm kind of old school with uniforms, but having black as an accent color makes the green really pop and I'm not alone in that opinion.

46 minutes ago, WaveFan09 said:

I’d like to see this 

4CE952DF-E330-4736-90F2-A5EE25271D05.jpeg

Maybe as an alternate or something. All I have ever known was the Notre Dame-eque look though, even down to the hash marks in the end zone. I know I am not alone in wanting them to go to the Wave man as their primary logo and ditch this Tulane ripoff logo. They've never had a gold jersey I have liked (my first memory of a gold jersey was that Amherst game, insert frowny face), but I have always liked blue jerseys on gold pants at home, and white on blue or white on white on the road.

4 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I think Coach Heldreth is the first person to officially "standardize" Navy Blue upon his arrival as football coach/AD in 1979.  Prior to that, there was a real hodgepodge of various shades of blue.

I can remember most of Richlands sports wearing light blue in the 70s. I assumed that was the official color.  It took me years to get used to the school using Navy.  

I also remember Gate City switching from Royal Blue to light blue for a few seasons.

Patrick Henry has alternated between light blue and Navy over the years.

35 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I can remember most of Richlands sports wearing light blue in the 70s. I assumed that was the official color.  It took me years to get used to the school using Navy.  

I also remember Gate City switching from Royal Blue to light blue for a few seasons.

In almost a photo negative way (compared to Richlands), I seem to recall Marion using blue as an accent color pretty frequently.  And on one occasion Sonny Hagy outfitted his team with blue jerseys -- which they changed into after pregame warm-ups.

I have always thought it cool that Graham has separate official colors for academics and athletics.  That doesn't alter the fact that I hate Graham (in a loving Christian way, of course).

3 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

In almost a photo negative way (compared to Richlands), I seem to recall Marion using blue as an accent color pretty frequently.  And on one occasion Sonny Hagy outfitted his team with blue jerseys -- which they changed into after pregame warm-ups.

I have always thought it cool that Graham has separate official colors for academics and athletics.  That doesn't alter the fact that I hate Graham (in a loving Christian way, of course).

We hate you in a loving Christian way too! 😊 Good luck this season bro!!! I personally like Richlands' blue helmets over those white ones.  

5 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

In 1988, Patrick Henrys home jerseys were red with blue strips

6 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Great story on Coach Hagy.

You remember correctly.  Marion's official colors are red and blue.  The blue was normally used as an accent or trim color but has disappeared for the most part since the 90s.  

Marion's current "color crisis" involves coaches and players trying to use black against the wishes of administrators .   

On 8/7/2018 at 2:58 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

That’s the helmets and 100% correct on the game. Richlands, Lebanon, and PV got us in the regular season in 07.  We had to beat JIB in game 10 to make the playoffs at 7-3. We made it in and gained enough Power Points to leap frog Lebanon and host them game 11 even though they ousted us in the regular season. We then went on to PV for the Region D title with some great defensive play, it was fun, physical game to play in. Miss the days of winning and miss the days that someone going 7-3 could be sitting at the house after 10 games. I’m pretty sure Lee High went 7-3 in 2007 and missed out due to us winning vs JIB. 

How PV gave that game away I'll never know. GC surely improved from regular season but PV handled them pretty handily (38-14) and should have done the same st UVAW, just laid an egg. But GC did beat Norton who beat PV by four in a wild game. The wildest was losing 8-7 at Clintwood, a game PV should've won. Went 8-4 but should have been 9-1 going into playoffs instead of 7-3.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:01 PM, Flanker87 said:

I've always been told he picked Cardinal Red and Gold because he was a Redskins fan...prior to his arrival, athletic colors were same as school colors, maroon and gray.