Virginia High @ Chilhowie

Bearcat Dad

Let me start by saying that mine and my family’s thoughts and prayers are with the entire Chilhowie community over the recent, tragic news of the loss of one of their own. 

On a much less important note, there is a high profile football game to be played on Friday night. Last year’s game saw the Bearcats give the Warriors their worst loss of the regular season. Both teams return a high number of players from that game and are a combined 8-1 this year.

Emotions will run high for a number of reasons Friday night. I expect a hard fought game from both teams. I feel the Bearcats have what most 1A programs don’t have, to allow them to match up with Chilhowie; speed.

I see this game being close through 3 quarters, but I believe the power aspect of the VHS running game will eventually take its toll on the Warriors.

VHS - 34

Chilhowie - 19

Good luck to the Chilhowie players and God be with the entire community thru this difficult time.

With respect to VHS, which is a very talented team I don't think the running game will hurt the Warriors. They have depth to keep the defense fresh somewhat. Both teams have talent all over the field on both sides of the ball. I think this will be a very memorable game. I also think it will be super tight but the Warriors will be helped with home field advantage. 

CHS 31

VHS 21

I've praised this Chilhowie team while simultaneously stating something intangible was missing.  I had predicted this team would be 12-1 when they met Galax in the state semis, with the one loss coming against the talented Bearcats.  After the George Wythe win, I felt the Warriors had finally matured into the dominate team we've been waiting to see. That's what now makes this team remarkably better than last year's version.   Chilhowie has avenged their 2017 losses to Marion and GW.  If they guard against overconfidence, they can also payback the Cats. Depth should be the difference in this one.

Chilhowie 33 Virginia High 28

Let me have the Cats in an upset - VA High has played in close games all year, Chilhowie’s combined opponent record is 7-16 and they haven’t been tested. We are forgetting VA High only trailed 5A Tennessee by 7 going into the 4th quarter plus they are coming off a bye. Should be a close one - I think we have another shootout with a big special teams play by VA High being the difference:

Cats 38 Warriors 30

this will be the second WCYB Game Night VA High has been a part of - will the game be broadcast on tv? If not how can someone keep up?

I haven't seen Chilhowie in person, but have seen a little film. The warriors haven't played a difficult schedule, but they have beaten those teams convincingly. GW looked impressive when they absolutely manhandled GC in a scrimmage, but didn't fare so well against the Warriors. This will be Chilhowie's toughest game to date.

Tennessee High is 4A equivalent in Virginia and only about 60 kids from being 3A. Va High played them well, but that's also a rivalry game and sometimes those don't shake out in reality like they should on paper. Tenn High has won a game they probably shouldn't and lost a game they probably shouldn't. Hard to judge where they're at, so that makes it difficult to gauge their challenge to Va High.

Va High has probably seen a more diverse collection of teams and players to this point. This is a really difficult game to pick.

I believe with the right bounce here or there this is anyone's game. Assuming an error free game on both sides, Chilhowie takes this one 35-21.

55 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I hope the Bearcats win so we can finally take the top spot in the WCYB poll, but I think Chilhowie wins.  Sorry @Bearcat Dad😞

Hey brother, no sweat! Most people outside of this matchup will take Chilhowie, and rightfully so! 

The senior classes of these two teams started dominating the area when they were in 8th grade. Both schools tried to work out a game at the end of the year back then, but it couldn’t be done. This will be the fourth year in a row that these groups have done battle. VHS won in 2015, Chilhowie got payback in 2016, and we won last year. It has quietly become a great rivalry, with playmakers all over the field for both sides. 

The region as a whole usually doesn’t expect much out of either team, historically speaking. VHS opened some eyes last year, and they honestly do have a better starting lineup than they did last year. Chilhowie took the “eye opening” even further with their kick ass season that they had.

Speaking as a football fan, and not a dad of one of the players in this rivalry, I would expect this to be one of the best football games played in SWVA all season.

Of course, it is high school, so we may go up there and get our asses handed to us, but I’m betting that the game will not be one-sided, as some feel.

9 hours ago, VaBearcat88 said:

Let me have the Cats in an upset - VA High has played in close games all year, Chilhowie’s combined opponent record is 7-16 and they haven’t been tested. We are forgetting VA High only trailed 5A Tennessee by 7 going into the 4th quarter plus they are coming off a bye. Should be a close one - I think we have another shootout with a big special teams play by VA High being the difference:

Cats 38 Warriors 30

this will be the second WCYB Game Night VA High has been a part of - will the game be broadcast on tv? If not how can someone keep up?

No. It won't be broadcast. We only broadcast the one game this year. There may still be another broadcast coming, but it would not be a VA game. 

9 hours ago, VaBearcat88 said:

@swva_havok_fan don’t know if I would want to be the top of WCYB poll, they are always wrong lol

While I don't agree with Casey for putting Chilhowie number 1 (and I work with him), I understand his logic. They are undefeated and brought back literally everything you can from a state title appearance team last year. It's hard to argue against them. 

37 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

No. It won't be broadcast. We only broadcast the one game this year. There may still be another broadcast coming, but it would not be a VA game. 

While I don't agree with Casey for putting Chilhowie number 1 (and I work with him), I understand his logic. They are undefeated and brought back literally everything you can from a state title appearance team last year. It's hard to argue against them. 

I don’t think it is hard to argue with him. There are several teams in the region that can beat 1A Chilhowie. Do they deserve top 5, yes, but 1 come on Goetz?