Preseason 1A top 10

honestjohn

Since a 1A school has only a slim chance of beating a good 2A school, how about a !A poll. Here are my picks

1 Chilhowie

2 Galax

3 Hurley

4 Grundy

5 GW

6 JIB

7 Patrick Henry

8 Northwood

9 Thomas Walker

10Castlewood

1. Chilhowie

2. Galax

3. George Wythe

4. J.I. Burton

5. Grundy

6. Narrows

7. Patrick Henry

8. Honaker

9. Hurley

10. Northwood

Also watch for Thomas Walker & Rural Retreat. Heard those teams had a lot of returning players.

Looks like most everyone is going on tradition. If you follow closely and with what teams return I think it would be a bit more like this but it is only an opinion.

1. Chilhowie returns everyone

2. Galax- Dixon is there

3. Grundy Fiser is a difference maker

4. JI Burton Good QB and expereinced RB

5. Patrick Henry- enough returners to score some points

6. TW- returns a bunch

7. Narrows is in a good cycle

8. Honaker- should go 5-5

9. Eastside- enough athletes to crack top 10

10. Rural Retreat played a bunch of youngins last year

22 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Looks like most everyone is going on tradition. If you follow closely and with what teams return I think it would be a bit more like this but it is only an opinion.

1. Chilhowie returns everyone

2. Galax- Dixon is there

3. Grundy Fiser is a difference maker

4. JI Burton Good QB and expereinced RB

5. Patrick Henry- enough returners to score some points

6. TW- returns a bunch

7. Narrows is in a good cycle

8. Honaker- should go 5-5

9. Eastside- enough athletes to crack top 10

10. Rural Retreat played a bunch of youngins last year

Chilhowie lost to GW last year, beat a battered and bruised Galax team, and didn’t have to play Grundy. 

You realize you didn’t even include GW right?

They caught some breaks and made a run. But personally I’m not ready to crown them yet.

49 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

Chilhowie lost to GW last year, beat a battered and bruised Galax team, and didn’t have to play Grundy. 

They caught some breaks and made a run. But personally I’m not ready to crown them yet.

Hell, Grundy couldn't get past Burton in the first round . What makes you think they had anything for Chilhowie?

10 minutes ago, yahrme said:

Hell, Grundy couldn't get past Burton in the first round . What makes you think they had anything for Chilhowie?

Matchup wise, Grundy had runners that would have been hard for Chilhowie to handle. As it was, Chilhowie dipped around the best runners in 1A until they ran into Riverheads. And we all know what happened then...

1 hour ago, TripleThreat said:

I agree that GW should be ranked on athleticism alone.  My guess is that was an oversight. 

As far Chilhowie, they should have beaten GW last year.  QB Cale was out and the Warriors tend to let the Maroons get in their heads.  

Chilhowie will easily payback my Hurricanes, avenge their loss to GW, and will have an epic battle with Virginia High.

Warriors have too many weapons/experience to be stopped by JIB, Grundy, Hurley, etc.. 

I think CHS will be 12-1 when they host Galax in the semis.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, honestjohn said:

Since a 1A school has only a slim chance of beating a good 2A school, how about a !A poll. Here are my picks

1 Chilhowie

2 Galax

3 Hurley

4 Grundy

5 GW

6 JIB

7 Patrick Henry

8 Northwood

9 Thomas Walker

10Castlewood

You question my picks, but you pick a team 3rd over a basically all senior team at number 4, who won 42-0 last year over them. Sometimes you need to take off your Rebel colored glasses. Hurley's pass defense looks like swiss cheese. If I were an opponent, I would throw the ball on every down.