Gate City vs Graham Benefit Game

Gridiron60

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m sure Graham’s running vanilla stuff and testing out a bunch of things, but I’d have envisioned a more lopsided score.

I'd say you're right because wasn't last years score kinda close too?

3 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

I'd say you're right because wasn't last years score kinda close too?

It was closer than expected early then Graham pulled away as expected in the 2nd, or at least that’s what I recall.

I’ve got a nervous feeling about this Graham team, and not in the positive way.  Hoping for a strong showing next week against the WV AA favorites.

5 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Cam Allen looked good running but not sharp passing, #13 on Graham looked good running. Jaziere Reed hurt his knee and did not return. Nothing good to say about the Gate City offense but the defense looked good until they wore down.

Pretty much how I figured it would be for the GC offense. What offense was they running?

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pretty much how I figured it would be for the GC offense. What offense was they running?

Shot gun zone runs for the most part with the occasional zone read with the q.b. Pulling It down. A few passes mixed in

1 hour ago, 99Bama said:

Allen didnt play the first quarter. Graham seemed like they were in "Benefit Game" mode for sure. They have a ways to go, especially on the line.

Given the talent that Gate City has out there I thought they did pretty good. 

Hope they make leaps & bounds this week before next Friday or they could get a thrashing. I'm betting GMen coaches will be at Mitchell Stadium tomorrow night. 

1 minute ago, GC_Quincy said:

It's a shame that the "powers" have let this happen to this program. It's hard to believe we were in the playoffs 2 years ago. It feels more like 15.

I'm sure it is frustrating to say the least. But to be fair how many athletic kids did you see on the sidelines? I'm not trying to take away from those that were playing last night. They were all trying. I don't know much about who may be walking the halls of Gate City high school that could contribute but they do lack athleticism. They appeared to have several young players and they all seem to have a good attitude. Good luck the rest of the way.

GC is just in one of them low places that will take awhile to get out of.  I honestly don't think it would have mattered who was hired as the coach, there just isn't enough talent interested in playing right now.  Maybe in a few years another big group of kids will come through and build the program back up again.

Mac McClung/Zac Ervin and the recent GC basketball success may have turned the youth into aspiring basketball players and it's possible that's having a negative affect on the football program. 

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Mac McClung/Zac Ervin and the recent GC basketball success may have turned the youth into aspiring basketball players and it's possible that's having a negative affect on the football program. 

It's not basketball that's having a negative effect on the program. Several kids either not playing or transferred. The problem lies within the program at the top.

1 hour ago, gc1 said:

It's not basketball that's having a negative effect on the program. Several kids either not playing or transferred. The problem lies within the program at the top.

Surely no one transfers away from Gate City. Where have all the cars with Tennessee plates in the parking lot gone?

21 minutes ago, 50kw said:

Surely no one transfers away from Gate City. Where have all the cars with Tennessee plates in the parking lot gone?

They're now Virginia cars at DB. The kids are giving effort. It's not on the kids. It starts at the top and works its way down. This is not a "down cycle" type of deal. THAT'S the frustrating part.

3 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

I believe it's a combination of it being a down cycle and bad coaching.

I won't disagree that the talent is down. But, it's not 1-9 down. Plus, with better coaches, kids playing elsewhere or not at all could help immensely if they came back. GC football really isn't a quick fix right now. Going back into LL it may take a few years after a coaching change.

The AD destroys anything he is involved in,  the coach does not know football, and the principal does not care.   Those three things combined is why we are where we are.   Oh, and the school board let it all happen.   It won’t change until some major personnel changes are made.