JI Burton vs Chilhowie

CHS90

This game will feature two of the best quarterbacks in 1A West.  This is also two teams that will likely see each other again in the playoffs.  JIB's Houston Thacker threw the ball 30 times against Union and expect more of the same Friday.   Chilhowie had a few breakdowns in the secondary last week against Marion but Robinson will clean that up.  

Chilhowie's QB Zack Cale was already quite the talent last season, but he may be the most improved player on the team this season.  His arm strength and accuracy are noticeably better over last year.  The uptick in confidence and poise is enabling him to see the field better while allowing plays to develop downfield.     

The Raiders are much improved over last season and should be able to hang with the Warriors for a while.  The quarterback play may be a toss-up but JIB cannot match the running game of Sanchez, Blevins and Company.   

Chilhowie 36

John Ira Burton 18 

From what I can gather Chilhowie seems to wear you down. They have running backs galore and those running backs will run over you instead of letting you tackle them.  This wears on you during the game and by the 4th quarter they are running untouched down the field. On tape the secondary looks very fast but do not turn around during coverage. Tough team and a tough out during the playoffs.

No question JI Burton and Chilhowie are both two good football teams. Both have played quality opponents, and did well. BOTH are athletic and well coached. JIB is probably bigger than Chilhowie, but CHS probably has more speed and depth. BOTH have very good skill players. Chilhowie plays a lot of people, with very few players going both on O and D, which is practically unheard of in 1A or maybe even in 2A. This game may be closer than expected.

Chilhowie 34 Burton 21.

21 hours ago, 24282 said:

I don't understand hoping a high school team looses by 60+.

I don't understand why you don't even put Bluefield in your top 10, let alone number 1.  But I hadn't called you out on it because you're entitled to your own opinion.  But now I will, since you deem to call me out for being a Burton hater.

So, where in the hell even is St. Charles, Va. anyway?  Sounds almost as remote as Rowe, Drill and Putnam are.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't understand why you don't even put Bluefield in your top 10, let alone number 1.  But I hadn't called you out on it because you're entitled to your own opinion.  But now I will, since you deem to call me out for being a Burton hater.

So, where in the hell even is St. Charles, Va. anyway?  Sounds almost as remote as Rowe, Drill and Putnam are.

It is. The only thing I know about St.Charles is a tale I heard that back before consolidation they were known as the Midgets. Well, guess what the elementary had on their jerseys....The Little Midgets. I find it very hard to believe but, if I am not messing it up, I got that on good account.

Also, if anyone doesn't think Bluefield is the legit #1 around here right now, I have the number to a few doctors that can examine your eyes, head, sanity....

I get that his or her lack of acknowledging this at this point is more than likely out of spite, but is that the hill you want to die on? It's only week 2.

44 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

North of Pennington Gap on 421 on the way to Harlan KY

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It is.  My great-grandmother lived there.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

St. Charles Mighty Midgets.  You can't make that kind of a thing up. 

Does it bother you that bad that I didn't put Buefield in my top ten?

If  I had included them they would not be #1.

How could you rank Ridgeview ahead of Chilhowie?

Didn't Chilhowie #1s handle the dumpster dogs  #1s pretty well in the benefit game?

1 hour ago, 24282 said:

Didn't Chilhowie #1s handle the dumpster dogs  #1s pretty well in the benefit game?

Can you at least give a reason why you think they are not the best team in the coverage area?

I'm a fan of neither Chilhowie or RV but, handling is what happened to Lee High at the Stone Castle. From all accounts, the 1's played each other fairly close in that "game".

I sat near the 50 yd line at the Ridgeview benefit game with Chilhowie. As I recall, the game was tied at 17 at half time. In the third quarter, Chilhowie scored on a 42 yd FG to make it 20-17 Chilhowie. Ridgeview got the ball and ran a series, but did not score. That was it as far as the first teams for the game. The 2's and 3's finished the game for both squads, with Ridgeview scoring 2 late TD's.  The Adkins kid for RV did not carry the ball but about 1or 2 times in that 3rd quarter. I think he got shook up before half, and RV limited his play in the 3rd qrt. It was a very well played game for both squads in my opinion. The coaches for both teams did a good job in directing the format for the second half. These two teams are very good, and about even imo. One thing for sure. Ridgeview could not stop Chilhowie's Sanchez, and Chilhowie had their hands full with the Adkins kid.  BOTH Blevins ( CHS ) and Sexton ( RV) did very well also. The QB's had a good game, and so did the D's. It was a benefit game, and all in attendance got the benefit of watching 2 good teams play.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, TwhscoachT said:

North of Pennington Gap on 421 on the way to Harlan KY

Ah, Ok.  I have passed through there on my one and only trip to the Harlan and Cumberland Food City stores then.  Guess there wasn't a sign telling me I was there.

22 hours ago, 24282 said:

Doesn't bother me at all pal... I'm just calling you out because you called me out.  I wouldn't call 17-17 a "handling" as you so put it.  Adkins was hurt in the second quarter of that game in came out to avoid further injury.  In my opinion if it was a real game situation, starters playing the whole game, Ridgeview wins, therefore they get the nod.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Ridgeview would beat Chilhowie by 21+. 

I like the thought, but I wouldn't go that far buddy... Lol

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ah, Ok.  I have passed through there on my one and only trip to the Harlan and Cumberland Food City stores then.  Guess there wasn't a sign telling me I was there.

Doesn't bother me at all pal... I'm just calling you out because you called me out.  I wouldn't call 17-17 a "handling" as you so put it.  Adkins was hurt in the second quarter of that game in came out to avoid further injury.  In my opinion if it was a real game situation, starters playing the whole game, Ridgeview wins, therefore they get the nod.

I like the thought, but I wouldn't go that far buddy... Lol

they would. Adkins only played like five snaps. If he plays entire game, CW can't stop him

St. Charles was a booming place many years ago when coal was king in our region.  Had a bank, a hot night spot, several stores and shops.  Most of the families there were attached to the coal mines, and the school was full of tough, hard nosed kids that loved to play football.  Not sure there is a sign that would tell you when you pass by, but in its hayday it was the place to be.  Yeah I'm older, but even in the early 70's when I worked in that area, the town was like a ghost of what it once was.

Chilhowie wins this one big time.

1 minute ago, Blue 72 said:

St. Charles was a booming place many years ago when coal was king in our region.  Had a bank, a hot night spot, several stores and shops.  Most of the families there were attached to the coal mines, and the school was full of tough, hard nosed kids that loved to play football.  Not sure there is a sign that would tell you when you pass by, but in its hayday it was the place to be.  Yeah I'm older, but even in the early 70's when I worked in that area, the town was like a ghost of what it once was.

Chilhowie wins this one big time.

Future of Appalachia, if not the present.