COACHING SALARIES

jarhead24219

I have often wondered what kind of money is involved in coaching?Does each school decide what to pay a head coach and is it based on years of service, or is it set by the county, and is each head coach paid the same within , say WISE COUNTY, or other systems?I have heard that sometimes the community helps with the money issue when coaches win state or when another school is after the head coach.

Coaching stipends are listed on every school system site. Gate City's head coach makes a little under $6,000. Va High pays about $10,000. Most schools fall into that range. Assistant coaches probably average $1,500 if they get paid at all. Teaching salaries depend on education and experience.

For the long hours they put in basically year round now, they end up making pennies per hour if that. To think Tazewell County almost took those pennies away from their coaches, the school board that never ceases to amaze . Some districts may have stipends listed on their webpages. 

Most coaches have such a positive effect on young men and ladies in shaping their lives, COACH BOLLING insisited that his players be great citizens first.I was just wondering about pay in general and how RICHLANDS keeps MANCE all these years when other schools must have offered him BIG $$$$ to coach at another school,I JUST FIGURED THAT STRONG COMMUNITY SUPPORT $$$$ kept him in place, and thats a good thing. Take a look at look at APPOMATTOXS' DOUG SMITH,untill he showed up they were just a average program. I spoke to several APPO fans at the UNION VS APPO game last year, they told me that several collages were trying to get him to coach , and that the community came up with GIFTS "$$$$$" TO KEEP HIM THERE.

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Most coaches have such a positive effect on young men and ladies in shaping their lives, COACH BOLLING insisited that his players be great citizens first.I was just wondering about pay in general and how RICHLANDS keeps MANCE all these years when other schools must have offered him BIG $$$$ to coach at another school,I JUST FIGURED THAT STRONG COMMUNITY SUPPORT $$$$ kept him in place, and thats a good thing. Take a look at look at APPOMATTOXS' DOUG SMITH,untill he showed up they were just a average program. I spoke to several APPO fans at the UNION VS APPO game last year, they told me that several collages were trying to get him to coach , and that the community came up with GIFTS "$$$$$" TO KEEP HIM THERE.

To my knowledge nobody in appo has given coach Smith gifts. Personally due to his beliefs and morals I can't see him accepting anything under the table. 

Mance is a math teacher. I doubt he has been recruited by any other school system. He works at Richlands because that's where he lives. It's not like another school system is going to recruit him away... Why move your home & family to make a thousand more dollars? This is why I am curious as to whether Akers will stay with Scott County in January. Not much demand for drivers ed teachers. 

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Mance is a math teacher. I doubt he has been recruited by any other school system. He works at Richlands because that's where he lives. It's not like another school system is going to recruit him away... Why move your home & family to make a thousand more dollars? This is why I am curious as to whether Akers will stay with Scott County in January. Not much demand for drivers ed teachers. 

I thought Mance taught PE. Not meant to sound offensive but I don't think a high school math teacher would need his wife to be co-AD as published by The Voice in Tazewell County Personnel changes. If I'm not mistaken Ricky Vencil previous AD at Richlands is a math teacher and I don't think he had a co-AD. 

10 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I was just wondering about pay in general and how RICHLANDS keeps MANCE all these years when other schools must have offered him BIG $$$$ to coach at another school,I JUST FIGURED THAT STRONG COMMUNITY SUPPORT $$$$ kept him in place, and thats a good thing.

Or maybe he just loves Richlands and realizes he has it made at a school where his program is king??

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

Dennis Vaught (sp?) might disagree... Apologies for being dead ass wrong about the math thing. I'm old & feeble. 

*Also, at RHS he doesn't have to mow \ paint the game field. 

Richlands has always had a strong football program , at least for several decades even before Mance and still does during his tenure as head coach. I think everyone can agree on that point. 

The one question that has not been answered is this, is there a different pay say:WISE CENTRAL head coach VS UNION head coach "if both have the same resume" and does RICHLANDS HEAD COACH MAKE MORE THAN GRAHAMS? THOSE TWO SCHOOLS could be changed with any other schools in the same system , UNION VS EASTSIDE ECT. ECT. ECT. JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS A SET $$$ for each head coach no matter where you are or how good your program is

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

The one question that has not been answered is this, is there a different pay say:WISE CENTRAL head coach VS UNION head coach "if both have the same resume" and does RICHLANDS HEAD COACH MAKE MORE THAN GRAHAMS? THOSE TWO SCHOOLS could be changed with any other schools in the same system , UNION VS EASTSIDE ECT. ECT. ECT. JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS A SET $$$ for each head coach no matter where you are or how good your program is

Within each county the coaching stipends will be the same. In Scott Co (per their website), a head football coach stipend is $5,010. I'm not sure what Wise Co is now, but it used to be 13% of the coach's teacher salary.