Gc south.

who?

Gc has a chance this game...south overrated.  And the worst gc team in school history should have won last year.  Maybe crazy, but if gc can limit unforced turnovers and overcome awful offense play calling they just may win one. 

This game has become a decent rivalry. Should have won it the last two years. Won't surprise me if it ends up coming down to the last play. South's defense doesn't seem great this year but neither is GCs offense. Would be nice to see the Devils come out in the T in this game. 

Going into last Friday I felt GC's most pressing issues were O line play, play calling, & QB play. After Friday I feel like line play & play calling have improved - although everyone in the stadium knew Akers would call something ridiculous & gift Abingdon with a turnover just before halftime. Anyway... Baby steps. 

Is it weird that GC has no medical staff whatsoever?? QB was obviously banged up our there.... 

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

And you will NEVER convince me that this is the result of a lack of talent. #68, #75, & #55 are all region caliber players. 

We need 55 back at full back. What little he run the ball against GW in the scrimmage was for good gains. I really wish we would line up in the T or I with him at fb. 

Aside from Union and Ridgeview, the Mountain 7 looks pitiful. GC is historically bad for their program, Wise is terrible, Lee just got smacked around by Burton, Battle isn't very good and Abingdon got pounded by Pulaski. Sad to see great programs like GC fall so far. 

don’t let the score fool you.  This was the weakest south team I  have ever seen. Gate City and the turnovers.......game after game.  Kids are playing hard i just wish things were different for their sake.  

11 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

GC will be in the playoffs next year & it will all be like a bad dream. Keep supporting the kids & D coordinator. 

IF Gate City makes the playoffs next season, it’ll be as a bottom seed, which will get trounced by a team like Union or Richlands in Round 1.  Making the playoffs in Region D isn’t a huge accomplishment, as teams with losing records do it routinely.

That being said, for the kids’ sake, that the situation improves.  Seems like a strong-willed group of kids.

Most programs begin and end with the peanut leagues, whatever the problems Gate City has begins there, travel ball and lack of kids coming out is where it starts , having a average /bad coach effects the turnout. Travis Turner pays attention to our peanut kids , same offense/ same defense as Union runs . Programs die from the bad roots just like trees, let the great former players get up off the couch and teach the young ones , everything else will fall into place

Akers ruined our little league...travel football is no good.  It focuses on too few kids.  Keep it in house.   At some point the little league needs some new blood running it also.    Gc is such a mess from top to bottom.  I truly believe it’s best days are behind it.  We are going to be average at best from here on out.  What would attract a good coach to gc?  Reed or houseright will go 5 and 5 for first 3 or 4 years and we as fans won’t accept that either.   Gc will be like any other program.  No consistency with coaching.  Change coaches every 5 or 6 years with one good year every 3 to 5 years. The deep playoff runs and contentions for state titles are done for the foreseeable future.  The school boards decision to hire Akers really hurt Gc not just for his tenure but for many years after he leaves at the end of this year.  Reed should have got job when Colobro left, if he failed then give it to houseright.  Bill or Jeremy.   They are one in the same anyway.  Jeremy would have stayed with reed because there is mutual respect there.  He left Akers after one year of that circus.  

Got to disagree. Travel ball does not get extra emphasis. Numbers are down in both. Most of the youth coaches I have talked to said they can tell a huge difference in the kids that play both little league and travel than the ones that play little league only. I think both can serve a great purpose with better organisation. The two are played too close together. The other teams in the travel league end their little league seasons when we begin ours.  They end up with several weeks to prepare their travel teams where we are scrambling to get teams, jerseys, and practice in a weeks time.  I think what would help getting interest up in little league and travel would be the head coach, players, and youth coaches visiting the elementary schools and get these kids interested in playing. All that happens right now is them sending signup forms to the schools. 

You may disagree with my opinion, however your argument cements that you agree that there needs some new leadership within the little league program as a whole.  Correct?

Little league didn't get cut short so travel ball could start. Little league got cut short dhe to numbers the Redskins had. The Redskins only had 6 players to compete on their varsity squad. They tried to play anyway with the JV moving up but they were getting murdered out there. One ended up moving to Rye Cove and the parents didn't want their smaller kids playing up against the bigger Varsity kids. That ended up bringing their Varsity season to an end and also causing little league to end a week earlier than it should have. 

29 minutes ago, who? said:

You may disagree with my opinion, however your argument cements that you agree that there needs some new leadership within the little league program as a whole.  Correct?

I should have worded it better. I disagree on your opinion of travel ball. I agree with the rest. I think little league and travel should be run by a board of little league coaches and everything voted on.