Week 2 grudge: Union @ Richlands

CriticalNoise

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

what is the team supposed to do? Just scrap the last 3 minutes of their pregame warmup that they’ve done for 15 years? 

I mean, yeah.. it’s not really that important. But as someone else said, it’s done and over with and doesn’t need to be made a big deal. Just like Poliers hit is done and over with and doesn’t need to be made a big deal. 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Because you don’t lift players off the ground and throw them down? It’s a penalty 100% of the time, the same way hurdling a player who’s still on his two feet is a flag. 

Maybe the tailback should weigh more?  Haha. The way it was described in previous posts prior to the video post, I thought he picked him up over his head and suplexed him. That happened so quick I don't think there's anyway the kid planned that.  It just happened. 

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It was not nearly as vicious as some have described. 

It’s still a penalty. Whether it was as bad as people made it or not, it’s still a personal foul for unnecessary roughness. 

I have no problem with the penalty wait a minute yes I do what was Mason suppose to do let him score, or just run by him. And as the band goes my son is in the band and they could hear your side saying they couldn't believe Mance let that happen. But its in the past moving on to Letcher Co. The Bears proved they ain't down this year like some on this board seem to believe. 

13 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The "spine buster"...https://mobile.twitter.com/AppalachiaPrep/status/1035729361486405633

After looking at this again, I know it's rough, but I honestly don't know if it's illegal. Maybe @1in Stripes could tell us.

By the rules today, yes the crew got it right in flagging it.  I dont believe there was any malicious intent but the call is correct.  43 got low with great form.  His wrestling experience took over from there, but not a reason to hurt the kid.

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

They were already on the field when he started announcing them. It was an unfortunate event. But what is the team supposed to do? Just scrap the last 3 minutes of their pregame warmup that they’ve done for 15 years? 

I saw the video. Perhaps Union should have waited. I do think Richlands could have handled it better. There was no need in running THROUGH the band. 

It was an unfortunate incident. I don’t think any malice was intended. We can move forward. 

3 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

I saw the video. Perhaps Union should have waited. I do think Richlands could have handled it better. There was no need in running THROUGH the band. 

It was an unfortunate incident. I don’t think any malice was intended. We can move forward. 

Unfortunate and firing up the social media world. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands wasn’t off the field. If you’ve ever watched Richlands warm up, the last they do is punting. They send their return guy out to catch 3 punts, and on the 3rd punt, the whole team runs down and surrounds he return man and they have their huddle before heading into the locker room. It’s been happening for 15+ years. 

Thats on the Union band for going onto the field while one team is still out there doing their pregame stuff. You could see a coach go down and tell those kids what we’re coming and the director didn’t do anything. 

They didn’t hit a kid, thankfully. It could have been much worse. But as someone who was once in band, you can’t just march out onto the field while the team is still out there. It’s their field. 

I took a video of it because I knew it was coming. Not sure if Union’s band director is new or what. But maybe that’s a lesson for them to wait until teams are fully off the field. 

Union is not to blame for that fiasco.  Visiting bands go on the field when the home school tells them to.  

It may have just been a miscommunication. I know Union’s band director and have for many years. She would not intentionally disrespect another team and has wished me luck on seeking a special education degree. 

If she disrespected Richlands then it was not intentional. 

Richlands could have handled the situation a lot better than they did.