Non-SWVA related but interesting

RichlandsAlum

Staunton River fires head coach two weeks into the season.  Poor folks in Moneta apparently aren't familiar with the term anomaly.  (As in, "Your performance during the last two seasons under Poston was an anomaly.  You can go back to sucking pretty badly now.")

Fear the Wing -- or the Principal and AD (as the case may be)

Or the parents from what my buddy down that way told me

Said parents thought their kids were practicing too hard and the parents didn't like when their kid was moved to another position.

So they bitch and complain and the coach is gone...pathetic and I hope they go 0-10 like they use to before overstreet and company came along

35 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Staunton River fires head coach two weeks into the season.  Poor folks in Moneta apparently aren't familiar with the term anomaly.  (As in, "Your performance during the last two seasons under Poston was an anomaly.  You can go back to sucking pretty badly now.")

Fear the Wing -- or the Principal and AD (as the case may be)

Well.  I guess there is that.

I was talking to a friend about this earlier.  He is an AD at another school in that general area.  He said parents were pulling their kids from practice and making them quit because the coach was being too hard on them.  If that's the case, the parents will get what they deserve watching the program go back to being an afterthought.  Too bad for the kids though.  The past couple of seasons have shown what that school can do with the right attitude and motivation.

Dixon can be a bit much at times and his ego is the size of Texas.  Show me someone with his successful track record, both as a coach and player, that isn't.  But stories like this make me appreciate how the Galax community has bought into his philosophy and have supported the program as much as possible.  After all, Galax and Staunton River have virtually the same athletic history prior to Dixon and Poston.  Which is none at all!   

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Or the parents from what my buddy down that way told me

Said parents thought their kids were practicing too hard and the parents didn't like when their kid was moved to another position.

So they bitch and complain and the coach is gone...pathetic and I hope they go 0-10 like they use to before overstreet and company came along

All familiar story even in our area, parents ruin high school sports sometimes. They want a feel good, pat on the back, it's about my child kind of coach. What ever happened to coaching players UP? 

Sounds like Poston could be a good candidate for the Gate City HC position.  From what I've read from some of the GC faithful they could use a change, and I doubt that Poston is any more tougher on players than Harry Fry use to be, might be something to think about.

One of my son's best friends is on staff at SR. From what I've been told there is more to the story than what is being reported and there is blame to be shared all around. When they came to Martinsville for a scrimmage with us and Gretna they had between 55- 60 kids dressed out for the varsity and some of the coaches were talking about how many new helmets they had to buy because the numbers were so good on the jv and varsity teams. From what I understand they've had 25-26 kids quit in the last week or so. Are parents a problem, sure they are, but with that many kids quitting there must be other problems also. Just stating what was told me coming from someone inside the program.

Cormany (basketball) is a real a$$ at Radford but he wins. Coaches these days seem as tho if they ain't buddy buddy with the players they will get the boot. Growing up a coach was never friends with any player at least where I'm from. Kids and parents need to suck it up cause football is a tough sport, and if the kid ain't tough he gets hurt. With that said I think he can find another gig pretty soon. Good coaches are hard to come buy these days.

4 hours ago, RCITYHOO said:

Cormany (basketball) is a real a$$ at Radford but he wins. Coaches these days seem as tho if they ain't buddy buddy with the players they will get the boot. Growing up a coach was never friends with any player at least where I'm from. Kids and parents need to suck it up cause football is a tough sport, and if the kid ain't tough he gets hurt. With that said I think he can find another gig pretty soon. Good coaches are hard to come buy these days.

I played for Cormany at Grayson. Your opening statement couldn’t be more factual!