Week 2 grudge: Union @ Richlands

CriticalNoise

Union was clearly the more complete team tonight. Congratulations to them. However I do believe Taylor horn going down right before the half really hurt Richlands tonight in the second half and will in upcoming games until he is healthy again, if he even will be this season. Not making any excuses, but obviously losing your best receiver and probably defensive back hurts.again congrats to the bears, an excellent team once again as expected 

Another classic in the rivalry. Back and forth all night long. 

Blues lost Taylor Horn to a dislocated elbow on the final play of the half. He was key in setting the edge and in the 2nd half, Union made he adjustment to just run directly to where he once was. Backup wasn’t setting the edge and Jenkins was running outside all night. 

Would love to see a playoff game beteeen the two with both teams healthy all game. 

Also, this was the worst officiating I’ve ever seen. Both ways. Union got screwed on a Richlands muffed punt that the official blew his whistle before anyone had possession. So by rule they had to redo the down and Turner got a 15 yarder. Thought that was th turning point. Also a pass interference that was a judgement call. Back got to and made contact with Cole just before the ball got there. Not sure if it was enough for a flag, but official thought it was. 

Union was also helped by several huge missed blocks in the back that let Jenkins have big returns all night long. 

*paragraph came off the wrong way. I’m sure the kid is a good kid and said some stuff in the heat of the moment that was out of line*

Overall another fun game. Score is very misleading. This was a tipped ball away from being a tie game with under a minute to go. 

Good luck to the Bears moving forward. Excited to see how they fare against the Pack. 

5 minutes ago, local_insight said:

Richlands has not line play and a HORRIBLE defense!

Richlands loss was Graham's gain so to speak. Trey Booker came back and we got Tornados long time defensive coordinator. Tazewell did play us hard and well tonight. I imagine Richlands will do the same when we play them. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Also, if I’m Turner, I’m sitting 69 next week. He picked up Steele for the Blues over top of his head and gave him a HHH spine buster. It was flagged, but he should have been tossed. There’s no need for that kind of stuff. Just tackle him and move on. 

That was actually 43. He finished in the top 5 last year in his weight class. Obviously, the wrestler came out in him. I don't think he set out to do that. It just happened. 

19 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That was actually 43. He finished in the top 5 last year in his weight class. Obviously, the wrestler came out in him. I don't think he set out to do that. It just happened. 

I thought it was 69. Maybe he was the one that was beside him. I’m just trying to think of player safety. That can really hurt a kid. 

From what i seen these 2 teams were pretty equal. Take away the blocked punt and pick six and its a tie ball game.  Offenses scored same amount of points. Yes Union deserved to win and did everything right. Richlands has some line problems that im not sure they can fix. Race was back pedaling most of the night as he was passing. But i didnt see either team being the more complete team. Union does have that one standout  player in Jenkins that Richlands doesn't have. As far as refs they did an ok job besides the one bad call on the inadvertent whistle. Was a terrible call. Shouldve been bears ball. Seen some holding calls on both teams that werent called but more so with Union. But happens every game. I honestly thought Union was gonna be better. I predicted them to win. Still a good team though.  I believe if we see a rematch it will be much closer.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Another classic in the rivalry. Back and forth all night long. 

Blues lost Taylor Horn to a dislocated elbow on the final play of the half. He was key in setting the edge and in the 2nd half, Union made he adjustment to just run directly to where he once was. Backup wasn’t setting the edge and Jenkins was running outside all night. 

Would love to see a playoff game beteeen the two with both teams healthy all game. 

Also, this was the worst officiating I’ve ever seen. Both ways. Union got screwed on a Richlands muffed punt that the official blew his whistle before anyone had possession. So by rule they had to redo the down and Turner got a 15 yarder. Thought that was th turning point. Also a pass interference that was a judgement call. Back got to and made contact with Cole just before the ball got there. Not sure if it was enough for a flag, but official thought it was. 

Union was also helped by several huge missed blocks in the back that let Jenkins have big returns all night long. 

Also, if I’m Turner, I’m sitting 69 next week. He picked up Steele for the Blues over top of his head and gave him a HHH spine buster. It was flagged, but he should have been tossed. There’s no need for that kind of stuff. Just tackle him and move on. 

Overall another fun game. Score is very misleading. This was a tipped ball away from being a tie game with under a minute to go. 

Good luck to the Bears moving forward. Excited to see how they fare against the Pack. 

Ryan your right about the worst officiating game ever.  It was bad for both teams but I may be wrong but it seemed like Union got the worst of it.  Our ends were being held all night also.  Almost felt like game was in Kentucky.

40 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

From what i seen these 2 teams were pretty equal. Take away the blocked punt and pick six and its a tie ball game.  Offenses scored same amount of points. Yes Union deserved to win and did everything right. Richlands has some line problems that im not sure they can fix. Race was back pedaling most of the night as he was passing. But i didnt see either team being the more complete team. Union does have that one standout  player in Jenkins that Richlands doesn't have. As far as refs they did an ok job besides the one bad call on the inadvertent whistle. Was a terrible call. Shouldve been bears ball. Seen some holding calls on both teams that werent called but more so with Union. But happens every game. I honestly thought Union was gonna be better. I predicted them to win. Still a good team though.  I believe if we see a rematch it will be much closer.

Union is very much still a work in progress. Honestly, I think Union is better on both sides of the line than Richlands is. Even so, Union won the 3rd phase of the game pretty handily...special teams. The blocked punt in the end zone was a direct result of Union’s punter putting the ball inside the 10 on consecutive punts. Union had some pretty nice returns setting themselves up with field position, too. Besides the bad longsnap, Union pretty much dominated that phase of the game and it showed up in field position. When teams are even, special teams is usually the deciding factor. Winning the turnover battle 3-0 doesn’t hurt your chances, either.

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

The "spine buster"...https://mobile.twitter.com/AppalachiaPrep/status/1035729361486405633

After looking at this again, I know it's rough, but I honestly don't know if it's illegal. Maybe @1in Stripes could tell us.

Definately could’ve been a lot worse. He pretty much just dumped him. He could have driven his shoulder into him as he took him to the ground or came down on top of him with all his weight...but he didn’t. That alone tells me he wasn’t trying to hurt the kid.

7 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Can anyone tell me why Richlands got the urge to run through Unions band pregame?

Richlands wasn’t off the field. If you’ve ever watched Richlands warm up, the last they do is punting. They send their return guy out to catch 3 punts, and on the 3rd punt, the whole team runs down and surrounds he return man and they have their huddle before heading into the locker room. It’s been happening for 15+ years. 

Thats on the Union band for going onto the field while one team is still out there doing their pregame stuff. You could see a coach go down and tell those kids what we’re coming and the director didn’t do anything. 

They didn’t hit a kid, thankfully. It could have been much worse. But as someone who was once in band, you can’t just march out onto the field while the team is still out there. It’s their field. 

I took a video of it because I knew it was coming. Not sure if Union’s band director is new or what. But maybe that’s a lesson for them to wait until teams are fully off the field. 

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

Looked like a textbook tackle to me....broke down, wrapped him up, lifted and dropped. What's the prob? 

Because you don’t lift players off the ground and throw them down? It’s a penalty 100% of the time, the same way hurdling a player who’s still on his two feet is a flag. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands wasn’t off the field. If you’ve ever watched Richlands warm up, the last they do is punting. They send their return guy out to catch 3 punts, and on the 3rd punt, the whole team runs down and surrounds he return man and they have their huddle before heading into the locker room. It’s been happening for 15+ years. 

Thats on the Union band for going onto the field while one team is still out there doing their pregame stuff. You could see a coach go down and tell those kids what we’re coming and the director didn’t do anything. 

They didn’t hit a kid, thankfully. It could have been much worse. But as someone who was once in band, you can’t just march out onto the field while the team is still out there. It’s their field. 

I took a video of it because I knew it was coming. Not sure if Union’s band director is new or what. But maybe that’s a lesson for them to wait until teams are fully off the field. 

Union's band director isn't new. Is Richlands' PA guy new? Because he's the one that told them to take the field.

17 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Union's band director isn't new. Is Richlands' PA guy new? Because he's the one that told them to take the field.

They were already on the field when he started announcing them. It was an unfortunate event. But what is the team supposed to do? Just scrap the last 3 minutes of their pregame warmup that they’ve done for 15 years? 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

They were already on the field when he started announcing them. It was an unfortunate event. But what is the team supposed to do? Just scrap the last 3 minutes of their pregame warmup that they’ve done for 15 years? 

It was an unfortunate incident and I'm not trying to make a big deal, it's done and over with. However, a visiting band isn't randomly going to take the field unless someone from the home school tells them to. If that's the football team's tradition then whoever told Union's band to take the field should have known that and is at fault.