Gc vs ab

who?

The only potential negative of giving Darren a chance as HC is what do you do if he fails? Do you demote him to DC (and would he accept that)?  Is it better to give him a chance as HC, or is it better to hire a HC and let Darren play to his strengths as a DC. Do not know the answer.

I am certainly no VHSL Rules Expert, but I thought eligibility hinges on where you enter 9th grade for the first time. If there are North kids who have already entered 9th grade and they then come to GC, do not believe they are eligible to play unless they physically move to Scott County. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.) Not sure if they would be eligible after attending a year at GC. No clue.

I do know that every couple of years we have TN kids who come over and ask about playing football. Generally these are kids that, due to disciplinary issues, are not going to be allowed to play football at their school. Their parents do not want to, or can not, pay the tuition to allow them to attend DB. These kids are told they must physically move to Scott County, and have it verified before they can play. They don't move, and they don't play.

I would imagine they would be eligible since their school is closing.  This scenario wouldn't be kids coming to GC for an athletic advantage.  I guess it would ultimately be decided by the powers at be.

I believe the North coach was interested when we ended up with Akers so maybe he would still be interested now that the school is closing, if it's the same coach.  I believe there are good coaches around here but you have to think the salary isn't great but the expectations are very high.  

1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

I would imagine they would be eligible since their school is closing.  This scenario wouldn't be kids coming to GC for an athletic advantage.  I guess it would ultimately be decided by the powers at be.

I believe the North coach was interested when we ended up with Akers so maybe he would still be interested now that the school is closing, if it's the same coach.  I believe there are good coaches around here but you have to think the salary isn't great but the expectations are very high.  

Robbie Norris (who recently retired from coaching at Sullivan North, and is now the schools AD) had the coaching job, but the hangup was with his assistant coaches coming with him. I am hearing more from the kids from the Rock Springs area, than Bloomingdale about coming to GC. 

Is Gate City's peanut program having issues with numbers also.  That's were it starts, it it's bad there it's gonna be bad at the varsity level also.  Most good programs run a very good peanut league like Union.  I'm sure Richlands, Ridgeview, and Buefield all do too.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Is Gate City's peanut program having issues with numbers also.  That's were it starts, it it's bad there it's gonna be bad at the varsity level also.  Most good programs run a very good peanut league like Union.  I'm sure Richlands, Ridgeview, and Buefield all do too.

Bluefield’s is an oiled machine, as is Richlands’s.  The others I cannot speak to.

Unions is very good. Always good turnout and teams run some of the T-formation to get the kids accustomed to the formation and how to run it.

Union lost a lot of great p-nut coaches over the past five years or so but they are getting quality coaches into the fold now and should have it back up to top level very soon.

Haven't saw much spread, but it's hard for 10-12 year olds to really understand all the spread concepts.

Basically if it's their first time in the vhsl they are immediately eligible no matter the reason for the transfer. If they go out of state then try to reenter the normal transfer rules apply.

We get transfers from C gap Tn, Middlesboro Ky, J Frank Tn, etc only one time has a kid been ineligible and that was because he was a freshman that transferred then reentered. 

On 8/28/2018 at 4:38 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Darren may not be the answer. Who really knows until given the chance, right? I’m not saying he is, but he’s better than what we have, he’s at least worn the blue and white, he believes in discipline from the classroom, to the weight room, on the field, and in the community. Darren is old school that way, and right now other than numbers, discipline is what GC lacks. I was told my whole playing career  “take care of the little things and the big things will work themselves out”. Firm believer of those words from Coach Colobro to this day. Reed was under Colobro long enough to know how a team should be ran. Reed was never really the yang to Colobro ying, they are very similar coaching style wise. I’d rather lose with one of our guys than to lose with an outsider who has ruined the pride and tradition. We are years away from changing the culture. But it can be done with hard work and dedication. Reed would put in more hours a week than Akers probably does in a month. 

Your posts are always great! You have such overwhelming knowledge of every situation. Let me get this straight, because guys that coach aren’t from GC, they can’t coach. Harry Fry was from Lee County? I believe that is correct. Nick Colobro wasn’t from GC either. A few years ago, you said that Houseright didn’t need the job. Then you said he needed a chance. Make up your mind. How do you know that the guys coaching now don’t try to instill discipline? How do you know Coach doesn’t watch film or work at all? It is easy to sit in mommy’s basement and criticize. Maybe you should apply for the job, since you played there.  I guess that an “outsider” took the job to completely “ruin” the program. I very seriously doubt that too. 

I would bet that you were an all state performer? Hahaha! Nope! I would go out on a limb and say you weren’t even an all district performer. You have made the comment that you don’t go to games any longer either.  You know for someone that bleeds blue, you sure do nothing but run everything into the ground.  I saw where you criticized the basketball coach last year too.   I guess you got tired of taking mommy to the games with you. 

Just come on up to wine and cheese country on Friday. I’m sure you can find some place good to eat that your mom would like. 

The 2019 GC HC should make an appointment at every elementary school around the last day of school and put on a ridiculous presentation. Set up the 5 championship trophies. Blast the fight song. Roll out the cheerleaders. Have the seniors come out WWE style. Give a  crazy speech & run around like you were on Ellen. If you want numbers, be proactive. 

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Yes. Our Little League season ended early because of it. The Redskins just didn't have enough to field their Varsity team this year as only 5 showed up. They tried pulling some up from JV but it was too much on the younger ones having to play two games a night. 

Travel ball just started practice yesterday and numbers are low there as well. We may be lucky to field the 8u team. Should have enough for the 10u and 12u teams.

Lee had some of the best numbers for travel last year of any of the teams I saw. 

24 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Your posts are always great! You have such overwhelming knowledge of every situation. Let me get this straight, because guys that coach aren’t from GC, they can’t coach. Harry Fry was from Lee County? I believe that is correct. Nick Colobro wasn’t from GC either. A few years ago, you said that Houseright didn’t need the job. Then you said he needed a chance. Make up your mind. How do you know that the guys coaching now don’t try to instill discipline? How do you know Coach doesn’t watch film or work at all? It is easy to sit in mommy’s basement and criticize. Maybe you should apply for the job, since you played there.  I guess that an “outsider” took the job to completely “ruin” the program. I very seriously doubt that too. 

I would bet that you were an all state performer? Hahaha! Nope! I would go out on a limb and say you weren’t even an all district performer.

If I was to guess, he is saying the program is at the lowest it's been with a guy who seems to not care too much.  It's a small town and people talk so word gets around pretty fast on what type of coach he is.  He's not saying if you're not from GC you can't coach.  For what ever reason, you've decided to attack somebody for his opinion on a program that he played in.  I hope your still in high school because that's awfully childish for you to say something like that.  

33 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

I would bet that you were an all state performer? Hahaha! Nope! I would go out on a limb and say you weren’t even an all district performer. You have made the comment that you don’t go to games any longer either.  You know for someone that bleeds blue, you sure do nothing but run everything into the ground.  I saw where you criticized the basketball coach last year too.   I guess you got tired of taking mommy to the games with you. 

Just come on up to wine and cheese country on Friday. I’m sure you can find some place good to eat that your mom would like. 

I thought Harry was fro Saltville?

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Marion's current coach Joey Carroll and former coach Danny Newman are both proud Lee County natives.

Ah, I don't how many are out there, I can think of Mike Smith (Hampton) and Charlie Porterfield (Kettle Run) as a couple others.  We won't go the players route, lol.  Lee has provided some good ones in the past.

6 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Ah, I don't how many are out there, I can think of Mike Smith (Hampton) and Charlie Porterfield (Kettle Run) as a couple others.  We won't go the players route, lol.  Lee has provided some good ones in the past.

Lee County the cradle of coaches in the Commonwealth!

Most of the Tennessee Kids that go to School at Gate City had Parents that lived in VA and bring there Kids to School there because they themselves went to GC. Now that North will be closing in the Future there will be more GC Parents who sent their Kids to TN come back to GC. About 70% or more GC Grads move to TN eventually to avoid the VA State Tax. 

1 hour ago, September said:

Now that North will be closing in the Future there will be more GC Parents who sent their Kids to TN come back to GC. 

Do you think so? I heard the same thing about all the St Paul kids going to Castlewood when it consolidated with Coeburn that lasted for about 2 years then Castlewood started losing some of there kids to Eastside