Week 2 grudge: Union @ Richlands

CriticalNoise

41 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Union is not to blame for that fiasco.  Visiting bands go on the field when the home school tells them to.  

I'm guessing the band had no clue as to the pregame huddle ritual and presumed once the announcer welcomed them to the field the football players would exit. Sometimes, even when one doesn't feel as though they're in the wrong, an apology can smooth things over. That would be the option, I'd take if I were Richlands. Swallow that Blue Tornado pride and say sorry even if you blame the band. Just my humble insight, I wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Union is not to blame for that fiasco.  Visiting bands go on the field when the home school tells them to.  

You’re right. 

And I know the exact time that they were told to enter the field, and the time that they actually did (which was early). 

They came on early. Hell even our band director was tying to motion for them to get off the field. It wasn’t their time yet. 

This reminds me of a pre-consolidation incident at a football game in 2009. It was JJ Kelly at Appalachia. Appalachia always entered the field by the goal post in front of the Dawg House. JJ Kelly fans and team created a fan tunnel at that spot. Appalachia felt disrespected and started walking through the tunnel and there was a confrontation between the teams. 

While it may have been disrespectful on JJ Kelly’s part, Appalachia’s team handled it the wrong way. 

Again, I am sure Union’s band director did not intend on anything wrong. I am sure it was a miscommunication that led to Union entering too early. But the moment the Richlands team began to do what they did, it was the wrong decision. Nobody was hurt to my knowledge but it doesn’t mean it was right. Someone could have been hurt. 

I saw the video and pictures. I wasn’t there. I can say that a lot of fans from Union, Richlands, and other fan bases were less than flattered by the team’s actions. 

I do think an apology should be made and we can move forward. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs52 said:

So was Richlands stomping the color guards flags and twisting they’re cleats in them the right thing to do? Just asking for a friend!

That is a rumor. There are no photos or video of anything like that happening. Until there is physical proof that it happened, it’s nothing more than a wild rumor to make this story more sensationalized. 

1 hour ago, Suit Up said:

Does anyone have any new knowledge of horn’s injury or how long he is expected to be out?

The X-ray made me want to puke. But supposedly he will be back before Bluefield. We’ll how soon beforehand. Having the off week this week certainly helps. 

I think  two of the biggest plays of the game that went against Richlands and for Union were punt plays.  Richlands would not step up and fair catch these punts and let them roll down inside their five yard line. One led to a defensive touchdown and the other poor field position. They need somebody to step up and catch these punts.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

The X-ray made me want to puke. But supposedly he will be back before Bluefield. We’ll how soon beforehand. Having the off week this week certainly helps. 

My understanding was he dislocated his elbow. But you never know with dislocations. Sometimes they’re not a big deal and sometimes they can put a player out for months depending on the damage done.glad to hear it sounds like it wasn’t that severe.

21 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

My understanding was he dislocated his elbow. But you never know with dislocations. Sometimes they’re not a big deal and sometimes they can put a player out for months depending on the damage done.glad to hear it sounds like it wasn’t that severe.

Yep.......I had a badly dislocated shoulder back when I played as a soph. and had issues with it both Jr and Sr years,  and as a matter of fact still have issues with it to this day.  Of course I should have had surgery for it and never did so probably my fault for the issues I have.  Hopefully he will be fine and be back to the field soon !

2 hours ago, Suit Up said:

Yep. It was a dislocated elbow. 

On 9/2/2018 at 7:39 AM, Bulldogs52 said:

So was Richlands stomping the color guards flags and twisting they’re cleats in them the right thing to do? Just asking for a friend!

Did you see this happen? Or are you going off hearsay? Because all the hearsay I have heard regarding the issue, is 98.9% incorrect. 

Been out of town the last couple of days, but all through my high school years i was in the band and I am sorry this happened to anyone, but the timing was off up until the game actually kicked off.  If you will remember the players lined up for kick off, and the anthem had yet to be played.  I think the announcer wasn't organized, as sometimes happens at the first home game.  Don't think Richlands meant anything wrong by what happened, and the team always follows that same routine at home games.

As far as the game goes, the best team won, no doubt.  The officiating was not the best by far, but it went both ways.  I saw missed calls on both teams, and bad calls on both teams. It just seemed that the officials could not keep up with the players, and were out of position on critical plays.  Once again, this happened to both teams and in my opinion did not alter the outcome of the game.

Good luck to both teams and as fans, we hope for another match up down the road.  Both teams played well, in my opinion, with some mistakes on both sides, but all in all a fun game to watch, and I think the best team won. Just goes to show what a great rivalry this has turned into.

Good Morning everyone, my two cents on this post, I was close to the 40 yard line during warm ups on Union side, I did see the football team going threw the band area. Didn't see nobody stepping on any toe or anything of that source. I understand that it wasn't professional and don't see it happening in the near future.