Springs. Cove. Gc

who?

I will say this, one team in Scott County should be very good in the near future.  It is the only program growing from the bottom up and has been for the last 3-4 years.  Those kids who have been a part of that growth are about to start hitting the HS.  I like to see every program around be as successful as possible, but it all starts from the bottom with what feeds them.  It was part of what made GC what it was for years.  Unfortunately for them it appears to be the case today also but in the other direction.  

I do know this much. No amount of complaining on an internet message board will help the situation. Each member of the school board has an email address. Not all of them will reply to you but there are a couple that will. Our youth football program numbers are down and part of that blame is on basketball. Not saying it as a negative. Just shows the great job our basketball coach has done over the years. Throw in the social media sensation we had the past few years on top of that. 

One of the things I try to do is talk to parents in my community about bringing their kids out to play football for our little league and travel ball program. Once in awhile I get one talked into it. For the most part parents I've talked to would rather their kids play any sport besides football no matter how much the child wants to play. 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

I do know this much. No amount of complaining on an internet message board will help the situation. Each member of the school board has an email address. Not all of them will reply to you but there are a couple that will. Our youth football program numbers are down and part of that blame is on basketball. Not saying it as a negative. Just shows the great job our basketball coach has done over the years. Throw in the social media sensation we had the past few years on top of that. 

One of the things I try to do is talk to parents in my community about bringing their kids out to play football for our little league and travel ball program. Once in awhile I get one talked into it. For the most part parents I've talked to would rather their kids play any sport besides football no matter how much the child wants to play. 

Hey @Grapeape, take some notes from @Jason, who seems to be actively taking interest in the betterment of his community. Good job, Jason!

Grapeape and Jason are both correct in their observations.  Both want better.  Both see truth.  If we could get those two together and run for school board and then we could get something done....not just talking football either.   Anybody not from gc really understands how bad it is.   

2 minutes ago, who? said:

Grapeape and Jason are both correct in their observations.  Both want better.  Both see truth.  If we could get those two together and run for school board and then we could get something done....not just talking football either.   Anybody not from gc really understands how bad it is.   

I like the board member in my district. I do plan on being active in next years school board elections. A couple things need to be done at the high school that are not sport related in my opinion. Just hope we can get someone worth running in some of the other districts.

23 minutes ago, who? said:

The only difference is one is actively trying to better the situation for the community and the person is only complaining on a message board and telling people to get off his lawn.

If that’s who you think should run for school board then that makes me glad I do not live in Scott County. 

12 hours ago, Grapeape said:

You can print my posts, wad them up, and stuff them up your ***, for all I care. 

Gate City is in this CYCLE for a myriad of reasons. 

Lack of talent is one. I am certain the players try. I feel bad for them for all of this. 

Incompetent coaching is another. 

Quit expecting them to automatically be dominant again IF Reed gets the job. It is going to take time. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

For the most part parents I've talked to would rather their kids play any sport besides football no matter how much the child wants to play. 

Is this because they think football is dangerous or the overall direction of the program from LL to varsity?

Or something else?

And keep hanging in there. It takes people like you to volunteer their time for any program to work, football or otherwise. 

When you been da best fo so long Americas Team or SWVas team or whatever.  When dat empire falls the people revolt. Just ask Rome, da Dallas Cowboys or da Vol fans. Vols were #1 one time too.

We Hokie fans in Radford but we neva had anything so we cant complain. LOL. 

Sum peeps forget its jus high school football. 

To your point Ryan4VT if you want change be da change you want to see. Correct dude?

And you a Hokie fan I guess Ryan?  I watched the game yesterday. Tuuuurible. Tuuuurible. Gotta have dat focus eva game.

The decline of GC football started way before Mac could slam a ball through a hoop. The decline started when Mac was still a 5’11 sophomore that was playing football. The problem isn’t that the talent has disappeared from GC. But that the talent is playing other sports. I do agree with that. Some kids on those basketball, soccer, and baseball teams could help the football team out. But they don’t want to play for the coach and focus on a single sport. The world of single sport athletes has taken over and swva as a whole is feeling that. Mac, Zac, Dean, and Compton (all 4 will be playing D1 basketball and baseball) would of helped on the football field. 10-15 years ago, those kids would’ve played football too. It’s just changed, a kid has a shot at a free education through their primary sport, hard to blame them for that. 

I can somewhat sympathize with the frustration of some the the Gate City faithful. I don't know how closely tied to the program Grapeape or others are. My question is whether you are a parent, die hard fan, former coach or whatever the case may be. How do you detach yourself from becoming so "emotional" when things aren't reaching their potential? I'll be the first to admit, I struggle with it. It's to the point for myself I'm not sure I can attend many more games because of getting so pissed off. Lol.  Yes, I do have kids that play and yes I have help coach several years in the midget leagues. 

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Is this because they think football is dangerous or the overall direction of the program from LL to varsity?

Or something else?

And keep hanging in there. It takes people like you to volunteer their time for any program to work, football or otherwise. 

It's risk of injury. Mostly mothers making that decision. 

I don't volunteer as much as I should. I don't go out and actively recruit the players but when speaking with parents that have little league age kids I try to talk them into letting them play. For the ones that live close to me I even offer to give them rides to practice. 

Also speaking of support of little league. The GC Junior Devils traveled to Lee yesterday. Lee is supporting their youth teams from top to bottom. Lee High School treats those kids the same as they do the high school team. They inflate the helmet for them to run out of while the cannon blasts. Even after each TD the cannon goes off. The community seems to be behind them all the way as well. It shows as well. The 3 teams they field can easily field 6 teams with the numbers they have. I really enjoyed my trip over to Lee yesterday. That is the support that not only we need at GC but other youth teams need as well. 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

It's risk of injury. Mostly mothers making that decision. 

And because of this you will see football decline even more. Not just at GC or in SWVA. The risk of concussions and the media attention it has gotten are worrying parents, and rightly so. And football is pointed out as the culprit not the other sports.