Way Too Early VHSL Class 2 Preseason Poll

HowTheWestWasWon2017

My boys here in Radford had a crazy game with Gate City last year. The white kid had mad skillz. Now that he is gone and going over what I saw in the playoffs here is my preview for this way to early basketball poll. Feel free to comment. 

1.  Radford - Our guys havent forgot the last game they played and who they faced. Word on the Avenue is the Cats want a piece of that title held by Gate City and plan on taking it by force. Bobcats take it all this year. No questions. 

With QMR, Cormany, Jones and company we will have the title in hand come March. But for Gate City all you have to say is No Mac McClung.... No State Title. 

Nice run but it's done now. 

2.  Dan River 

3. Goochland

4. East Rockingham

5. Martinsville

6. Appomattox

7. Central-Wise. -  Had friends who went to watch Gate City play this team in their conference tourney and said without the Mac kid this team would have beat them.  Gate City is upset early by this team this year. 

8. Gate City - Watched Gate City play at Radford. Without the Mac kid they do not go anywhere. The tall white kid Irving is good but not as good as the pogo stick.The other kid Deans I think it is didnt do much that I saw. They will be very easy to guard and what I saw from the program not very athletic or tough. The Blue Devils get one year to experience a championship.  It's back to normal this year with the Cats. 

9. Glenvar - The Landers had a young team last year and played very competitive. Keep an eye out. 

Tie 10. Robert E. Lee - Staunton -  New head coach in second year and they lose a transfer guard and Vaughn who is going to Old Dominion. Lee will be competitive but not their old selves. Getting stunned in state took some steam out of their sails. If Lee makes it out of East somehow they get the Cats. Not much better for them again either. 

Tie 10. Central Woodstock

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2018 at 5:12 PM, Ryan4VT said:

If you think GC falls all the way to 8th, then you’re just dreaming. 

Gate City pummeled Western Albemarle this summer...and both teams had their studs. WA coach Maynard said GC would win the Jefferson District hands down. 8th?  Hardly. 

Martinsville is ranked way to high. Most of their talent is very young and they are probably 1-2 years away from competing on a state level again. Also their schedule does them no favors this year with a young team, EC Glass, Liberty-Bedford, Northside, RE Lee, GW-Danville, and others makes for a very tough year. I look for the Dogs to have a losing record going into the playoffs. Also Gate City at 8 is a joke, they are much better than that, and DR at 2? Martinsville beat them in the playoffs last year and the Dogs couldn't score 60 points in a game last year if they were on the court with no opponent to play against.

GC was predominantly a one man show.  Not because the others weren’t talented but because mac controlled the games when needed.  Ervin is a great player and Dean isn’t bad but their season will depend on their defense and the kids coming up from JV.  

On 8/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

My boys here in Radford had a crazy game with Gate City last year. The white kid had mad skillz. Now that he is gone and going over what I saw in the playoffs here is my preview for this way to early basketball poll. Feel free to comment. 

1.  Radford - Our guys havent forgot the last game they played and who they faced. Word on the Avenue is the Cats want a piece of that title held by Gate City and plan on taking it by force. Bobcats take it all this year. No questions. 

With QMR, Cormany, Jones and company we will have the title in hand come March. But for Gate City all you have to say is No Mac McClung.... No State Title. 

Nice run but it's done now. 

2.  Dan River 

3. Goochland

4. East Rockingham

5. Martinsville

6. Appomattox

7. Central-Wise. -  Had friends who went to watch Gate City play this team in their conference tourney and said without the Mac kid this team would have beat them.  Gate City is upset early by this team this year. 

8. Gate City - Watched Gate City play at Radford. Without the Mac kid they do not go anywhere. The tall white kid Irving is good but not as good as the pogo stick.The other kid Deans I think it is didnt do much that I saw. They will be very easy to guard and what I saw from the program not very athletic or tough. The Blue Devils get one year to experience a championship.  It's back to normal this year with the Cats. 

9. Glenvar - The Landers had a young team last year and played very competitive. Keep an eye out. 

Tie 10. Robert E. Lee - Staunton -  New head coach in second year and they lose a transfer guard and Vaughn who is going to Old Dominion. Lee will be competitive but not their old selves. Getting stunned in state took some steam out of their sails. If Lee makes it out of East somehow they get the Cats. Not much better for them again either. 

Tie 10. Central Woodstock

Been hitting the medical weed hard huh??

I cant take anyone seriously who doesn't even have Graham in their Top 10 in 2A.....aside from having GC at 8.  And I'm aware this particular OP can never be taken seriously anyhow.  I think the GMen will be very solid again this year.  Graham was no doubt the 2nd best team from VA that GC faced all year.  Radford was very good.....but not quite on Grahams level IMO.  If Graham had beat GC in the rematch they would have been your 2A champs.

Having Radford as a favorite to win it all is understandable as they didnt lose anyone  off last years team.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them win it again.   GC obviously lost alot of offensive firepower with McClung being gone, but I think this GC team will be able to score at will and it should be more evenly spread out.  Also this team should be very good defensively with the addition of the JV guys who bring the heat....will be much more depth to interchange guys out and keep fresh legs. Rebounding should be much improved as well.   Will be a much different looking team.....Not saying better but they will be solid.   GC beating Western Albemarle, Northside, and Jefferson Forest just a few weeks ago tells me all I needed to know about this team before getting to even see them play together without Mac.   

I think Martinsville will be in the thick of things again this year.  Might be another year out but will be hard to beat nonetheless like they always are.  DR I'm sure has a team full of athletes as usual but I feel like Mavahi is the better of those two teams.  Dont think I'd have  DR in my Top 5 right now.  No disrespect....but Wise Central wont be much of a factor now after losing McAmis to an ACL tear.  I would offer up Union as another team representing SWVA as Top 10 material...I think they will be very solid this year getting back Wes Slagle.  I can't offer any thoughts on East Rock, Goochland, or Appo since I didn't know much about them last year.  Not sure what all they have returning.   

• 2 weeks later...

Graham lost some good ones in Martin, Dalton and Curto.  But they return a bunch and are getting some good ones from J.V.

Baker, Dawson,Allen, Lester are returning.  Graves and Meadows are coming up from the J.V.  They have some other quality players, just can't think of them right now.  They should definitely be considered as one of the top teams.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/30/2018 at 9:24 AM, pdfan said:

Martinsville is ranked way to high. Most of their talent is very young and they are probably 1-2 years away from competing on a state level again. Also their schedule does them no favors this year with a young team, EC Glass, Liberty-Bedford, Northside, RE Lee, GW-Danville, and others makes for a very tough year. I look for the Dogs to have a losing record going into the playoffs. Also Gate City at 8 is a joke, they are much better than that, and DR at 2? Martinsville beat them in the playoffs last year and the Dogs couldn't score 60 points in a game last year if they were on the court with no opponent to play against.

Caught them last night against Liberty.  My take is that the Bulldogs are very talented and extremely well coached.  Can't gauge too much from that particular outcome -- a 39-28 Martinsville win -- because Liberty still isn't quite ready for prime time (the unexpected run in the football playoffs having impacted preseason training).  But I do attach some significance to the Dogs' win over E.C. Glass.  Even though they are breaking in a new coach, the Hilltoppers are still a tough out -- and a victory margin over 20 is a big deal.

Expecting/hoping for a better outcome when the Minutemen play down in Martinsville in a couple of weeks.  But I am pretty impressed with the Dogs overall -- and they should be even better within the next year or so.

The Dogs have a bunch of kids who have bought into the system offensively and on defense. They play hard, last night Liberty just had a hard time with the zone. But when they got it to #1 he was going to score or get fouled. He really schooled our big man, who is only a soph. The Dogs will find out what they have in the next 3 games, Halifax at home then GW-Danville and Northside on the road. Look forward to Liberty coming to Martinsville in better basketball shape. #1 & 2 must have been beasts on the football field.