JI Burton vs Chilhowie

CHS90

On 8/31/2018 at 11:21 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Ah, Ok.  I have passed through there on my one and only trip to the Harlan and Cumberland Food City stores then.  Guess there wasn't a sign telling me I was there.

You passed by but not through...although you wouldn't have seen a lot, haha.  Not too far after you pass by Stone Face rock you'll come around a sharp left hand curve and go through an intersection passing by a couple of gas stations (one closed now), the road to the right (Rt. 352) takes you to St. Charles....the road dead ends at a mine.  They still have a clinic and an elementary school.  The school actually gets some high marks most years.  It used to remembered as a pretty rough place. There's not much people left there anymore to really have much going on...town council used to be one family..lol.  I don't think it even meets anymore, which has sparked discussion among the county as to what to do.  I remember marching in Christmas parades with the band...don't wear good uniforms on coal haul roads, even for a 5 minute walk, hahaha.