The state of high school football

Weatherman

Unfortunately, this article describes the exact path we are headed down.

I have had this very conversation with numerous friends, and family members. At least in my circle, most everyone feels the same way as I do. I believe that in our lifetime, ALL sports below the college level will be done in the same way that travel/AAU clubs are done now.

The concussion scare that has developed over the last few years, in my opinion, is set on an irreversible course that will end the sport all-together. The safety related changes made recently to helmets, or any future developements, can't take the risk of a head injury out of the game, completely. The best chance to avoid most head injuries, is for kids to be taught in the beginning of their playing days, proper technique.

The NFL has the right idea for safety, but they are dishing out absurd penalties to the guys at their own level, who are the best in the world at what they do. They preach about proper technique when blocking/tackling, but these guys are supposed to know what they are doing, already. Where the NFL fails, is someone different almost every season, that is high up their food chain, is making a change to what is considered proper technique that is supposed to limit the chance of injury. 

On a personal note, the thing that pisses me off the most about this topic, is for a sport that is older than any of the 7 billion+ people currently living on Earth, there is no secret as to the biggest thing that separates football from all other sports, the physicality and brutality, which is also what attracts most fans. People today, including many former NFL players, act shocked and outraged at the fact there is such a high risk of a head injury. Well, no shit Sherlock! You run full speed towards another human and collide with them, there's chance of a contact injury. I bet if i jump off of a diving board, into a swimming pool, I have a chance of getting wet!

Listen, I'm all for the safety of players, especially kids, but just like anything else in life, there are consequences for decisions that are made, good and bad. The best chance players have of staying safe, is proper technique being taught at an early age.

My kid is a Senior in high school, and has played football since he was 6 years old. To this day, I pray to God to keep him safe, every time he steps on the field. I know there's a chance of injury. To continue playing was a decision that was made, believing the risk was worth the greatness to be gained by this wonderful sport, like in his case, assistance with a college education. 

Hopefully, the wrong people won't recognize the risk people take of drowning, when they go swimming. I would hate to see the end of one of Summer's most enjoyable pastimes happen too!

I will now step down off of my soapbox. I bid you gentlemen ado! 😁

Football is important bc it does build character, helps develop social skills and teamwork, and it instills some discipline. 

the sport will change some, but it won't die in our lifetime. It'll become more flag style, protecting the players which is not a bad idea but most are aware of the risks. 

I have no problems with 9-10 year olds playing in pads, they cant hit each other hard enough to do damage and I know all HS coaches are supposed to be required to pass a concussion class before being allowed to coach. 

Insightful article.  It's already happening. 

In 2012, the US Soccer Federation actually banned high school soccer for its Boys Developmental Academy players.  

We parents, wanting what is "best for our kids", will ensure that "pay to play" ultimately kills HS sports. 

FLS Varsity @FLSVarsity                

Charles City has become the third VHSL school to cancel football this season, joining Park View-Sterling and Manassas Park, VHSL spokesman Mike McCall said.

great state

The following link has a bit more on the schools cancelling the upcoming football season...(some players are being allowed to transfer to a neighboring school by the VHSL)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2018/08/15/manassas-park-cancels-varsity-football-season-citing-lack-of-interest/?utm_term=.83c7459093a6

great state

News Leader Sports Retweeted            

Patrick Hite @Patrick_Hite

Tom Goforth is worried about the future of football after three Virginia schools drop the sport

https://stnva.nl/2MEUYJw  via @newsleadernow

great state

Coach Goforth started his coaching career in Richlands and grew up in Bluefield, WV

2 hours ago, trublue said:

News Leader Sports Retweeted            

Patrick Hite @Patrick_Hite

Tom Goforth is worried about the future of football after three Virginia schools drop the sport

https://stnva.nl/2MEUYJw  via @newsleadernow

great state

Coach Goforth started his coaching career in Richlands and grew up in Bluefield, WV

Coach Go was also at Tazewell and was the offensive line coach on the ‘86 state team. He left Tazewell after the ‘89 season. Great coach and great man!