Chilhowie at Marion

SWVAFB

This should be another good game between these two Smyth County rivals. Marion has won the last 2 games, with last year's game being a 21-16 win at Chilhowie. Last Friday, Marion beat Rural Retreat, and Chilhowie lost to Ridgeview in benefit games. I look for another close game this year. Marion fans seem to be pretty quiet this year. Chilhowie may give Marion a little closer game this year. Enough said.

From what I have heard, Marion still has a pretty good team this year but i think Chilhowie has to many weapons and experience for Marion to handle. Chilhowie will pull away in the second half. With this game though, you never know. Could be a classic.

CHS 31

MHS 17

My Canes take a major step back this year.  I don't see this game being close.  Last week, Marion beat a mediocre 1A Rural Retreat team while Chilhowie hung tough against a top 2A Ridgeview team.  

Chilhowie 35 Marion 12  

This could be the marquee game this week.  Chilhowie is going to be very good and should roll through 1D.  Not a lot is known about Marion.  They appear to have kept things under wraps this off season but there is claims that they are/could be very good.  I don't know much about the Scarlett Hurricane.  Should be a good game even though I feel the team from Smyth County comes out on top.

Chilhowie 34

Marion     20

The Canes defense will keep them in it I'm not sure if the offense is polished enough to score enough to win it. Chilhowie always struggles at Marion so it'll be close but I think the warriors will find a way to win this one. Chilhowie 21 Marion 13 

Note: I still can't take Chilhowie to win on the pickem though lol 

6 hours ago, Canes00 said:

The Canes defense will keep them in it I'm not sure if the offense is polished enough to score enough to win it. Chilhowie always struggles at Marion so it'll be close but I think the warriors will find a way to win this one. Chilhowie 21 Marion 13 

Note: I still can't take Chilhowie to win on the pickem though lol 

I lived in Saltville for 6 years before moving to Richlands many years ago.  I'm with you.  I think the game will be close, and Chilhowie could pull this one out, but I can't bring myself to pick them on the pick 'em.  Marion 7 Chilhowie 6.   

Any team with a roster of about 40, and 20 of those 40 are Seniors usually are going to have a pretty good team. I am not talking about Chilhowie. I am talking about Marion. Yes, about half of Marion's team are Seniors. Chilhowie better not sleep on Marion, or they will get their butt whipped. Chilhowie had better be in the right  frame of mind, or it could be a long night. Anything is possible in this rival.

12 hours ago, SWVAFB said:

Any team with a roster of about 40, and 20 of those 40 are Seniors usually are going to have a pretty good team. I am not talking about Chilhowie. I am talking about Marion. Yes, about half of Marion's team are Seniors. Chilhowie better not sleep on Marion, or they will get their butt whipped. Chilhowie had better be in the right  frame of mind, or it could be a long night. Anything is possible in this rival.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:03 AM, CHS90 said:

From what I have heard, Marion still has a pretty good team this year but i think Chilhowie has to many weapons and experience for Marion to handle. Chilhowie will pull away in the second half. With this game though, you never know. Could be a classic.

CHS 31

MHS 17

Don't get me wrong because I think Chilhowie is a really good team.  They'll beat my Canes going away on Friday.  

And let me start by saying this is not a criticism but a genuine observation.  IMHO, there is something missing about this team (and last year's) that I can't quite identify. When I think of really good CHS teams from the past (1970, 1971, 1980, 1981, 1996, 2001, 2008, and 2010), I don't see this team on the same level.  The experience, talent, speed, and athleticism all seem to be there.  They're not big but neither were the great teams from the past.  I don't know if it's a lack of execution, physicality, mental toughness, energy... It just doesn't seem like the hard-nosed Warrior teams I'm used to seeing over the years. 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Don't get me wrong because I think Chilhowie is a really good team.  They'll beat my Canes going away on Friday.  

And let me start by saying this is not a criticism but a genuine observation.  IMHO, there is something missing about this team (and last year's) that I can't quite identify. When I think of really good CHS teams from the past (1970, 1971, 1980, 1981, 1996, 2001, 2008, and 2010), I don't see this team on the same level.  The experience, talent, speed, and athleticism all seem to be there.  They're not big but neither were the great teams from the past.  I don't know if it's a lack of execution, physicality, mental toughness, energy... It just doesn't seem like the hard-nosed Warrior teams I'm used to seeing over the years. 

Everyone has their opinion but it's a long season. They play a tough first half of the season. I guess we will see come December but they like to play one week at a time. 

I don't know if another state title appearance is in cards for Chilhowie, but they look the part of a deep run 1A team. A big key is that their big guys are athletic, and while they've got some weaknesses, it will be a long time before they run into a 1A team that can exploit them. The most dangerous part though is their depth. If they can out-rotate a 2A school and leave them standing with their hands on their knees, there's not much more you can ask for.

It was a pretty good game for three and a half quarters, and then the lack of experience and leadership from Marion's corp started to show through. They seemed to get tired and emotionally deflated after going down by a couple of scores and things kind of escalated on them. Marion's not a bad team, but they're not world beaters, and in what appears to be VERY deep SWD, they may get lost in the shuffle, but they'll get better as the season progresses.

But hey, no coaches got ejected and Robinson and Carroll didn't punch each other, so I consider the game a success based on where it seemed like it was going in the first half.

Congratulations to the Warriors!  This group has made vast improvements compared to this game last year.  I thought Cale played an excellent game at QB.   He could always make plays with his legs, but he is much more poised and is seeing the field better this season.  His arm is stronger and his accuracy has improved.  The duo of Sanchez/Blevins are a load and eventually wore down the Canes defense.  Martin and Branson also looked impressive tonight with some big hits.  I'll stick with my earlier prediction that this team will be 12-1 when they meet Galax in the semis.   

My Canes looked pretty good and were able to hang with CHS through 3 quarters,  though watching the wheels fall off in the 4th Q dampened my initial optimism.  The defense will have to carry this team until the offense finds some consistency.  This team should improve but the schedule is looking tougher than I initially thought.   Medley, Reese, Hamm, Tate, Moss, and Thomas all played well on both sides of the ball.