Wise-Central @ Virginia High

Bearcat Dad

What are everyone's thoughts on this one? The only thing I've heard about Wise is that they are young.

I do know that the Bearcats are believed in by some and doubted by others, but rightfully so. I've said all along that they have as good as starting lineup as anybody in Region D, and have been proven right so far. I've also said they they have little to no depth and I have been proven right on that as well. The Bearcats have started off somewhat inconsistent, but showed what they are capable of at the Stone Castle on Friday night against, in my opinion, the best team Tennessee High has had in years. 

The VHS offense is scoring 26 points a game, even with having scored 7 or fewer points in 3 out of the 6 halves of football played, while desperately trying to develop depth, before they hit the meat of their schedule. Their go to RB is averaging over 10 ypc thru 3 games. Their QB hasn't hit his full stride yet, but he will. 

The defense is progressing. Some new pieces are starting to get used to the speed of Varsity football. 

The big concern about the Bearcats is will they be able to continue to develop depth with their youngsters, to give the 9 players that start both ways, some help.

20 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Any analysis from the game? It seemed like VA High May have struggled more than expected 

Yeah, once again, the Bearcats jump out to a quick lead and kinda just went into Cruise Control.

Tonight VHS scored 2 TDs in their first 5 plays on offense. They looked a little flat the rest of the way.

Coaches also gave a lot of playing time to some youngsters, in an attempt to try and build depth. Depth seems to definitely be the Achilles Heel for the Bearcats. The freshman RB ran the ball pretty well tonight. The passing game is still inconsistent. The Bearcat O-line did not have their best game tonight. Credit to Wise for not giving up.

Week 1, they jump out to a 30-7 lead, early in the 2nd quarter, and nearly blow it. Week 2, they have a similar game plan to tonight in trying to build depth, but made adjustments to have a productive 2nd half. Last week, they were within one score and had the ball with 9 minutes left, but ran out of gas, against the best team they'll see all season.

Overall, VHS shows flashes of greatness, but have yet to put together 4 full quarters of consistent play. They have the bye next week, then have a tough 3 game stretch. For their sake, they had better get that worked out.

There have been a couple of players that have had great starts to the season, but there's just been too much overall inconsistency by the majority of the team.

From a Central perspective we felt like if we caught a couple of breaks we could win this game. We needed one or two more big breaks. The pick 6 hurt us and the slow (shell shocked) start hurt us. Other than that, we grew up a ton during this game. It would have certainly done more for us to win, but to keep it close like that and not give up, that was huge for our young guys. Many times we have 6 or 7 freshmen out there on the field with a few sophomores and an upperclassmen or two.

VHS is a good team, and they have several studs who are as advertised. It was a clean well played game on both sides.

13 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Is Chandler Davis on the VHS staff?  I had heard he was coaching but assumed he was an assistant on the baseball team. 

Yeah, he's coaching the wide receivers. I'm pretty sure he will be on Mark's staff in the spring, as well.