Questions for Thursday's Pod?

Ryan4VT

Which team in Week 2 is in the best shape to come away with a for sure win and which team has the best shot in pulling an upset?

How do you guys feel about the fact that SWVA teams will play 2 August games this year? I watched 2 games last week, and all 4 teams had multiple kids go down with cramps. In your guys' opinions, does a post Labor Day start to the season help with that? I know cramps are a part of early season football, but earlier starts to the school year, and to the season, can't help. 

45 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

They’ve always ran zone, so it’s not a complete change in philosophy.

Zone blocking schemes in a power running game are one thing.  Dixon is better at coaching the OL than anyone in our area.  He's been doing that for years.  Seeing Galax throw the football 52 times to 13 different receivers in two games (counting benefit against Floyd) is a dynamic shift in philosophy for a Mark Dixon coached team.  Multiple formations with very little of the single power back set we're used to seeing from Galax.

Those who know me on this site, know i'm not prone to hyperbole.  I'm very much a realist who has been saying Galax needs to be more balanced for a number of years now.  With that said, this Galax team is deeper and more talented than any I can remember Dixon having with speed and athleticism in spades.  Couple that with two very gifted QB's and a shift in offensive philosophy to get the ball in the hands of that speed in the open field, it could be a special season.  I'm more excited to see this season play out than any in recent memory. 

2 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

They’ve always ran zone, so it’s not a complete change in philosophy.

The game changes and teams adapt or everyone would still be running the Notre Dame Box

The play calling by Dixon against Glenvar was by far the best I have seen from him to date. The past few years he would run the same play multiple, multiple times a game. Ha in some games it would be the same play all the way down the field until he scored, just changed the blocking a little.  He put those kids in a position as to WIN Friday against Glenvar. You had no idea what was coming and it all worked very well. If one of the QBs hadn't mishandled the ball 3 different times (all deep in Glenvar territory) would have had a different outcome.  In the past it was a heavy dose of RB1 and a heavy dose of RB2  all while being pounded on by the line, then throw if needed. It was extremely fun to see what would come next. The same on defense. He ran more different blitz packages Friday night than I seen him run in the past 4 or 5 seasons combined. The lack of the afford mentioned  cost them the game against Chilhowie last year.   We will know more after the game against Radford Friday night. I am far from crowning Galax on anything or jumping on hype train as there is a ton of ball to be played. Although I am with Sixcat this team has different feel to it this year, and it is centered around Dixon. 

12 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

The play calling by Dixon against Glenvar was by far the best I have seen from him to date. The past few years he would run the same play multiple, multiple times a game. Ha in some games it would be the same play all the way down the field until he scored, just changed the blocking a little.  He put those kids in a position as to WIN Friday against Glenvar. You had no idea what was coming and it all worked very well. If one of the QBs hadn't mishandled the ball 3 different times (all deep in Glenvar territory) would have had a different outcome.  In the past it was a heavy dose of RB1 and a heavy dose of RB2  all while being pounded on by the line, then throw if needed. It was extremely fun to see what would come next. The same on defense. He ran more different blitz packages Friday night than I seen him run in the past 4 or 5 seasons combined. The lack of the afford mentioned  cost them the game against Chilhowie last year.   We will know more after the game against Radford Friday night. I am far from crowning Galax on anything or jumping on hype train as there is a ton of ball to be played. Although I am with Sixcat this team has different feel to it this year, and it is centered around Dixon. 

I didn't mean to anoint Galax in any way but the changes, especially on offense, are exciting.  Having two very capable QB's is also a departure from past Dixon led teams.  I also believe the feel around this team is vastly different than in recent years.  In my opinion, we have a bit of "addition by subtraction" where some real knuckleheads have graduated and aren't bringing a negative vibe to the program, school and community as a whole.  The kids representing this team are good kids and easy to root for.  That hasn't been the case for the past couple of years! 

The defensive changes are a bit tougher to read.  It's still a base 3-4 look but very aggressive in the middle with pressure coming from anywhere at any time.  I think it will help the DB's given opposing QB's and WR's won't have as long to make a play down field.  In years past, Galax DB's have had to maintain coverage for far too long.  If they can get the amount of pressure of Glenvar's QB they did Friday night, they should be able to get pressure on anyone! 

By the way, Glenvar's QB is huge!!!!!  The preview piece I saw on them suggests he is 6'-6" tall and 240 pounds.  He was a load to get down!

12 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

What is the future outlook for Carroll County now that Turner has took over head coaching responsibilities. Thanks 

Carroll's future depends on how effective Turner can be in getting the community to buy into the dedication required to compete at a much higher level.  Carroll has always had talent but has lacked a sustained dedication to weight lifting, film study and off-season programs.  I think Carroll being about as difficult to navigate as any place you will find in this part of the country adds to the difficulty.  Given many parents travel for work, it's a daunting task.  

In my opinion, if they could figure out a way to provide transportation to kids who live in parts of he county not surrounding Hillsville, they will have a much better chance at succeeding.