2019 Union Graham

Bluefield researcher

No shit Sherlock? I underestimated your wit. @JDHoss

As I told Union_fan, who has always posted well thought out posts until today, some people will believe what they want, no matter what. 

Since we've traveled back in time to 3rd grade, and started name-calling, let me have a go of it......

Listen here, Numbnuts😡(that's my mean face), the next time you see me as part of a debate, please do a little better preparation for yourself, so you don't look like the bumbling fool(that's two names, now we're even) you've made yourself out to be. For instance......

If I decide to bring up a topic discussing the taste of different kinds of oranges, don't bring in your ridiculous argument about apples(judging by your previous content, that should have smoke coming out of your ears for a while). 

Have a good one! 😁

This debate could go on and on,numbers win most of the time ,but when you compare SULLIVAN NORTH, CENTRAL, VOLUNTEER,DANIEL BOONE, CROCKETT, ECT.., VS UNION,RICHLANDS ect, its southwest VA who wins.Lets look at the only schools close to our area that can come near DB or JOHNSON CITY size, SALEM, no one will say that DB or SCIENCE HILL could beat them, I know not SWVA !Its just like recruiting ,the more kids you recruit , the chances go up finding a really great one.We could compare JASON WITTEN to HEATH MILLER or the JONES brothers to..........oh snap,there are no running backs from DB or SH ,they were all converted to defence back, but at least I heard they made great coaches(in their own minds at least,just ask DAVEY CROCKETT)

Mods, I would like to apologize for this thread being hijacked from its original topic. A comparison was made, early on, between the out of district schedules of Richlands and Union in the present and near future.

Where my mistakes were made, was being dumb enough to bring to light, the fact that when another poster mentioned Science Hill being in Union's future plans, I said that Richlands has a few more tough, out of district games than Union, but Science Hill would be a tougher game than any other mentioned. I also made the mistake of saying that there were teams in NETN, that could handily defeat any team in SWVA, including the almighty Union Bears.

What followed then, was the most impressive display of straw man arguments that yours truly has ever seen! I actually had posters use my own words against me, to try and prove that I was a damn fool for believing such nonsense! I sincerely apologize for taking Union's name in vain. I can assure you that they have gotten the better of me, and have helped me see the light! ALL HAIL THE U!! I will not make another post on this topic.

For those who aren't sure what straw man means.....

straw man
ˌstrô ˈman/
noun
noun: strawman
  1. 1.
    an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

3 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Mods, I would like to apologize for this thread being hijacked from its original topic. A comparison was made, early on, between the out of district schedules of Richlands and Union in the present and near future.

Where my mistakes were made, was being dumb enough to bring to light, the fact that when another poster mentioned Science Hill being in Union's future plans, I said that Richlands has a few more tough, out of district games than Union, but Science Hill would be a tougher game than any other mentioned. I also made the mistake of saying that there were teams in NETN, that could handily defeat any team in SWVA, including the almighty Union Bears.

What followed then, was the most impressive display of straw man arguments that yours truly has ever seen! I actually had posters use my own words against me, to try and prove that I was a damn fool for believing such nonsense! I sincerely apologize for taking Union's name in vain. I can assure you that they have gotten the better of me, and have helped me see the light! ALL HAIL THE U!! I will not make another post on this topic.

straw man
ˌstrô ˈman/
noun
  1. 1.
    an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

I thought that this was a strow man...

Image result for braun strowman gifs

Oh wait, you said straw man... my bad!

On 8/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, Bearcat Dad said:

straw man
ˌstrô ˈman/
noun
  1. 1.

What made you more angry, me pointing out that the MW - Union games was close in score only, or that football in NET was pretty weak? Since 1969, teams from SWVA are 141-158 - 4 against NET teams.VHS and Battle are a combined 27 - 74 - 2 against NET teams. Taking VHS and Battle out of the equation, SWVA teams are 114 - 84 - 2 against NET teams. Not blaming VHS & Battle for those games though. Realistically, THS should NEVER lose to VHS and VHS has managed to beat them several times and has been competitive in many of the games.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

What made you more angry, me pointing out that the MW - Union games was close in score only, or that football in NET was pretty weak? Since 1969, teams from SWVA are 141-158 - 4 against NET teams.VHS and Battle are a combined 27 - 74 - 2 against NET teams. Taking VHS and Battle out of the equation, SWVA teams are 114 - 84 - 2 against NET teams. Not blaming VHS & Battle for those games though. Realistically, THS should NEVER lose to VHS and VHS has managed to beat them several times and has been competitive in many of the games.

114-84-2....against who? West Greene? Hancock? Volunteer? The Sullivan Co teams? 

SWVA teams don’t play DB. They don’t play Science Hill. They don’t play Tenn.  High. They don’t play Greeneville. A lot of those wins are against the smallest and weakest NETN has to offer. That would be like NETN being proud they’re beating Rye Cove, Hurley, Twin Springs, Thomas a Walker etc. 

29 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

114-84-2....against who? West Greene? Hancock? Volunteer? The Sullivan Co teams? 

SWVA teams don’t play DB. They don’t play Science Hill. They don’t play Tenn.  High. They don’t play Greeneville. A lot of those wins are against the smallest and weakest NETN has to offer. That would be like NETN being proud they’re beating Rye Cove, Hurley, Twin Springs, Thomas a Walker etc. 

Those are good questions. I don't have a clue. If I get time, I'll do the statistics on those games. 

While I would consider Sullivan East and Central weak, I wouldn't consider South or North. They have fielded really good teams over the years, especially prior to their enrollment dropping. 

And the wins against West Greene, Hancock, Volunteer and the like. Didn't those wins, in recent years at least, come at the hands of equally weak SWVA teams?

The best team in Tennessee may not be in the top 10 in Virginia. And the best team in Virginia may not be in the top 10 in Georgia or Florida. 

How do you truly compare? What's the baseline?

Interesting discussion. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Thank you for understanding! It took our resident Keyboard Warrior a week to come back with a response, that falls in line with his previous responses. He just can't comprehend that the entire discussion began with someone stating that Union may play Science Hill. Even coach Turner himself, knows that they can't hang with Science Hill.

@JDHoss if you have to tell yourself that you have the power to make me angry with your opinion on a message board, to get through the day, more power to you, friend!

I've tried hard to help you understand what I was saying when I entered the conversation. Other posters, including one of the mods, have tried to help you understand. You still keep missing the point, man. Don't take it so personally when someone says that Union is not the be all, end all of high school football. 

I really do hope that you can figure out a way to understand, one day. I also hope that you can learn to relax and not become a triggered Snowflake, when someone points out there are better teams than Union, in the future. 

Just let it go, brother! Union is a great 2A program in SWVA. They do not compare to the great NETN programs! It's not an opinion, it's fact. It can't be good for your blood pressure, to let it get to you this badly! It's obvious, that nobody will be able to get you to understand that we are not taking a shot at the Bears. It's strictly a numbers game! 

Have a good one!

GC was 4-1 against TN High but they are currently 1-8 vs Sullivan South.  That's just the most recent not counting Sullivan Central which they were 3-1.(Courtesy of fourseasonsfootball.com)  SWVA teams may be able to compete every few years but realistically the top teams in SWVA aren't going to dominate the top NETN.  I get that the best Union team may have a chance but not on a yearly basis.  You play DB or Science Hill every year and it won't be a winning record.

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Graham played the latter two in my time there.  Graham’s 1999 team (8-2) doubled up Tennessee High at home (40-20), and Graham’s 2000 team (5-6) lost to Tennessee High in Bristol (by 3).  Graham’s 2001 team clobbered Greeneville at Mitchell Stadium (40-7), and Graham’s 2002 team (8-2) lost to Greeneville in Greeneville (by 2).  

Graham also played Elizabethton twice (1999 - away, 40-20 loss; 2000 - home, 26-20 loss).  On behalf of G-Men faithful everywhere, I apologize for our 2-4 mark against NETN schools in my time there, though 3 of the losses were by 1 score).

Historically, good teams from SWVA have been competitive with good teams from NETN when given the chance.  The problem, I think, is that many of the schools who would schedule NETN schools by geography (see: Washington County/Bristol, Scott County schools not named Gate City, Lee County) have been historically anywhere between decent and dreadful, and it’s easy pickin’s for NETN.

2 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

GC was 4-1 against TN High but they are currently 1-8 vs Sullivan South.  That's just the most recent not counting Sullivan Central which they were 3-1.(Courtesy of fourseasonsfootball.com)  SWVA teams may be able to compete every few years but realistically the top teams in SWVA aren't going to dominate the top NETN.  I get that the best Union team may have a chance but not on a yearly basis.  You play DB or Science Hill every year and it won't be a winning record.

Exactly.