8 Man Football

bucfan64

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s certaintly scared me away as a parent. 

It has frightened me, I wont lie. But The risk of injury is in every sports. I think I may have had one more concussion in football than i did in soccer. And elbow problems from baseball still bother me to this day. The rules against the old-fashioned tactics have helped the game from an injury standpoint, but sacrificed some of the sanctity of the traditional ways. The glory of football is that you don't necessarily have to be a player to contribute. Look at you with the podcast. It's awesome! I follow it to a tee and I have heard you mention many times that you didn't even play (and I even overlook your contractual obligation to oppose anything Kelly Green lol). People will always continue to follow football and its incredible integration into our way of life. As far as me as a parent and if I had a son, I would make sure that I coached him the right way to tackle and monitor his health very closely but i wouldn't essentially hold him out from playing altogether. Every lesson i learned and apply to life was learned on the football field, more so Mon-Thurs and Sat-Sun. Friday nights were times to shine but the other days taught you about life.

I passed the little league baseball field in Tazewell last night. There were several kids practicing baseball in the middle of August. When I was growing up this time of year the only thing we thought about was football. Now kids play football, baseball, soccer, etc year around. 

You are correct, times are changin.

I’m not too many years removed from the game, but if I known what I know now about CTE and other head injuries caused by football, i’d still play the the great game. We take risks everyday when we jump in a metal shell and drive 50-60mph to work. Yes, it worries me about the chances of brain issues later on in life, but if that’s God’s plan for me, then that’s how it’s supposed to be. Football taught me to be on time, listen to my boss, do my job to best of my ability, how to take orders, and how to get back up when I got knocked down. No other American sport teaches young men the lessons that football does when coached right. I’d do it all over again, 100% no doubt about it! 

15 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I’m not too many years removed from the game, but if I known what I know now about CTE and other head injuries caused by football, i’d still play the the great game. We take risks everyday when we jump in a metal shell and drive 50-60mph to work. Yes, it worries me about the chances of brain issues later on in life, but if that’s God’s plan for me, then that’s how it’s supposed to be. Football taught me to be on time, listen to my boss, do my job to best of my ability, how to take orders, and how to get back up when I got knocked down. No other American sport teaches young men the lessons that football does when coached right. I’d do it all over again, 100% no doubt about it! 

That's the problem with a lot of youth today...