Park View of Sterling cancels their season

Bluefield researcher

9 hours ago, Pro Gold said:

Pride is a problem. Hardly ever see a letter jacket anymore. When I started to high school I wanted to earn a letter so I could get jacket and wear my school colors. 

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a single letter jacket in Galax in at least a decade! 

Here are some of the numbers for MANASAS PARK HS,number of kids enrolled 992, of that 52.1% are hispanic,25.4% are white, and 9.9% are black.49.6% recieve free lunches, the school is ranked 299th out 324 high schools as far as tests scores .This kinda paints a picture of that community, a poor community with many many hispanic peoples bringing their culture (soccer vs football).They have MS-13 problems and that in itself spells trouble for any town/city and its schools, football is the least of their worries

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Here are some of the numbers for MANASAS PARK HS,number of kids enrolled 992, of that 52.1% are hispanic,25.4% are white, and 9.9% are black.49.6% recieve free lunches, the school is ranked 299th out 324 high schools as far as tests scores .This kinda paints a picture of that community, a poor community with many many hispanic peoples bringing their culture (soccer vs football).They have MS-13 problems and that in itself spells trouble for any town/city and its schools, football is the least of their worries

Manassas Park and Manassas are Exhibit A and Exhibit B when it comes to gentrification.  There are many examples, but this is the best.  The minority population is just 29% of the total population of Manassas Park, but the minority population of Manassas Park High School is indeed 75%.  That’s one of the more incongruous figures I’ve ever seen when comparing community and school demographics.

Also incongruous is the fact that Manassas Park High School is 299th of 324 in testing data, yet has an AP participation rate of 60%.  I can’t recall ever seeing something like that, either. It’s like a dystopian “Stand and Deliver”.

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Chapel Hill High (NC), with an enrollment of 1463, cancels varsity football this season due to low turnout.

East Chapel Hill cancelled football for 2017. Neighboring Cedar Ridge has also cancelled football for 2018. 

East Chapel Hill has 44 wins in school history and no playoff history whatsoever.  Chapel Hill is 2-13 lifetime in the postseason and hasn’t made the playoffs since 2008.  Cedar Ridge hasn’t fielded a competitive team since 2007. 

Its not demographics in the Chapel Hill area.  They haven’t valued football in that region in forever!

There is another component to these cancellations that no one mentions.  Loudoun County has at least 10 high schools (more I think).  They allow the students to pick which high school they want to attend.  Many, many football players chose to go to the "football" schools in the county.  The same happens in the other sports.  We happened to do a fairly big job in Loudoun not long ago.  The locals, who cared about HS sports, stated that there are football schools, basketball schools and so on. 

Manassas Park is about 3 blocks away from Osbourne Park High School.  Most of the MP football players now go to Osbourne due to a much better stadium, weight room, coaching staff etc.  The school jurisdictions allow it.  Same thing happens at George Mason in Falls Church...only they get all the soccer players in the area due to Moore Cadillac giving them the nicest facilities for soccer anywhere around. 

Can't really blame the folks for taking advantage of the situations.  But this PROBABLY would not have happened at PV Sterling or MP if the locales had hard and fast rules about playing in the jurisdiction in which you live.

• 4 weeks later...

Question

Loudon Valley was suppose to play Parkview this week 9/21

Loudon Valley never found a replacement game

Does Loudon Valley get a forfeit win from Parkview

If so in WV AAA Ratings Martinsburg would get a bonus point which could be a huge point at the end of the year

On 8/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, Bearcat Bob said:

There is another component to these cancellations that no one mentions.  Loudoun County has at least 10 high schools (more I think).  They allow the students to pick which high school they want to attend. 

I don't think that's true.  Got a source for that?

3 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

I don't think that's true.  Got a source for that?

It is true to the best of my knowledge.  As a normal course of business, Loudoun routinely grants special circumstance waivers for any pre-HS student wishing to attend a school outside of their normal school zone, at least according to my source.  See below for the special permission taken from their website.  If the student wants to transfer after entering the ninth grade, the normal VHSL transfer policy applies.  So, if an 8th grader wants to attend Loudoun Valley instead of Park View Sterling, even though he/she lives in the PV school zone, the waiver is granted.  If it turns out the grass was not greener and he/she wants to transfer back, he/she would have to sit out 365 like any other transfer...unless the school she/he is attending dropped a curriculum and was no longer available. 

I think that, technically, this is the same routine state-wide.  Loudoun just routinely grants the special circumstance waiver where as many (most?) jurisdictions do not.  I live in Rockingham County and it is very tough to get the special waiver to go from say, East Rock to Spotswood. 

Special Permission Reason

Circumstances

Time Frame to Apply

Employee Special Permission

Parent or guardian works at a Loudoun County Public school and would like to have their child attend their school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from school.  There must be sufficient capacity.

March 1-August 15 (Note, only parents who work at a school where they wish to bring their student(s) - or would like their child to attend the elementary school in their cluster -  may apply starting March 1, otherwise, the parent should apply beginning April 1)

Special Permission

Parent or guardian would like their child to attend a school with available space outside of the school boundary which serves their current Loudoun residence. The parent will provide transportation to and from school. There must be sufficient capacity.

April 1-August 15

Family Relocation (Move-In)

Parent or guardian is currently residing in Loudoun County, but is building, buying, or will rent a home where the student will reside during the school year in Loudoun County, and would like their child to start at the school which serves their future residence.  There must be sufficient capacity in the requested grade for elementary-age students.

Year Round* (you will need to register your child at the school that serves your current attendance zone and then fill out a Family Relocation form and provide proof of a pending lease or settlement date which occurs during the school year.

Family Relocation (Move-Out)

Parent or guardian moves out of the school zone (still within Loudoun County) where their student started the school year and would like their child to finish the school year at the same school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from that school. The move must take place during the school year.

ONLY during the current school year until June 1*

CLICK HERE FOR MOVES WHICH OCCUR AFTER 8/24/18 

A bit off topic but I didn't deem it worthy of a new thread.  

I was told something over the weekend by someone I have known since childhood that I can't wrap my mind around and certainly don't believe.  I can't find proof to support either side of the argument.  I was hoping someone on here would have some definitive rebuttal.  It made it's way yo that other board so, I thought I would seek clarification here. 

He stated, if a kid enters 9th grade and leaves the public school system in favor of home-school, the school system must count that student until that students class graduates from high school.  I get the school system would likely be required to count this student for the remainder of the 9th grade school year, but surely not an additional 3 more years!?!?!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

A bit off topic but I didn't deem it worthy of a new thread.  

I was told something over the weekend by someone I have known since childhood that I can't wrap my mind around and certainly don't believe.  I can't find proof to support either side of the argument.  I was hoping someone on here would have some definitive rebuttal.  It made it's way yo that other board so, I thought I would seek clarification here. 

He stated, if a kid enters 9th grade and leaves the public school system in favor of home-school, the school system must count that student until that students class graduates from high school.  I get the school system would likely be required to count this student for the remainder of the 9th grade school year, but surely not an additional 3 more years!?!?!

That seems highly unlikely based on the two links...

https://heav.org/virginia-homeschool-laws/access-to-public-school-systems/page/9/

Excerpt..The Bona Fide Student and Enrollment Rule—The student shall be a regular bona fide student in good standing of the school which he/she represents. There is an obvious problem for homeschoolers with this rule: according to VHSL policy, a “regular” student is considered a full-time student who is in regular attendance.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title22.1/chapter13.2/section22.1-253.13:2/

Excerpt...N. Students enrolled in a public school on a less than full-time basis shall be counted in ADM in the relevant school division. Students who are either (i) enrolled in a nonpublic school or (ii) receiving home instruction pursuant to § 22.1-254.1, and who are enrolled in public school on a less than full-time basis in any mathematics, science, English, history, social science, career and technical education, fine arts, foreign language, or health education or physical education course shall be counted in the ADM in the relevant school division on a pro rata basis as provided in the appropriation act. Each such course enrollment by such students shall be counted as 0.25 in the ADM; however, no such nonpublic or home school student shall be counted as more than one-half a student for purposes of such pro rata calculation. Such calculation shall not include enrollments of such students in any other public school courses.

It would seem the state doesn't want to pay for them even if they are part-time since they only allow them to count as a portion related to the number of classes they are taking. And the VHSL won't consider them eligible unless they are a "regular" full-time student. So, if the home schooled student isn't taking any classes at the public school in their district then the VHSL nor the VDOE will consider them for ADM/Eligibility purposes.