8 Man Update

bucfan64

I sat through an advisory committee meeting yesterday and heard some perspectives regarding the state of football. 

1. The VHSL is definitely "looking at" 8 man football and the possibility of implementing it in the near future.

2. Overall, numbers for football are way down across the Commonwealth. Way down!

3. Many of the schools that are dropping football, (P.V. Sterling, M. Park, etc) are doing so based on the fact that they are under the 25 participant number, which the league handbook has always used as a solid recommendation. Many of the administrators are looking at numbers of 18 and 21 and deciding that those numbers are too low and are deciding to drop the sport. In SWVA, many schools have worked with these types of numbers for several years and made out fine completing a season. But, then again, this has been more common and more tolerated, it seems, on our end of the state.

4. IMO if the trend of low numbers(less than 25) continues to push away more NOVA area schools, I would guess that football's last strong hold in the Commonwealth will be SWVA. I suspect that it could gradually dwindle in the eastern half, but the western half will tolerate lower numbers longer than the eastern schools.

5. Expect more 7 on 7 related youth teams initially to replace LL football, as an attempt to diminish CTE related incidents prior to H.S.

Just some info and food for thought .......

I take 3-4 every morning to weight lifting, one of the kids said I don’t want to go but I want to play but this s to much work. I said get in the car and you will appreciate your hard work when you get your first job. You will have the nerve to tell a fellow employee who is lazy and just stealing a check to push yourself.