Richlands at William Byrd

#1BLUESFAN

How do you guys see this one playing out.The blues play a undefeated 4a team for the 2nd straight week.I think the blues will do a lot better this week than last..its gonna be a tough one for the blues bit don't think there as good as Blacksburg.

Byrd no longer has their Superman (Larry Basham), but they're still a 4A school with some talent. I'll take the Terriers by 14

Speaking of which, does anyone know where Basham ended up this year? He was an outstanding high school RB and could have definitely played at least D2

2 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Byrd no longer has their Superman (Larry Basham), but they're still a 4A school with some talent. I'll take the Terriers by 14

Speaking of which, does anyone know where Basham ended up this year? He was an outstanding high school RB and could have definitely played at least D2

He didn’t even finish the season last year. He was kicked off the team either the week after or 2 weeks after they played the Blues. 

Apparently had some major discipline issues. Not sure where he ended up, but I’d assume that’s a big red flag to college coaches. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

He didn’t even finish the season last year. He was kicked off the team either the week after or 2 weeks after they played the Blues. 

Apparently had some major discipline issues. Not sure where he ended up, but I’d assume that’s a big red flag to college coaches. 

He was brought back on the team though after that...but I heard he quit school right after football season..don't know how much truth is in that though..

Very talented but heard he was a head case

This is another character building game for the Blues.  Hope no one gets injured and the Blues can learn from tough competition.  This should make the next game with Bluefield all the more interesting, could be a good one.  Hate to, but have to, William Byrd 28  Blues 14

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

He did return to the team and did graduate.  Head case for sure but heckuva talent.  Heard Byrd has twins that are getting a lot of attention from Davidson/ETSU and a few D-IIs.  One plays the line the other is a RB or LB I think.  This one will be closer than most think.  Byrd does not get a lot of bodies out for football.

6 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I agree I think it's closer than a lot think...I think richlands may win

I don’t see it, but if you’re right (and I hope you are) that a MAJOR points haul for Richlands. 

I know their 4-0 record speaks volumes, but can anyone tell us a little more about William Byrd?  Has anyone seen them play?  does anyone know their offense set-up? Are they a passing or running team, and last but not least, how is their offense against the pass?

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

I know their 4-0 record speaks volumes, but can anyone tell us a little more about William Byrd?  Has anyone seen them play?  does anyone know their offense set-up? Are they a passing or running team, and last but not least, how is their offense against the pass?

From I hear they have a good running back again. He was leading the Timesland in rushing.

Saw them against Martinsville last week. I'm sure they didn't show much against the Dogs since they are not very good this year. Everything for them on offense runs thru the QB. He's not big but is a very tough runner. Also have a fullback who is very physical and also a load at lb. Their line is very good, not overly big but very strong. Didn't throw much because they didn't have to, but the qb had a pretty good arm. Numbers are down at Byrd this year, didn't dress but about 38 kids and they don't have a jv team. Talking to some of the kids on the sidelines, they sure respect the heck out of Richlands and are looking for a very tough test Friday. Oh by the way, a couple of kids told me Basham was at Va. Western Comm. College and wasn't highly thought of as a teammate, just what they said for what it's worth. Beat the Dogs 41-6, coulda been alot worse if they had wanted it to be. Very well coached and were very disciplined 

18 hours ago, pdfan said:

Saw them against Martinsville last week. I'm sure they didn't show much against the Dogs since they are not very good this year. Everything for them on offense runs thru the QB. He's not big but is a very tough runner. Also have a fullback who is very physical and also a load at lb. Their line is very good, not overly big but very strong. Didn't throw much because they didn't have to, but the qb had a pretty good arm. Numbers are down at Byrd this year, didn't dress but about 38 kids and they don't have a jv team. Talking to some of the kids on the sidelines, they sure respect the heck out of Richlands and are looking for a very tough test Friday. Oh by the way, a couple of kids told me Basham was at Va. Western Comm. College and wasn't highly thought of as a teammate, just what they said for what it's worth. Beat the Dogs 41-6, coulda been alot worse if they had wanted it to be. Very well coached and were very disciplined 

So if they have a total of 38 players on the team, does that mean they play a lot of guys both ways, and if it does, do you think this may be a factor late in the game.  I think this may be a tight game, and like so many others from Blues land, we would love a win, but in reality we know how tough it will be.

They played some both ways but not too many. But of course this could have been because who they were playing. I was impressed with Byrd as far as how hard they played and how focused they were. Just kind of a taking care of business attitude. Not going to wow you with athletes but are just hard nose football players. If Richlands can control the line of scrimmage on both sides, they will win. 

2 hours ago, pdfan said:

They played some both ways but not too many. But of course this could have been because who they were playing. I was impressed with Byrd as far as how hard they played and how focused they were. Just kind of a taking care of business attitude. Not going to wow you with athletes but are just hard nose football players. If Richlands can control the line of scrimmage on both sides, they will win. 

From what you have said, this could be a very interesting game.  Last year the Blues played WB tough until Basham went on a tare late in the game, so maybe it will play out different this time.  I know the Blues will give it their all for four quarters, and I imagine WB will also.  Go Blues!!!

Man what a fun game to watch. Both teams would march down the field and score at will and then go cold for long stretches. But it seemed like each time Byrd scored, Richlands answered. 

I kept telling the wife that if we could get ahead there at the end Byrd would have to start passing and we’d be able to pull it out. Their QB Dantzler is an amazing athlete, but he is a far superior runner. 

Really proud of the Blues to take this game. Horn comes back (not even close to 100%) and has a 7 catch, 184 yard and 3 TD performance. Forrrst with two 4th quarter FG including a 48 yarder that ties R. Strong for the longest in school history. 

MAJOR points haul right there. If they Blues were to win out after Bluefield (Big if), they would be 7-3 and have some nice wins and maybe be a top 4 seed. 

But there’s a lot of ball to play. Either way, proud of the boys. 

On to the buzzsaw that is Bluefield....