Springs. Cove. Gc

who?

Consolidation?   Won’t be competitive in the future unless we do.   Union. Ridgeview.  Sullivan county.   We Just getting farther and farther behind.   Not just talking sports either.  Springs should get rid of football.  They say cove better.  But still only one win.  GC is embarrassing.   

3 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

The bad, the ugly, and the worst. Who is who is up to you. Consolidation will never happen. 

Never say never...but be careful what you wish for...

The only issue is, if all Scott Co. schools consolidated, you would have over 1100 students in one school...talk about being non-competitive, you wouldn't stand a chance with the schools in the Roanoke Valley...

As a teacher, you don't just consolidate just because of bad football. Scott county still ranks in the top 20 as far as test scores in the state. Sports are important, but they should never drive consolidation, economics and the potential to offer better academics for all students should. 

It's all a cycle, eventually the football teams in Scott county will improve. Until then support your kids, they deserve it. 

5 hours ago, Pioneer pride said:

As a teacher, you don't just consolidate just because of bad football. Scott county still ranks in the top 20 as far as test scores in the state. Sports are important, but they should never drive consolidation, economics and the potential to offer better academics for all students should. 

It's all a cycle, eventually the football teams in Scott county will improve. Until then support your kids, they deserve it. 

It IS NOT a cycle. It is INCOMPETENCE on a heretofore unseen level: the majority of the school board, the AD who actively tried to subvert the program for Houseright’s last 4 years, a Little League program in complete disarray, 

and Chris Akers; the Worst Head Football Coach in Virginia. 

We need to absolve the kids of all responsibility for this ongoing humiliation. We can not expect children to guide themselves. 

I'm sorry, but football is just a sport, it's not everything. I have issues with school systems that give athletics too much importance. I love sports, don't get me wrong but it shouldn't drive academics. In Gate City's case, it sounds like a mess, which is sad. That being said you have a group of kids who seem stronger in other sports, it happens. Your state basketball title speaks for that.  Eventually you will get another group of good football players. Even though it's tough to see, Gate City has had it's fair share and then some of success in football. Most schools would dream to have your legacy, be thankful that you have that history. 

56 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

It IS NOT a cycle. It is INCOMPETENCE on heretofore unseen level: the majority of the school board, the AD who actively tried to subvert the program for Houseright’s last 4 years, a Little League program in complete disarray, 

and Chris Akers; the Worst Head Football Coach in Virginia. 

We need to absolve the kids of all responsibility for this ongoing humiliation. We can not expect children to guide themselves. 

What are you doing today? A good use of your time would be to volunteer for the Gate City little league 

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

What are you doing today? A good use of your time would be to volunteer for the Gate City little league 

Little League season is over. It ended early due to one team folding - a first in GCLL’s 60 year history. It’s an astronomical coincidence that these issues keep popping up.

And this is a public forum about high school football. We all understand, appreciate, & prioritize academics first, But this is not swvaacademics.com. 

15 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Little League season is over. It ended early due to one team folding - a first in GCLL’s 60 year history. It’s an astronomical coincidence that these issues keep popping up.

And this is a public forum about high school football. We all understand, appreciate, & prioritize academics first, But this is not swvaacademics.com. 

What are you doing personally to better the situation that you clearly feel is inadequate for your community?

39 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Be that as it may, as much as we enjoy football and spectating, we must realize that this is high school football and these are students. School board decisions must be made for the benefit of educating the students.

Someone said that Scott County football wouldn’t be competitive until consolidation happened. Consolidation may be necessary in the future for various reasons and making a football team competitive should not be a reason. Just like many people from Appalachia had to be reminded that an argument against consolidation should not be because of a football team. 

Both BSG and Appalachia benefitted nicely. Consolidation in Wise County was needed. Without it the school system would be in worse shape than it is now. 

4 hours ago, EH31 said:

What are you doing personally to better the situation that you clearly feel is inadequate for your community?

I pay $6 a pop to go see The Akers & Roberts Flying Circus every Friday night, & that’s all I’ll do until the January board meeting. My recent posts have been a reaction to folks who presuppose GC is having a downward turn in regard to talent. This nonsense has even made its way into predictions from local media outlets, and its not fair that the kids have to see that. I will praise whoeve makes the decisions there for bringing Reed home. When they hire Coach Reed in January, I will personally buy a new package of lightbulbs for the scoreboard. 

4 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I pay $6 a pop to go see The Akers & Roberts Flying Circus every Friday night, & that’s all I’ll do until the January board meeting. My recent posts have been a reaction to folks who presuppose GC is having a downward turn in regard to talent. This nonsense has even made its way into predictions from local media outlets, and its not fair that the kids have to see that. I will praise whoeve makes the decisions there for bringing Reed home. When they hire Coach Reed in January, I will personally buy a new package of lightbulbs for the scoreboard. 

So, nothing. Ok. 

42 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Gate City is capable of winning certain games. Unfortunately the coaching may prevent it. 

I honestly believe they aren't as far off as most.  I'm not saying next year but also not like five either.   It will take the right coach to get the players to buy in and put in the work during the offseason.  They play too soft and most of them arm tackle and rarely go in for a big hit.

1 hour ago, Hokie101 said:

Haha I love this.  It was embarrassing to see so many bulbs out like that.

Cheap LED bulbs are bad for that. I bought some to put in my camper and have the same problem. 

49 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Those lightbulbs worked just fine in the Rural Retreat scoreboard. I think the real issue is that our scoreboard simply isn’t as talented as in years past - & that’s not even factoring in overall downward trends in lightbulb participation. 

Have you voiced your opinion to anyone in the Gate City/Scott County areas that make decisions? 

Do you need me to print your posts and mail them to the school board? 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Have you voiced your opinion to anyone in the Gate City/Scott County areas that make decisions? 

Do you need me to print your posts and mail them to the school board? 

You can print my posts, wad them up, and stuff them up your ***, for all I care. 

8 hours ago, Grapeape said:

You can print my posts, wad them up, and stuff them up your ***, for all I care. 

You are part of the problem in Gate City, Va. constantly out here making up excuses about coaching and how Akers and his staff are a cancer. 

The. Talent. Is. Not. There. 

Those kids bust their tails, and so do the coaches, to try and get a win on Friday nights. They don’t give up, which is more than you can say. You’ve given up on your team and town. 

EH31 is trying to make a point to you, and all you’ve done is make more excuses, and now came at him with a 12 year old’s version of a keyboard warrior threat. 

Wake up and see that there are about 10 circumstances that have led GC to what it is right now. 

Mac McClung is 100% near the top of that list. He made basketball cooler than football. Kids want to be Mac. There’s the issue with your little league. They don’t want to play football anymore because McClung make GC great at basketball. 

If you feel like you have all the answers, and you talk on here enough like you think you do, then go fix the problem. Volunteer to coach at any level. Go talk to school board members if you feel that strongly that you have a case. 

Otherwise, just shut up and stop spewing crap everywhere for anyone who will take the time to read on here. 

The world doesn’t revolve around Gate City football, man. It’s so much bigger than that.