Gc vs ab

who?

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Dozens as in 24 or more. 2017-18 enrollment for K-6 was 308 at Weber City. See here...http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/report_data.shtml

Their enrollment thus far is 339. That's a difference of 31. I was told that most were from Ketron. 6 in one day. I was also told that they have an additional teacher from what they anticipated having this school year.

You have to remember this too. Districts like Scott, Lee, Wise, etc... that get nearly 80% of their funding from the state welcome out of state/county kids because they basically get paid to take them. It isn't a tax burden. It would be on a Northern Va school as they only get 20% of their funding from the state. Scott Co would get somewhere around $7000 for every Tennessee kid that enrolls. If a new teacher's salary is $37,000 and benefits (not sure exactly what that adds up to) are another $37,000, that would be $74,000. So, 11 new kids would pay for that.

Over the past 5 years the shoemaker number (PK-6) are as follows

17-18 - 565

16-17 - 621

15-16 -625

14-15 - 568

13-14 - 593

Weber City numbers are 

17-18 - 329

16-17 - 326

15-16 -340

14-15 - 331

13-14 - 346

It looks to me like an infusion of about 4 dozen kids will bring GC back in line with there 13-14 Numbers so I am sure the room for the kids is defiantly there 

12 minutes ago, Counts said:

Over the past 5 years the shoemaker number (PK-6) are as follows

17-18 - 565

16-17 - 621

15-16 -625

14-15 - 568

13-14 - 593

Weber City numbers are 

17-18 - 329

16-17 - 326

15-16 -340

14-15 - 331

13-14 - 346

It looks to me like an infusion of about 4 dozen kids will bring GC back in line with there 13-14 Numbers so I am sure the room for the kids is defiantly there 

Do you know what Yuma's numbers are.

55 minutes ago, Great City said:

Knew it was not a tax burden. Is why the county has always allowed them to come to Scott tuition free. Makes sense...........as long as you have a place to put them.

My kids went to Weber City. Am very familiar with the TN kids that have always been a fixture there. Know a lot of them and their families. Most of those kids end up going to GC, and some of them end up playing sports. Is why it is so funny to me to hear about "all" of those TN kids that go to GC to play sports.

Again.........not trying to argue. Know I take things too literally at times.

Knew it wasn't a tax burden?  I would like to know where you think that state money comes from?  I guess you think that the lottery still pays for all of that.  I guess that you also need to do some research in how far Virginia is behind the rest of the country in paying its teachers.  I also find it asinine that the people move out of the community to keep from paying VA taxes, yet want to send their students back across the border.  Wonder why they complain about the football facility.  Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Knew it wasn't a tax burden?  I would like to know where you think that state money comes from?  I guess you think that the lottery still pays for all of that.  I guess that you also need to do some research in how far Virginia is behind the rest of the country in paying its teachers.  I also find it asinine that the people move out of the community to keep from paying VA taxes, yet want to send their students back across the border.  Wonder why they complain about the football facility.  Just a thought.

For those counties at the bottom, it is absolutely NOT a tax burden on the citizens of THAT county to educate kids from out of county/state. It's a surplus. NOW, for those wealthy localities at the top like Fairfax City, Falls Church, Alexandria etc.. it is.

If I'm a citizen of Lee, Wise, Scott, or any other county at or near the bottom, I pay the same tax rate for sales, real estate, food, or personal property regardless of how many out of county/state kids come in. School system gets more money, and I don't pay one cent more to accommodate those kids. In fact, because my county/locality is getting the extra money that probably means my taxes won't be going up anytime soon.

We as Virginians still have to pay income tax, do we not?   I guess that they won't raise our income taxes at any point either.  So let's continue to rob Peter to pay Paul  (wealthy counties vs. poor ones).  I don't think it is at all fair to bring in kids to another school system, just so you are able justify more money. I don't think Virginia teachers are benefiting from that at all. Most of the time, the class size will continue to grow without new teachers being hired. So once again, we are failing the people that need it the most.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/03/05/how-much-or-little-teachers-earn-state-by-state/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.63c8e43dda0d

Congrats on your taxes not going up anytime soon.  I read on here that many of the people from the community left to avoid paying Virginia income tax, yet they turn around and send their children back to the school.  So, we are teaching it is okay to take from a system that they will not nor have any intention in paying into.  

18 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

We as Virginians still have to pay income tax, do we not?   

Yes sir, but my income tax is based on MY income, not how many TN kids go to Scott Co or Russell Co kids go to Wise Co, or KY kids go to Lee Co, so forth and so.

Never said it was fair or right. It is what it is. The wealthy use tax breaks and loop holes to game the system. What's the problem with poor counties doing the same?

48 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

We as Virginians still have to pay income tax, do we not?   I guess that they won't raise our income taxes at any point either.  So let's continue to rob Peter to pay Paul  (wealthy counties vs. poor ones).  I don't think it is at all fair to bring in kids to another school system, just so you are able justify more money. I don't think Virginia teachers are benefiting from that at all. Most of the time, the class size will continue to grow without new teachers being hired. So once again, we are failing the people that need it the most.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/03/05/how-much-or-little-teachers-earn-state-by-state/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.63c8e43dda0d

Congrats on your taxes not going up anytime soon.  I read on here that many of the people from the community left to avoid paying Virginia income tax, yet they turn around and send their children back to the school.  So, we are teaching it is okay to take from a system that they will not nor have any intention in paying into.  

The deal with the income tax stuff:

Many GC graduates end up working in TN...........because that is where the jobs are located. If you work in TN and live in VA, you pay income tax in VA. If you work in TN and live in TN, you do not pay any income tax. (TN sticks it to you with the sales tax.) So........there are tons of "GC People" who end up moving to, and living in, TN. A lot of these parents prefer their kids go to school at GC, so they start their kids in elementary school in either Weber City or Shoemaker. In their minds, they get the best of both worlds.

Really.............the best of both worlds would be to live/work in TN, send your kids to GC if you prefer, and do as much shopping as possible in VA. Lots of those parents bringing their kids to WC or Shoemaker do their shopping at Food City/Food Lion. = tax revenue.

The school system is not "bringing in kids" to the system. The parents are choosing where they take their kids based on what they perceive to be their best deal. Just like you do when you go shop for a car.............get your best deal.

BTW......Weber City and Shoemaker will not accept TN kids if they run out of room and have to displace a VA kid.

Edited to add teacher salary info.

This link says Virginia ranks 30th in teacher salaries. When adjusted for cost of living, VA ranks 24th.

https://www.johnlocke.org/update/education-update-teacher-pay-rankings-are-out/

2 hours ago, Great City said:

This link says Virginia ranks 30th in teacher salaries. When adjusted for cost of living, VA ranks 24th.

Of course that 30th in teacher salary also includes NOVA if those salaries are excluded Va and especially SWVA drops WAY below 30th

If Tenn residents think that they are getting a better education at GC and the residents of Scott County do not mind the drag of the extra kids on there property taxes then it sounds like a win win.

13 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Still don't understand why Weber City isn't booming with retail. 

I am guessing its simple geography.  Gate City on one side and Kingsport, Bloomingdale, and Lynn Garden on the other.  Weber City is all but surrounded by retail and its all in close proximity.  Those places practically touch now compared to years ago.   Although WC has grown in the last 30 years or so.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Great City said:

The deal with the income tax stuff:

Many GC graduates end up working in TN...........because that is where the jobs are located. If you work in TN and live in VA, you pay income tax in VA. If you work in TN and live in TN, you do not pay any income tax. (TN sticks it to you with the sales tax.) So........there are tons of "GC People" who end up moving to, and living in, TN. A lot of these parents prefer their kids go to school at GC, so they start their kids in elementary school in either Weber City or Shoemaker. In their minds, they get the best of both worlds.

Really.............the best of both worlds would be to live/work in TN, send your kids to GC if you prefer, and do as much shopping as possible in VA. Lots of those parents bringing their kids to WC or Shoemaker do their shopping at Food City/Food Lion. = tax revenue.

The school system is not "bringing in kids" to the system. The parents are choosing where they take their kids based on what they perceive to be their best deal. Just like you do when you go shop for a car.............get your best deal.

BTW......Weber City and Shoemaker will not accept TN kids if they run out of room and have to displace a VA kid.

Edited to add teacher salary info.

A lot of TN residents shop in VA and are taxed for it. I was born and raised in VA. Something I remember very well years ago when I was a Kid... Pay close attention.... the County was imposing a County Tax on Vehicles, that is that wonderful sticker with the Mountains they made us plaster in the Windshield. The County said that this was to be used to Build the Middle School and nothing else and they also said that once the School was built then they would take this Tax away. My Dad was furious so he went to a Meeting the County was having in Gate City, He took me along, I was very young, so I did not understand a lot of what was said in that Meeting but, one thing stood out clear as day.... My Dad (GOD Rest His Soul) finally stood up and said and I quote He said. "If you approve this Tax, it will NEVER go away. Years after the Middle School is finished you will continue taxing us forever." As I sit here today people over there are still paying this Tax. You will pay it until they have to rebuild that Middle School long after some of us are gone too. We including myself has paid for that School to be built 10 times. 

40 minutes ago, September said:

A lot of TN residents shop in VA and are taxed for it. 

Local school tax is generally on Personal Property not sales tax. So Tenn folks buying stuff in VA does not go toward the cost of non resadents going to school there. But as i said if the Scott County Tax payers don't have an issue with it then go for it