Union at GC

trumpet1988

Great opportunity for Union's young kids & reserves to get reps. GC players were jawing at each other after every play - and in a lot of cases, I don't blame them. When lineman just stand & watch, I'd be upset, too. If only there was an adult present whose job it was to teach football skills & fundamentals... We are through the Looking Glass in GC. 

The Ridgeview game pointed out some real drawbacks to the full House backfield, stacked box and stunt linebackers, the week before Letcher flew theirs outside denying the jet sweep. A more diverse offense should include Jenkins as a wideout, backs could be Stidham, Polier, and Garrant , give Bailey several options instead of two . Travis should also throw to the tight end out of the full House it will be wide open as it was at Ridgeview . 

Or just get the other receivers to run routes instead of jogging off the ball. On 4 plays at Ridgeview, one that went to garrison and one to Rasnick on the far side of the field, only those 2 players ran routes, the other receivers jogged off the ball and bumped somebody and then quit.

I like the T formation, but you have to be more creative with it when you have 9 stacked in the box and the other team daring you to throw it. Giza and Falin both are big and tall, learn to run some plays to the tight ends, or some passes out in the flats. 

Definitely need to work on the spread this week and fine tune it, because if Union ever gets done and needs to score quick, they are in trouble and that showed at Ridgeview,

I personally think it should be a game to work on a lot of fine tuning as we head for the down slope of the season......good luck to both teams and hope both come away with a clean game and no injuries.

I agree with BBN. IMO, the problem with Union’s passing game is they go to those bubble screens primarily and when they do try to go down field it’s always to the sideline and most of the time the ball is going to a predetermined spot, there’s not much reading or options. Which is why other  receivers aren’t running routes, it’s because they don’t have one. I said in a different post that I’d love to see them get #10 and #80 working across the middle or at least to the post. 

This week would be a great time to sort some of that out. I’d love to see them put Turner in the shotgun, go 3 wide with #10, #80 and #87 keep #3 at TE and throw it 30 times. Probably be impressed with what could happen. 

Coach Turner isn’t one to run it up on anybody and I’d bet we’ll see mostly T again.  I say Union 38-7. 

The T works....until it doesn't. Just like Giles and the single wing. Typically, the misdirection and constant beating wins games, but when you face a team that isn't fooled and can take the beating, you're in trouble.

We have to be more diverse. Doesn't necessarily mean a new formation or offensive philosophy. We just need to be less predictable. Have to mix things up with more passing and keep teams on their toes.

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

The T works....until it doesn't. Just like Giles and the single wing. Typically, the misdirection and constant beating wins games, but when you face a team that isn't fooled and can take the beating, you're in trouble.

We have to be more diverse. Doesn't necessarily mean a new formation or offensive philosophy. We just need to be less predictable. Have to mix things up with more passing and keep teams on their toes.

Well said... less predictable nails it. 

That's why I like PA passes out of the T. It can catch a D off guard.

and in the spread, RUN THE SPREAD! Lol. Run different routes, have four people running routes. Rarely do I see many slants, in routes, posts, etc..  It's all corner routes and streaks

19 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

I agree with BBN. IMO, the problem with Union’s passing game is they go to those bubble screens primarily and when they do try to go down field it’s always to the sideline and most of the time the ball is going to a predetermined spot, there’s not much reading or options. Which is why other  receivers aren’t running routes, it’s because they don’t have one. I said in a different post that I’d love to see them get #10 and #80 working across the middle or at least to the post. 

This week would be a great time to sort some of that out. I’d love to see them put Turner in the shotgun, go 3 wide with #10, #80 and #87 keep #3 at TE and throw it 30 times. Probably be impressed with what could happen. 

Coach Turner isn’t one to run it up on anybody and I’d bet we’ll see mostly T again.  I say Union 38-7. 

Good luck hoping for a slant pass we've been screaming that for 5 years.  We only use about 2 pass plays and he's not gonna change it

I'll say this about Union,the fans are very passionate. I'm impressed. Heck yall lose one game and you're ready to scrap the entire offense. I'm kidding. At Graham we have been running the same 2014 version of Madden for 4 years now and our fan base is quiet as a mouse. Lol. 

2 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

Oh we are thankful. Most teams would give anything for an 8 year stretch like Union has had. I think we all just see this team, like others before, aren’t reaching their potential. 

My only worry is that we saw our potential. Maybe this is just as good as Union can be this year, 8-2, maybe 9-1, and maybe get hot and win a couple playoff games.

RV was basically sending nine guys all night, if we can't develop more of a diverse passing attack (and that is no knock on any player or coach), teams now have a blueprint to beat us. 

16 hours ago, 99Bama said:

I'll say this about Union,the fans are very passionate. I'm impressed. Heck yall lose one game and you're ready to scrap the entire offense. I'm kidding. At Graham we have been running the same 2014 version of Madden for 4 years now and our fan base is quiet as a mouse. Lol. 

I’ve said for 3 years now that we have the Jimmies and Joes but not Xs and Os.  Hard to fire a coach that perennially goes 8-2 and gets to the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs, especially with the two that came before.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve said for 3 years now that we have the Jimmies and Joes but not Xs and Os.  Hard to fire a coach that perennially goes 8-2 and gets to the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs, especially with the two that came before.

I agree 100%. I personally think he needs to keep Rex and tell the rest their services are no longer needed. 

Wow scrap the offense and fire the whole staff. Are we talking about Union or GC here? I guess the next thing is to start a petition and get Phil back on the sidelines. Reed is going to save GC and maybe Phil can save Union from going 8-2 or better every year. I personally think you have one of the best Head coaches in SWVA. 

On 9/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, BigWinners said:

That's why I like PA passes out of the T. It can catch a D off guard.

and in the spread, RUN THE SPREAD! Lol. Run different routes, have four people running routes. Rarely do I see many slants, in routes, posts, etc..  It's all corner routes and streaks

As long as #43 is getting chunks on his off tackle carries, the PA off those would be tough to defend and is an easy pass to complete.  Just run flags with both TEs...that is a staple of most T Formation offenses.  Union hardly uses it, if ever.  The addition of the counter toss off the FB dive would be nice, too.  Both of 'em gain big yards if the D isn't honest.