2019 Union Graham

Bluefield researcher

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

So Union would potentially play Graham at Mitchell and I'm hearing Science Hill? Jesus Christ, talk about an OOC schedule.

That's starting to get to the level of how insanely tough Richland's schedule last year was. 6 teams we played last year went somewhere around a combined 55-5 or so. That's just insane. 

45 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's starting to get to the level of how insanely tough Richland's schedule last year was. 6 teams we played last year went somewhere around a combined 55-5 or so. That's just insane. 

Well right now with the M7+JIB being somewhat down, Union can't match up with Richlands conference slate but they try and offset that with tough OOC games. 

2017 was just a perfect storm for an insane Richlands schedule, most years VHS, Marion and Graham all won't win 7+ games, but playing Union and Bluefield OOC is crazy tough every year. I'm not sure any team can ever face as tough a slate, it's almost mathematically impossible lol. Union went 13-1, Graham was what, 11-2?, Bluefield won like 15 games and a state title, Marion went like 9-2, VHS was good, it was just a special year. Any other year, Blues are 6-4 or so

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Graham did this in the early 2000s, too.  Greeneville, Eizabethton, Tennessee High, and other schools with 3x the enrollment.  Props to Union!

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham did this in the early 2000s, too.  Greeneville, Eizabethton, Tennessee High, and other schools with 3x the enrollment.  Props to Union!

Don't forget Woodrow Wilson, PH-Roanoke, and GW-Danville...

Both teams are loading up tough OOC  schedules. Richlands has a few more tough teams, but Science Hill would take any team mentioned on this thread out behind the woodshed. I may get crucified on here for this, but yes, that includes Bluefield. Football from Northeast Tn, to Knoxville is on another level. With that said, Science Hill is also one of the biggest high schools in the entire state, so I know it's not really a fair comparison.

Just what I've heard thru the grapevine. Can't say it's 100% a for sure game, you know how these things are. 

But I am pretty sure both Letcher County and Morristown West are finished up contractually after this year. Union and Richlands seem to have a standing agreement, so that's two open games. If Graham is one, Union still lacks another and I'd be surprised if it didn't come out of NE TN. Maybe Science Hill, maybe not. 

But for the record, I'd rather go to Johnson City of somewhere and take my lumps than go to a place like Letcher, deal with the insanity of small eastern KY football and get no rider points since they have been terrible last two seasons. 

Can someone help me out, is losing to a successful big TN team (let's say 3A VA equivalent, but Science Hill would be bigger than that) better than beating a 0-10 smaller KY team?

1 hour ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Both teams are loading up tough OOC  schedules. Richlands has a few more tough teams, but Science Hill would take any team mentioned on this thread out behind the woodshed. I may get crucified on here for this, but yes, that includes Bluefield. Football from Northeast Tn, to Knoxville is on another level. With that said, Science Hill is also one of the biggest high schools in the entire state, so I know it's not really a fair comparison.

I went to DB vs Greenville tonight 15000 plus is just a guess, Greenville is the best team I have EVER seen , DB not so much, as far as Johnson City taking us to the woodshed, well Betsy was winning 17-7 early in the 3rd and Union gave Betsy all they wanted in the last couple of years ( scrimmage)

13 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I went to DB vs Greenville tonight 15000 plus is just a guess, Greenville is the best team I have EVER seen , DB not so much, as far as Johnson City taking us to the woodshed, well Betsy was winning 17-7 early in the 3rd and Union gave Betsy all they wanted in the last couple of years ( scrimmage)

FINAL Elizabethton 36 Science Hill 34

30 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

But for the record, I'd rather go to Johnson City of somewhere and take my lumps than go to a place like Letcher, deal with the insanity of small eastern KY football and get no rider points since they have been terrible last two seasons. 

Can someone help me out, is losing to a successful big TN team (let's say 3A VA equivalent, but Science Hill would be bigger than that) better than beating a 0-10 smaller KY team?

Science Hill would be 6A equivalent for VA power points. It would just depend on how many wins they had, but possibly more points losing to them than beating 0-10 Letcher

Maybe Union isn't as far off as we believe? 

Depth counts tho, choosing from 2500 is a helluva lot easier than 600. Union has good turnout for a smaller HS, but you would think eventually just being bigger overwhelms.

Union barely beat Morristown West last season at Union with MW on their third QB during the game. Union was on their second QB too, but not quite a similar situation. Union hasn't lost at home in three plus years, and MW gave them all they could handle. 

I'm trying to be realistic, maybe Union can compete for 2-3 quarters? Union wasn't far behind Elizabethton seemed like, but that's a scrimmage. Who knows?

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

as far as Johnson City taking us to the woodshed, well Betsy was winning 17-7 early in the 3rd and Union gave Betsy all they wanted in the last couple of years ( scrimmage)

It's always funny when I see posts like this. No offense man, and what I'm getting ready to say, is not directed towards you personally, but this part of your post is part of a funny way so many fans make an argument for their respective team.

Take a team like Union. Without a doubt, a perennial powerhouse in 2A SWVA. Now, when they cross the state line for a "scrimmage" against an even stronger football program, like Elizabethton, when Union plays them close, it's because "Union is just that damn good"(not your quote, one I read on here last year). Now, let's take VHS, the poster boy for football mediocrity, in 2A SWVA for over a CENTURY, goes to Union last year, and plays closer than anyone outside of Bristol could have imagined. Then, last night, actually proves to anyone in attendance, that they can play with anyone in the region this year. Some fans(again, I'm not referring to you, just some other fans) say "Well, Union called a vanilla offense", or "I heard that half of the team is recovering from a stomach virus"(yes, I've read that very excuse on this site). I wonder why that is.

The fact remains, football teams from NETN generally give teams from SWVA beatdowns for a reason that has been stated a couple of times on this thread, because of enrollment. The same reason, that the mighty Appomattox football team of the last 3 years, could go east towards a school like Oscar Smith or Westfield, or go west to most any school in the Knoxville area, and get their asses handed to them, 10 times out of 10. 

It's a big deal nowadays when any SWVA school has a football player, play at the next level. Schools like Science Hill, DB, or most 5 and 6A schools from Knoxville to the Tri-Cities have players move on to the next level EVERY YEAR.

Man, I'm not trying to disrespect Union, or any other SWVA school. I would ALWAYS pull for VA over TN. I have no.doubt in my mind, that I can name at least 10 schools between here and Knoxville, who would beat the brakes off of every team in SWVA 2A, or even 3A for that matter.

Maybe our great research guru, @Bluefield researcher, could help us out, and see if he could find an overall record of NETN vs. SWVA over, say, the last 30 years. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one on here to say so, but I don't believe I am.

EDIT: It's like when someone says "Alabama could beat the Cleveland Browns". That drives me up a damn wall. The worst team in the NFL would beat Alabama by however many points they wanted to. Its just a different level of football.

48 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

It's always funny when I see posts like this. No offense man, and what I'm getting ready to say, is not directed towards you personally, but this part of your post is part of a funny way so many fans make an argument for their respective team.

Take a team like Union. Without a doubt, a perennial powerhouse in 2A SWVA. Now, when they cross the state line for a "scrimmage" against an even stronger football program, like Elizabethton, when Union plays them close, it's because "Union is just that damn good"(not your quote, one I read on here last year). Now, let's take VHS, the poster boy for football mediocrity, in 2A SWVA for over a CENTURY, goes to Union last year, and plays closer than anyone outside of Bristol could have imagined. Then, last night, actually proves to anyone in attendance, that they can play with anyone in the region this year. Some fans(again, I'm not referring to you, just some other fans) say "Well, Union called a vanilla offense", or "I heard that half of the team is recovering from a stomach virus"(yes, I've read that very excuse on this site). I wonder why that is.

The fact remains, football teams from NETN generally give teams from SWVA beatdowns for a reason that has been stated a couple of times on this thread, because of enrollment. The same reason, that the mighty Appomattox football team of the last 3 years, could go east towards a school like Oscar Smith or Westfield, or go west to most any school in the Knoxville area, and get their asses handed to them, 10 times out of 10. 

It's a big deal nowadays when any SWVA school has a football player, play at the next level. Schools like Science Hill, DB, or most 5 and 6A schools from Knoxville to the Tri-Cities have players move on to the next level EVERY YEAR.

Man, I'm not trying to disrespect Union, or any other SWVA school. I would ALWAYS pull for VA over TN. I have no.doubt in my mind, that I can name at least 10 schools between here and Knoxville, who would beat the brakes off of every team in SWVA 2A, or even 3A for that matter.

Maybe our great research guru, @Bluefield researcher, could help us out, and see if he could find an overall record of NETN vs. SWVA over, say, the last 30 years. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one on here to say so, but I don't believe I am.

EDIT: It's like when someone says "Alabama could beat the Cleveland Browns". That drives me up a damn wall. The worst team in the NFL would beat Alabama by however many points they wanted to. Its just a different level of football.

Appomattox has lost 1 game in 3 years,they do play up to 4 a schools, Union played Mo west and won,I don’t even care to argue with you b- dad , it’s pointless, as far as the benefit game last night , I saw lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd teamers out there for Union, the kid who was at QB on the final score is in the 9th grade A Jones, great name by the way. Good luck this year, you might be right on the woodshed but I don’t see it

35 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Appomattox has lost 1 game in 3 years,they do play up to 4 a schools, Union plus Mo west and won,I don’t even care to argue with you b- dad , it’s pointless, as far as the benefit game last night , I saw lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd teamers out there for Union, the kid who was at QB on the final score is in the 9th grade A Jones, great name by the way. Good luck this year, you might be right on the woodshed but I don’t see it

Not trying to argue, my man. Just explaining why I said what I said......concerning last night, please don't be that guy that uses the "back up" excuse. The VHS 1s came out of the game, at the same time that Union's did. VHS has 29 Varsity players, and they still started subbing when Union did. I know for a fact, that coach Turner and coach Crist coincided with how they wanted to handle this game in that aspect. As far as freshmen go, remember #20 last night? He had success against Union's 1s, and tore the 2s and 3s up. He is also a 9th grader, who is the #4 RB on our roster.

I'm not saying VHS is better than Union, at all. I have the utmost respect for coach Turner and his entire program. I said that last night that we proved we can play with you guys and anyone else in the region. The score was 17-14 in the 3rd when all of the 1s were gone from the game, for both teams.

Real quick, let's reevaluate Union's game against Mo West from last year. Impressive win, no doubt, but lets put Union in Mo West's shoes for one second....

Mo West was down to their 3rd string QB. Now, after Turner had the unfortunate injury, his dad was forced to put the heart and soul of your team under center and rightfully so. He was basically forced to abandon any type of passing game. It was still a very smart move on coach Turner's part. Now, take JM out of that game, and go to your 3rd string QB. What does Union do then?

Again man, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just being real. I love my team too. My only son is a pretty important part of that team. I, myself, was a Bearcat about 100 years ago. But, I never exaggerate when talking about them, EVER! I can easily admit what their limitations are.

VHS is to baseball, what PV/Appalachia has always been to football. Great for this area, but the world of high school sports does not end outside of the SWVA region. There are teams not too far from us, who can do what they want, when they want, against us in our respective sports.

I can definitely live with having to agree to disagree on this. Good luck to the Bears this year. If the Football Gods see fit, maybe we can do it again in November.

EDIT; I know very well what Appo was capable of. My Bearcats had the unfortunate task of traveling to Appo in the first round of the 2016 playoffs, as a 3-7 team. They were the best 2A team I've ever seen in person. In NETN, last year's and evidently this year's Greeneville team(just to name one) would have beaten that Appomattox team handily. Appo had 2 great players, a bunch of really, really good players, and a phenomenal coach. Currently, Greeneville has 10, yes, 10 players committed to play at the next level. A couple of which, are D1. Greeneville is only 4A in TN. That's not a slight in the least, to Appo.