Union/Va High Benefit Game

#BBN

This was a great battle, to be so early in the season. Union was a little better up front than VHS, and both teams were vanilla in their playcalling, as expected, but I'm very pleased in VHS overall.

Union's lines are huge. Turner was kept in check, with the exception of a great scramble conversion on 3rd and long, in the 3rd quarter. The Bears have a pretty good stable of running backs. There was a ton of physical play by both sides.

I really hope that this matchup happens down the road. These were 2, well coached and hungry teams. VHS has some things to clean up, but most teams do at this point.

VHS has some really good athletes. The hype about them is well deserved. 

I didn’t see Union last week so this was my first time of the year, I was pleasantly surprised. The running game is still there and strong, especially out of the T. The passing game will come with more experience and getting guys in a rhythm. The defense has a chance to be very good aswell, the D line is definitely a strength. 

5 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

VHS has some really good athletes. The hype about them is well deserved. 

I didn’t see Union last week so this was my first time of the year, I was pleasantly surprised. The running game is still there and strong, especially out of the T. The passing game will come with more experience and getting guys in a rhythm. The defense has a chance to be very good aswell, the D line is definitely a strength. 

Union definitely had some success with their outside runs. They run the ball very efficiently. Should be another good season in BSG.

I’m with everyone above. Well played game. Physically Union was the better team. I’m sure, as mentioned above, neither team showed all they had to offer. I like our run game and I think our passing game will surprise some teams. Turner made some nice throws, especially on the double out to Falin on the sideline to pick up a big first down. That throw and catch rivals any you’ll see all season long. Unions defense looked much better this week compared to the Elizabethton game. All in all a good showing for both teams. They both should be ready for a solid season. 

VHS has a ton of speed at QB, and both backs (2 and 20) are more physical than you realize but are also burners.

Union didn't show much at all, probably didn't run 10 different plays with the actual 1s and started subbing as early as late 1st Q with the all the 2s playing most of second half after opening drive of third quarter. Physically on offense, it's still there. Jenkins, Polier and Stidham all can pound the rock and Jenkins can go 30-40 yards in a blink, but Union ran the spread a lot after the first quarter. Turner had two beautiful throws, the corner Falin caught early and the go route they barely missed on, but also a couple misthrows. But he looked healthy and mobile which is truly important. The throws will come, it's just good to see him healthy and moving. On defense, Unions 1s tackles well in the open field aside from a couple mistakes. But give VHS credit, the athletes were very quick and reactive and linebackers like 2 and 54 were all over the field. 21 was in on a lot of plays but unfortunately for him ended up on a potential Jenkins highlight reel after a NASTY stiff arm.

Exciting finish, Bear backups score with 30 seconds left to finish ahead of scoreboard, VHS ran out of time after getting within the 20ish as time expired. 24-20 was final score, the game scoreboard showed 24-23 but once people actually see scoring plays, it was 24-20. But that mattered very little as I think both teams have a lot of positives coming out of tonight but also holes to work on. Union is finding their rotation and players new on defense getting adjusted, VHS working on winning at the LOS and shedding blocks.

Don't go to Bristol and expect an easy win. In a regular season game, I'd favor Union by 14ish, maybe less maybe a tad more, but the Bearcats will be alive come playoff time. 

Definitely improvement on D from the Elizabethton scrimmage last week. Run game looks very strong. Took a bit for Turner to get loose once they started passing. My biggest concern will be depth on the D line(tackles and ends both). While the 1's were in, it was nearly impenetrable, but as they rotated in and out some lineups worked and some didn't. Lot of kids going both ways. Hopefully, we can build some depth as the season progresses.

Va High has several good athletes. The QB may surprise a few people with his scrambling ability. They were bigger on the line than I remember from last year. I was expecting/hoping them to pass more. Thought it would be another good test for a young secondary.

You can't always tell how good a team is from a scrimmage, but you can certainly tell how bad they are. And neither of these teams are going to have a bad season!

7 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Definitely improvement on D from the Elizabethton scrimmage last week. Run game looks very strong. Took a bit for Turner to get loose once they started passing. My biggest concern will be depth on the D line(tackles and ends both). While the 1's were in, it was nearly impenetrable, but as they rotated in and out some lineups worked and some didn't. Lot of kids going both ways. Hopefully, we can build some depth as the season progresses.

Va High has several good athletes. The QB may surprise a few people with his scrambling ability. They were bigger on the line than I remember from last year. I was expecting/hoping them to pass more. Thought it would be another good test for a young secondary.

You can't always tell how good a team is from a scrimmage, but you can certainly tell how bad they are. And neither of these teams are going to have a bad season!

QB didn't wanna throw, he wanted to run for VHS. Not sure if that was a design or a bug, but it looked to me that the receivers were working to get open but the QBs eyes dropped real early. Not ness. bc of Union pressure either, as at times it didn't come and Bears didn't maintain outside edge and got gashed. But the secondary wasn't tested much until the 2s came in for both sides. Both second teams aired it out more but that young freshman, 20, for VHS, was a killer once he played with kids his age later in the game. 

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

QB didn't wanna throw, he wanted to run for VHS. Not sure if that was a design or a bug, but it looked to me that the receivers were working to get open but the QBs eyes dropped real early. Not ness. bc of Union pressure either, as at times it didn't come and Bears didn't maintain outside edge and got gashed. But the secondary wasn't tested much until the 2s came in for both sides. Both second teams aired it out more but that young freshman, 20, for VHS, was a killer once he played with kids his age later in the game. 

It was the same QB and several receivers from last years, so that's why I expected a lot of passing. I looked at some clips of the game, and I believe it was by design. They had some read option with the RB and it would appear they did so with the receivers. QB looked at his hot route, decided it wasn't open and took off. In several of the clips the line didn't do a standard pass block where they created a pocket. They "rolled" to the right with the QB.

And I agree, #20 looked pretty good for a freshman.

I believe they were being as vanilla as Union, not wanting to show too much so they wouldn't have too much on film. Tons of moving the pocket and rollouts, making it reading one WR then take off if not immediately open.

It was a weird ending, either VHS was fooled by the faulty scoreboard and wanted to get more points than Union at the end, trying a FG that would have put them ahead on the scoreboard but the scoreboard was wrong. I gave the VHS coaches more credit, I thought they wanted their FG unit to practice a high pressure scenario of just put up as many points as possible and were aware of the score but I dunno 100%