Gc vs ab

who?

1 hour ago, Counts said:

Do you think so? I heard the same thing about all the St Paul kids going to Castlewood when it consolidated with Coeburn that lasted for about 2 years then Castlewood started losing some of there kids to Eastside

Only 40 kids went to Eastside from St. Paul when they closed. Their count was 440 then. Think it's 411 now. Not sure how many come back from Castlewood. 

As far as GC goes. The migration has already begun. I'm hearing that dozens of kids have come in from Ketron Elementary school, one of North's feeder schools.

What is wrong with gc?..read not one,but two letters to the editor in Kingsport Times the past week and that is a big reason we are down like we are.   You are only as strong as your leaders.   You got the super’s wife being rude to a 91 year old who been buying season tickets since 1963 and then you got fat man coming out to yell at him.   All the while principal lane sits in his office and don’t have a care in the world.  He don’t care about gc football, as a matter of fact his Nickelsville roots are probably glad gc failing.  Need some changes up and down and it won’t get any better until school board has some changes.   Even then, there is no guarantees. 

“God created idiots, then he created the school board”,  Mark Twain

41 minutes ago, who? said:

What is wrong with gc?..read not one,but two letters to the editor in Kingsport Times the past week 

I knew about the 91 year old season ticket guy but what was the other one you are talking about?

2 hours ago, who? said:

What is wrong with gc?..read not one,but two letters to the editor in Kingsport Times the past week and that is a big reason we are down like we are.   You are only as strong as your leaders.   You got the super’s wife being rude to a 91 year old who been buying season tickets since 1963 and then you got fat man coming out to yell at him.   All the while principal lane sits in his office and don’t have a care in the world.  He don’t care about gc football, as a matter of fact his Nickelsville roots are probably glad gc failing.  Need some changes up and down and it won’t get any better until school board has some changes.   Even then, there is no guarantees. 

“God created idiots, then he created the school board”,  Mark Twain

I haven't heard about any of this. I don't think it is Mr. Lane not having a care. I think he is more scared than anything. The high school is one of the situations that needs to be fixed by the school board. That's why all but about two of them need to be replaced come November 2019. Can you view the letter to the editor online? Guess I'll go find out. 

Definitely showed some improvement before imploding at the end of the 2nd. Would have been a much tighter game if not for all the turnovers from that point on. Looked much better under center tonight that in the shotgun last week and preseason. 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:23 AM, Jason said:

Definitely showed some improvement before imploding at the end of the 2nd. Would have been a much tighter game if not for all the turnovers from that point on. Looked much better under center tonight that in the shotgun last week and preseason. 

GC definitely has some bright spots.  That being said, their number 1 problem is numbers.  They just can't expect 20 or 30 kids to stay in a game for 48 minutes without some form of a breather.  That and at times it looked as though they were on separate pages.  If they could get their numbers back up they would be competitive, but until then it'll be more of the same.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, September said:

Most of the Tennessee Kids that go to School at Gate City had Parents that lived in VA and bring there Kids to School there because they themselves went to GC. Now that North will be closing in the Future there will be more GC Parents who sent their Kids to TN come back to GC. About 70% or more GC Grads move to TN eventually to avoid the VA State Tax. 

As I did in 1990.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Union_Fan said:

Only 40 kids went to Eastside from St. Paul when they closed. Their count was 440 then. Think it's 411 now. Not sure how many come back from Castlewood. 

As far as GC goes. The migration has already begun. I'm hearing that dozens of kids have come in from Ketron Elementary school, one of North's feeder schools.

I've had a few people tell me the same thing about their kids. Not all of them play sports. They'd just rather they go to GC than travel to the airport every day.

This could actually turn into pretty good timing. With both schools closing, there should be plenty of coaches looking for work.

Then again I might just be looking through a pinhole for some sunlight...lol

22 minutes ago, Great City said:

Hard to believe that "dozens" of kids from Ketron are now in school in Scott County. Neither Weber City Elementary or Shoemaker Elementary could accommodate "dozens" of kids. Just not possible.

You would be wrong. Don't know about Shoemaker, but if you know anyone at Weber City Elementary, ask them.

57 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

This could actually turn into pretty good timing. With both schools closing, there should be plenty of coaches looking for work.

Then again I might just be looking through a pinhole for some sunlight...lol

Good for everyone else, but a real shame GC couldn't come to an agreement with Robbie Norris. He's a coach!

The football season is already underway and and we all know that the powers that be won’t be making any HC changes during the season.  

Any HC would probably not hurt the GC program more than it’s already suffering.  However, I do hope they give Houseright the HC job once the season is over.  He has rapport with the kids and would also try to get the youth program turned around and encourage the younger kids to play.  We need not only a knowledgeable person in the HC position, but a person that will bring enthusiasm back to our programs as well.

Houseright or Reed?   Who deserves it?  Who would be better?   Could they work together?  As the world turns.   Does Akers know he gone?   Where will he go?   He could choose to stay and just teach.  Maybe coach tennis and the kickers.

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

HC - Reed

OC - Collier

DC - Houseright

ST - Shockley

Assistant Coach - C. Gose

Assistant Coach - B. Jones 

*Akers can go coach tennis in hell. 

You think Barry would leave Union so soon to go back to GC?

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Union_Fan said:

You would be wrong. Don't know about Shoemaker, but if you know anyone at Weber City Elementary, ask them.

I do happen to know several people at Weber City Elementary. Spoke with one yesterday. She said they believe they have "several" more TN kids this year than they normally get, and that Shoemaker had a "few".

Sometimes I take things too literally. When you said "dozens" of kids.......that means.........well, dozens.......so at least 36 kids. Knew that was not possible because the policy the school system has always used is that kids from out of state can attend the schools as long as the school has the room, and the system does not have to hire extra teachers. An "extra" 36+ kids would require additional staff, and the school would not have room for them.

3 minutes ago, Great City said:

I do happen to know several people at Weber City Elementary. Spoke with one yesterday. She said they believe they have "several" more TN kids this year than they normally get, and that Shoemaker had a "few".

Sometimes I take things too literally. When you said "dozens" of kids.......that means.........well, dozens.......so at least 36 kids. Knew that was not possible because the policy the school system has always used is that kids from out of state can attend the schools as long as the school has the room, and the system does not have to hire extra teachers. An "extra" 36+ kids would require additional staff, and the school would not have room for them.

Looking at enrollment numbers it looks like both Shoemaker and Weber city are both flat enrollment wise over the last 5 years (Shoemaker had a dip that started about 6 years ago and has bounced back over the last 2 years to the point that they are about at the 2012 numbers

That being said with the way schools in our area are losing enrollment staying flat is probably about the same as growing realitivly speaking

21 minutes ago, Great City said:

Dozens as in 24 or more. 2017-18 enrollment for K-6 was 308 at Weber City. See here...http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

Their enrollment thus far is 339. That's a difference of 31. I was told that most were from Ketron. 6 in one day. I was also told that they have an additional teacher from what they anticipated having this school year.

You have to remember this too. Districts like Scott, Lee, Wise, etc... that get nearly 80% of their funding from the state welcome out of state/county kids because they basically get paid to take them. It isn't a tax burden. It would be on a Northern Va school as they only get 20% of their funding from the state. Scott Co would get somewhere around $7000 for every Tennessee kid that enrolls. If a new teacher's salary is $37,000 and benefits (not sure exactly what that adds up to) are another $37,000, that would be $74,000. So, 11 new kids would pay for that.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Dozens as in 24 or more. 2017-18 enrollment for K-6 was 308 at Weber City. See here...http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

Their enrollment thus far is 339. That's a difference of 31. I was told that most were from Ketron. 6 in one day. I was also told that they have an additional teacher from what they anticipated having this school year.

You have to remember this too. Districts like Scott, Lee, Wise, etc... that get nearly 80% of their funding from the state welcome out of state/county kids because they basically get paid to take them. It isn't a tax burden. It would be on a Northern Va school as they only get 20% of their funding from the state. Scott Co would get somewhere around $7000 for every Tennessee kid that enrolls. If a new teacher's salary is $37,000 and benefits (not sure exactly what that adds up to) are another $37,000, that would be $74,000. So, 11 new kids would pay for that.

Knew it was not a tax burden. Is why the county has always allowed them to come to Scott tuition free. Makes sense...........as long as you have a place to put them.

My kids went to Weber City. Am very familiar with the TN kids that have always been a fixture there. Know a lot of them and their families. Most of those kids end up going to GC, and some of them end up playing sports. Is why it is so funny to me to hear about "all" of those TN kids that go to GC to play sports.

Again.........not trying to argue. Know I take things too literally at times.

7 minutes ago, Great City said:

Knew it was not a tax burden. Is why the county has always allowed them to come to Scott tuition free. Makes sense...........as long as you have a place to put them.

My kids went to Weber City. Am very familiar with the TN kids that have always been a fixture there. Know a lot of them and their families. Most of those kids end up going to GC, and some of them end up playing sports. Is why it is so funny to me to hear about "all" of those TN kids that go to GC to play sports.

Again.........not trying to argue. Know I take things too literally at times.

I say come one, come all. haha

During the consolidation debate, people used to go nuts talking about all the out of county kids going to Wise Co schools. Didn't have a clue that it was a benefit, not a detriment. I would take any transfer I could get, especially if they play football. 🙂