Gc vs ab

who?

4 minutes ago, Flanker87 said:

Agree. Then Reed returns the favor when he takes over as head coach in 1-2 years.

I keep seeing this but is he really that much better? his teams at Wise were well below par for the talent he had and while he did have success in Abingdon I am not sure he won any games that he should not have won and dropped a few he should have won.

Not trying to pick a fight but is Reed REALLY the answer?

3 minutes ago, Counts said:

I keep seeing this but is he really that much better? his teams at Wise were well below par for the talent he had and while he did have success in Abingdon I am not sure he won any games that he should not have won and dropped a few he should have won.

No. I think he's a great asset on defense, but I would be absolutely shocked if he were a successful head coach at Gate City.

7 minutes ago, Counts said:

I have no idea. But cannot you really do any worse of a job there? I think he would be successful in getting kids out and excited and possibly even getting the community behind him. I'm from Tazewell, we've lived this scenario.

Nobody knows if Reed would be the answer for GC next year but everybody knows Akers isn't.  Whoever the new coach , hopefully next season, will be somebody who can reenergize the program and get the kids excited again and want to come out and play.  

Unfortunately, GC has hit such a low it will take longer than 1-2 years to get back to being competitive again.  This is a young team and with the right leadership maybe in 3-4 years they can be a playoff team again.

Abingdon will have a field day in the passing game and call it quits early in the second half.  Margin of victory does nothing for teams in high school so I don't see it being a story. 

Reed is not the greatest head coach alive, but he is the best that GC can do. All the same numbskulls are still around from the brilliant decision to hire CA in the first place. If given the opportunity, they'd flubb it again. 

GC gets a little better & grows up a little bit. They've already lost their two best players in #35(P) & #55(LB\OL). Nine more weeks, fellows; let's keep showing up, cheering, & spending money. 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:47 AM, Flanker87 said:

I think he would be successful in getting kids out and excited and possibly even getting the community behind him. 

Talk to former players at Abingdon and Wise Central and ask them if Reed is good at getting kids out to play football or developing good relationships with his players. GC alum may be drinking the Kool Aid because of loyalty or desperation but he's not turning that program around. Could he do a worse job thank Akers? Probably not, but he isn't going to get the numbers up or win anytime in the near future which would be the final nail in the coffin. 

Kids aren't the same everywhere you go.  Take a bunch of kids right now from a school that isn't used to winning on a yearly basis and put them at Graham, Union, or Richlands and tell me how much they would like the coach.  Winning programs don't just show up in the fall, there is a lot of work that has to be done in the offseason and some kids may not like that if they aren't used to it.

I'm not saying Reed would turn GC around by any means but you can't just throw something like "ask what kids at Central or  Abingdon think about him."  If they aren't used to winning then more than likely they aren't used to putting in the work that winning programs expect out of their players.  

I have known Darren a long time. He knows his X's & O's, and is a good DC. He will motivate kids playing for him. Give him a D, and he will get the most out of those kids.

He is not a butt kisser, and will not go out of his way to try and appease administration or community leaders. Hell, he will not worry about appeasing them if they come to him. He does not care how he "rubs" people. Not exactly warm and fuzzy. :)

I believe most of the GC fans realize what a bad situation our football program is in right now. We are not just a HC away from turning this program around in a couple of years. Not even close.

Our numbers are down, and our talent is down. With a great HC we might be able to survive one of those. With both of those....and throwing Akers in the mix............the end is not in sight. There is not a HC in America that could turn the program around in a couple of years. And no..........I do not believe Akers is the answer. Actually believe he would not have been the HC this year if the Powers That Be thought they could have found a better candidate.............that should speak volumes about the state of our program.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe the best case scenario is us being back to "us" in around 5-7 years.

22 minutes ago, Great City said:

I have known Darren a long time. He knows his X's & O's, and is a good DC. He will motivate kids playing for him. Give him a D, and he will get the most out of those kids.

He is not a butt kisser, and will not go out of his way to try and appease administration or community leaders. Hell, he will not worry about appeasing them if they come to him. He does not care how he "rubs" people. Not exactly warm and fuzzy. 🙂

I believe most of the GC fans realize what a bad situation our football program is in right now. We are not just a HC away from turning this program around in a couple of years. Not even close.

Our numbers are down, and our talent is down. With a great HC we might be able to survive one of those. With both of those....and throwing Akers in the mix............the end is not in sight. There is not a HC in America that could turn the program around in a couple of years. And no..........I do not believe Akers is the answer. Actually believe he would not have been the HC this year if the Powers That Be thought they could have found a better candidate.............that should speak volumes about the state of our program.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe the best case scenario is us being back to "us" in around 5-7 years.

Kudos to you, that's very realistic. Once a program falls as far as GC has fallen, from state title in 2010, making deep runs in 13/14, to winning 1-2 games, it'll take some time to rebuild excitement. 

You may get lucky and have an uber talented group of 7th or 8th graders and get back to making the playoffs and winning 6-7 games in 2-3 years but realistically it takes five years or so to build the youth program back to standard and revitalize the fans and kids into wanting to be a part of a winning team. 

But let's not pretend GC is Thomas Walker, GC was in the playoffs in 2016, won 10 games only four years ago. 

Realistically, GC has had two bad years in a three year run. It's not a death sentence. GC was relevant two seasons ago, it shouldn't be seen as a gigantic feat for GC to be competitive. 

For example-Ridgeview was 2-8 as recently as 2016. By 2018, they went 9-1. 

Now, their schedule is nowhere near as tough as GCs, GC has one of the toughest schedules around and Rick Mullins is one of the best 2-3 coaches in the area and GC cannot hope to get someone as good as Mullins, but that shows that with talent, you can turn around a program if you have a good-ish coach and a couple good classes of talent.

I'll be shocked if GC couldn't be a 6-4 team next year or in 2020 if a good HC was hired. 

Darren may not be the answer. Who really knows until given the chance, right? I’m not saying he is, but he’s better than what we have, he’s at least worn the blue and white, he believes in discipline from the classroom, to the weight room, on the field, and in the community. Darren is old school that way, and right now other than numbers, discipline is what GC lacks. I was told my whole playing career  “take care of the little things and the big things will work themselves out”. Firm believer of those words from Coach Colobro to this day. Reed was under Colobro long enough to know how a team should be ran. Reed was never really the yang to Colobro ying, they are very similar coaching style wise. I’d rather lose with one of our guys than to lose with an outsider who has ruined the pride and tradition. We are years away from changing the culture. But it can be done with hard work and dedication. Reed would put in more hours a week than Akers probably does in a month. 

Once the contracts are up, dropping one of the TN teams and picking up a team closer in talent and expectations like Lebanon makes sense. If you're rebuilding from the bottom, have realistic goals. You aren't gonna compete with Boone or Tennessee High when you can't compete with Lee High, so schedule more realistically. Getting wins and showing signs of improvement are not the same, but kids respond to winning. A great team learns more from playing a better team and losing, but a bad team gains very little by losing by 60. So, like you said, Lebanon, Eastside, etc.. would be more appropriate for GC at this stage. 

No need to have long contracts, just one home and home, and then if GC can get back to their standards, go back and try to find games in NE TN.

There will be a coaching change this year. 2019 is school board elections. Most of our school board needs replaced no matter what they do and I'm not saying it due to sports. There is so much more important issues than sports alone. That's why I hope we have some folks run that are good enough to replace the ones we have now. 

Like above posts said. GC is about five years away from turning this program around if they make the right hire. I love Reeds effort he puts into football. I am willing to give him a chance if no better candidate applies. 

With North and South closing, we may get partial help then. This problem isn't just happening at GC. It's going to be a problem everywhere before it's over. Dobyns-Bennett has 2300 kids and they're going through the same mess. I don't see that many "great" coaches out there available to be honest.  

5 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

With North and South closing, we may get partial help then. This problem isn't just happening at GC. It's going to be a problem everywhere before it's over. Dobyns-Bennett has 2300 kids and they're going through the same mess. I don't see that many "great" coaches out there available to be honest.  

I know some of the younger North kids are coming over next year.