Park View of Sterling cancels their season

Bluefield researcher

Is there any type of financial penalty a school would have to pay for something like this?  I know if they don't have the numbers, they don't have the numbers, but to wait until this close to the start of games seems odd.  I understand they wanted to hold off as long as they could but now other schools will have a hard time finding opponents with common open dates.  

Seems to me it would put a lot of schools in distress to find that extra game. I understand not having enough kids to play, but this had to be seen back when summer workouts began. Did the coaches think they could talk enough people into playing or what? This story as a lot of unanswered questions, I am sure a lot of people would like to know!

I hate it for the kids. One would think that the PV kids would be allowed to play somewhere adjacent since the school isn't sponsoring a squad similar to how Garden and Whitewood would join up when WW wouldn't have enough kids out. However, they think of things a little differently on things up there I have learned. Another thing I took away was that MP might not have a team either. It was my understanding and assumption they had a pretty healthy population at that school, but without seeing the numbers in front of me I could not be sure. We are definitely in a different era if teams in NOVA are worrying about numbers.

Park View - Sterling has an enrollment of approximately 1,450 students.  We have some close friends with two boys in that school system.  It's my understanding, they had 18 kids come out for football with 14 of those never having played anything more than flag football.  It's not as big a loss or disappointment to that community as it would be for others.  According to a Yahoo Sports article from a couple days ago, PV-Sterling also has several kids of former NFL players among it's student body.  Centennial High in neighboring Maryland cancelled last football season at about this time last year.  They will field a team this season with 25 players and no JV program.  Two high schools in Indiana and one in Chicago recently cancelled this upcoming season for lack of participation. 

It's a growing trend that isn't going to stop, I'm afraid.

11 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Looking over at FourSeasonsFootball.com, you can see PV Sterling has had success in the past. Sad to see a program fall so hard, so fast.

Makes you wonder, is any program safe from such a demise?

No. I saw it first hand tonight.......lawd.

14 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Looking over at FourSeasonsFootball.com, you can see PV Sterling has had success in the past. Sad to see a program fall so hard, so fast.

Makes you wonder, is any program safe from such a demise?

Agree. Many schools would love to have their past success (.580 winning %,  1 State Title,  3 State Runner-Ups).  

I'm afraid this could happen anywhere. 

19 minutes ago, GMan said:

From what I've heard, PV-Sterling has a predominantly Latino/Hispanic enrollment...those kids are more interested in futbol, not football...

A friend of ours living in that area told us PV-Sterling could have fielded four varsity soccer teams last spring given the number of kids who tried out.

There are so many reasons outside of concussion talk. Football is time consuming along with hard play which all of you know. A lot of kids don’t want to put in the time and you have some parents say it’s ok because it’s one less travel to worry about. A commitment to football also has to come from the parents as with other sports.This isn’t the case for all but part of it. Add video games and entitlement attitude and the teaching of non-competition( I have actually heard a parent say that scoring should not be kept in jv ball. I asked this parent if I was interviewing your son/daughter for a job opening that I shouldn’t look at their gpa- she said of course you should-so it was sports in general.) The coaching I have done I have not seen one concussion in 3rd-7th grade during a 5 year span not saying there hasn’t been one. I also think there is no sense of pride in playing for your school like there used to be even if you don’t start.

10 minutes ago, Single A west said:

There are so many reasons outside of concussion talk. Football is time consuming along with hard play which all of you know. A lot of kids don’t want to put in the time and you have some parents say it’s ok because it’s one less travel to worry about. A commitment to football also has to come from the parents as with other sports.This isn’t the case for all but part of it. Add video games and entitlement attitude and the teaching of non-competition( I have actually heard a parent say that scoring should not be kept in jv ball. I asked this parent if I was interviewing your son/daughter for a job opening that I shouldn’t look at their gpa- she said of course you should-so it was sports in general.) The coaching I have done I have not seen one concussion in 3rd-7th grade during a 5 year span not saying there hasn’t been one. I also think there is no sense of pride in playing for your school like there used to be even if you don’t start.

I think this says as much as anything.  I'm not going to open the whole transfer subject again but to be a part of a team/town for your whole school time just to transfer the last year just because you want to win...

Nobody likes to lose but it's as much being part of a team as anything.  Not the what am I going to get out of this attitude.

2 hours ago, Single A west said:

I also think there is no sense of pride in playing for your school like there used to be even if you don’t start.

I think this may be a bigger issue than most realize.  County consolidation in SWVA and urban sprawl in NOVA/Richmond/Tidewater have created a sort-of disconnect within what used to be tight-knit communities.  Folks took pride in those communities and that usually centered around the local school system.  That has gotten lost with NOVA/Tidewater/Richmond having built several new schools every year for several decades and SWVA losing the town supported schools in favor of a large, nondescript county school.

52 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think this may be a bigger issue than most realize.  County consolidation in SWVA and urban sprawl in NOVA/Richmond/Tidewater have created a sort-of disconnect within what used to be tight-knit communities.  Folks took pride in those communities and that usually centered around the local school system.  That has gotten lost with NOVA/Tidewater/Richmond having built several new schools every year for several decades and SWVA losing the town supported schools in favor of a large, nondescript county school.

Northeast Tennessee is just starting this, Sullivan County will be the first, when Westridge opens in 2020. Greene County and Carter County are starting their consolidation conversations, and it is only a matter of time till Wise County and Russell County and Tazewell Counties start to consolidate. I hate it but it's just reality! 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:29 PM, sixcat said:

I believe is also a big part of it.  Example option 1 how will Graham fans feel when they are rolled into Tazewell in the who knows when future?  Option 2 How will Graham or Tazewell fans feel if a new East Tazewell school is built?  I know its all speculation and guess work as to what the future brings here but as a die hard Bulldog, if option 2 comes to truth, I don't know what I would feel.  It's not my school after all...

On August 13, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Single A west said:

Pride is a problem. Hardly ever see a letter jacket anymore. When I started to high school I wanted to earn a letter so I could get jacket and wear my school colors.