Week 2 grudge: Union @ Richlands

CriticalNoise

Speed and strentgh may be keys, union has the speed of Jenkins, who won state in track this past year, and Polier is a absolute brute. Hes the equivalent of JJ Watt in high school. Ok i may be stretching that a bit, but Im just ready to see another shootout at Ernie. I refuse to make a prediction on this one. Good luck to both teams, this is a well respected matchup not only between the players but the fanbase as well.

This game is a game where one team's strength is the other team's weakness. 

Union struggled with pass D, Richlands can pass the ball very well.

Union has a nice line and runs the ball well, Richlands has been iffy against the run so far this year. 

Look for this to be a one score game with the last team holding the ball winning, just like it's been many years before. 

Should be an epic match up, and I am hoping to make my way to Richlands to witness it.

Everybody is saying Union’s pass defense is struggling, my question, is it the safety position? I know the loss of Mitchell is a huge impact, but didn’t both cornerbacks see a lot of playing time last year? #20 Jenkins started at one corner last year and seemed to play very well. Who is the safety and other starting cornerback this year?

37 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Should be an epic match up, and I am hoping to make my way to Richlands to witness it.

Everybody is saying Union’s pass defense is struggling, my question, is it the safety position? I know the loss of Mitchell is a huge impact, but didn’t both cornerbacks see a lot of playing time last year? #20 Jenkins started at one corner last year and seemed to play very well. Who is the safety and other starting cornerback this year?

Falin is playing safety and doing a pretty solid job. 

Really don't know how good Norton is. I know how bad GC is. Norton is likely better than GC. Richland could have used some of their cheerleaders in the lineup and still beat GC as bad. Factor in the rivalry. If its a shootout I say Union by a td. If a defense battle Richlands by a field goal. The Richlands kicker has the ability of kicking 50+ yard field goals. 60+ would not be surprising. 

I honestly expect Union to come out in the T and pass the ball less than 7 times all night. By comparison, I expect Richlands to pass the ball around 80% of the time. 

The Blues kept it very vanilla last night. Simple passing routes, no double moves, no real downfield shots either aside one on a broken play. 

I think this is another instant classic that we will talk about all year. 

No, Union is not having issues at FS. Falin has played well so far. The issues were having OLBs checking slot receivers. Union had to replace 3/4 LBs going into the season, it's gonna take some time for new starters to get used to the speed. 

Union will likely only pass enough to keep the defense honest or try and convert on long yardage distances. The run game has been very good, hell Jenkins had 220 yards on 11 touches, Polier added another 65 and Stidham was effective as well. The OL is a big strength for this team in the run game, so I expect Union to really grind the game out. 

I think Burton and GC's defense are pretty even, but I would give higher marks to Burton's offense on line, RBs and QB play. Hard to compare WRs since GC's QB couldn't get the ball in the air and when he did it was overthrown. Had Calhoun played the RBs would have been even.

I believe that Union will win the LOS on both sides of the ball based on what I've seen so far. Maybe a little unfair to Richlands since I've only seen them once, but I felt that George Wythe had a much better line than GC and Richlands' was even to slightly better. 

Union has better team speed overall with Jenkins likely to be the fastest player on the field.

Richlands' receivers run good routes and the QB has a good arm and the balls get there fast, but it seemed that he holds onto the ball a little longer than Blues' QBs in the past. Maybe due to not as much speed at WR? 

Like everyone else said, this game will come down to the Bears' ability to stop the pass. If Union can sustain long, time consuming SCORING drives and stop Richlands a couple of times, they win. If they can't stop the pass, the Blues win.

Union offense is like watching water drip from a faucet. But it’s consistent. Richlands is dangerous on all sides.

will be a fun one - I’ll take the Tornado 31-14. Think their D will get a few stops on 4th and short in 2nd half. Chunk plays on O from Richlands & solid run defense will get the Blues to 2-0 in ‘18. 

11 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

Union offense is like watching water drip from a faucet. But it’s consistent. Richlands is dangerous on all sides.

will be a fun one - I’ll take the Tornado 31-14. Think their D will get a few stops on 4th and short in 2nd half. Chunk plays on O from Richlands & solid run defense will get the Blues to 2-0 in ‘18. 

11 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

We can tell you have never seen a Union Richlands game, even with Mitchell the games have been close. As far as water dripping, you are right but Jenkins can score in less than 10 seconds anywhere on the field. Come to the game and see a true grudge match

14 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

No way either team beats the other that bad....it will be a close game just like always....I'm gonna say the blues win 31-28.....

14 hours ago, Trojan88 said:

I’m still confused at how Unions offense is like watching water drip from a faucet? Jenkins can score from anywhere on the field at anytime he is probably the fastest kid in swva. Polier will end up running over serveral people before the game is over. And they can spread it out and throw the ball if needed the rasnick kid is dangerous when he catches the ball has really good moves in the open field. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisRollTide said:

I’m still confused at how Unions offense is like watching water drip from a faucet? Jenkins can score from anywhere on the field at anytime he is probably the fastest kid in swva. Polier will end up running over serveral people before the game is over. And they can spread it out and throw the ball if needed the rasnick kid is dangerous when he catches the ball has really good moves in the open field. 

I believe he's referring to lining up in the T and getting 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It's slow, predictable, and consistent. After a while, it drives the other team crazy when they can't stop "the drip."

10 minutes ago, ChrisRollTide said:

Agree with everything you said, but more importantly, username of the year. 

I was just putting in my two cents. Just because it has been close in recent years doesn’t mean it will be close this year. Who knows what we will see, that’s why we play games every year.  

And @Union_Fan is correct, I meant the Union O was consistent & ate up clock with long drives. I just think this Richlands team will dial up big plays on offense and will get a few stops on D Friday night. 

I’m just happy Football is back in SWVA! Good luck & good health to both teams - 

A classic match-up, and always an exciting game to watch.  Union is strong and consistent with the run.  When they line up in the "T" it reminds me of the old GC teams under Harry Fry, 4-downs and a cloud of dust, only pass the ball to keep the LB's honest.  Richlands runs the ball on occasion to keep the DB's honest, and they pass consistently with a multiple core of talented receivers.  Looks like another game to be decided in the last minute of regulation.  I'd give Richlands the advantage with the kicking game, and look for a last minute field coal to win the game. Richlands 31 Union 28.

I just don't feel like this is a high scoring game.  Union needs to grind on the clock to keep Richlands Offense off the field.  The Blues need to keep scoring with the Bears and get it into the 4th quarter.

Turnovers may be the deciding factor and its going to be an electric atmosphere at Ernie Hicks.  Expect a large and rowdy crowd.

Just because I feel Union's run game is probably better, I pick the Bears

Bears   17

Blues   14

I feel like Union is set up to possibly beat better teams via shorting the game with there run heave Offence but will struggle if they fall behind. I think Union played Base D last week as to no have that much on tape for Richlands to scout. 

Honistly I think both teams should feel good about there chances in this game 

Richlands mush feel great in knowing that there passing attack looks to be taylor made to put up big numbers on what looks to be the soft spot of the Union D and Union must feel good about there Power running game with there Huge O-line vs an undersized Richlands D Front.

Should be a fun game to watch

15 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s early, but a 60% chance of rain Friday. Does that kill the crowd a little? And how does that change each team’s mindset? 

I killed the crowd a little last year. Normally, rain would help a run heavy team, but it's on turf so may not make a difference unless it's a downpour.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s early, but a 60% chance of rain Friday. Does that kill the crowd a little? And how does that change each team’s mindset? 

From the weather channel forecast the rain should be over by around 7:00, so I don't think it will be much to worry about. (hopefully) The crowd will still be lager than most and the rain doesn't effect the turf as much as grass, so all in all I still look for a classic like we all have gotten use to over the past few years with these two.  It's always hard to pick a winner, but my heart tells me Richlands by a field goal.