Union @ Morristown West

Unionguy_2017

I really don’t know what to make of Morristown West. Last week they struggled to beat a 1-5 Cherokee team. I think if Union shows up and plays well they will have a pretty good chance to win. With the game being in TN, I think it will be a steeper challenge than if it were at home.

Comparing Mo West's games thus far to last year's, I don't believe they are as strong. Of course, we aren't either in several areas. 

We did have 274 rushing yards despite all the fumbles. Our running game should be as strong against them this year. And we have a threat of a passing game.

I think we will match up against them just fine, but my concern is that we never play our best on the road. If we get ahead early, I think we win, but if we have bus lag and fall behind, it could be a long bus ride home. 

Morristown is a great place to watch a game, they have outstanding facilities. They are 6A and should have plenty of depth, all the teams they have lost to, they should have lost to, so no surprises there. I think Union can match them starters with them, and would not be surprised if Union wins. I think West may just a slight favorite because of the home field, just slight though. I always like it when SW Va. teams strike a blow for the little guys across the state line but I can't get a feel for this game yet.

There was a lot of talk on if a SWVA team could compete with a good NETN team.  Here is an opportunity to see.  MW isn't in any stretch a good NETN but they are a big school.  Union is one of the good teams this year in SWVA.  I think this game will prove that "size matters"!!!  I think it will be close but I give the advantage to the home team.

19 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Yes to both. Never been, but the stadium looks great in pictures. 

It is a good fan experience, plenty of seats and plenty of parking, pretty good concessions. It is field turf and has a video board. I have been there many times very nice place! 

Watched Mo-West play Harlan Co a few years back in 2012 in Week 0 to get a scope on what Harlan Co had. They actually played on a Saturday because Mo-West and East both played. Mo-East faced a loaded Knox Fulton team (Fulton won the 4A title that year). Very nice place to watch a game, not a fan of the bi-tone turf with one color that looks burnt, but at least they have turf. Was there early and got a good parking spot, so I can’t really speak on how the parking is for someone who doesn’t get there until late. 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I read that article earlier after a preview was submitted for a review on CoalfieldSports.

the current Trojan QB, Zack Young, was the QB during last season's meeting.

6 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I read that article earlier after a preview was submitted for a review on CoalfieldSports.

the current Trojan QB, Zack Young, was the QB during last season's meeting.

Yep, and from the film I saw, he seems to be the only speed they have and the best athlete on the team. They're going to come out passing. Containing him will decide the game.

Does anyone else from Union think our defense looks confused? I think it’s the D coach acting like the Tasmanian Devil inside a tornado that causes that. He started to send a sub in last night while Mo West was about to snap the ball.It May be just me but someone needs to tell him to settle down because he is confusing the kids or put him in the booth and let Barry Jones coach the kids from the sideline

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Does anyone else from Union think our defense looks confused? I think it’s the D coach acting like the Tasmanian Devil inside a tornado that causes that. He started to send a sub in last night while Mo West was about to snap the ball.It May be just me but someone needs to tell him to settle down because he is confusing the kids or put him in the booth and let Barry Jones coach the kids from the sideline

I guess we need to keep in mind that we had some kids on last year's D that would make any coordinator look good. 

I do miss Rhodes, but given what we lost, our D is doing pretty good this year. I'm still on the fence about several areas, but I think we're making improvements each week though.

45 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I guess we need to keep in mind that we had some kids on last year's D that would make any coordinator look good. 

I do miss Rhodes, but given what we lost, our D is doing pretty good this year. I'm still on the fence about several areas, but I think we're making improvements each week though.

I think inserting Gibson to corner and moving Jenkins to safety has improved the secondary quite a bit. It sucks for Falin though because I thought he was doing a pretty good job back there. 

Yes, nothing against Falin whatsoever, but I thought it was kind of a given to have your fastest or at least top couple of fastest kid at safety. I think Falin would be better at DE or OLB.

Our biggest problem with the pass is lack of pressure on the QB. It may not always work in college or pro, but in HS, blitz, blitz and more blitz.