Podcast Questions?!?

Ryan4VT

Can each of you name your Top 3 best, and bottom 3 worst venues to watch a high school football game? All things considered....vantage point, bleacher comfort(or lack there of), concessions, PA guy, stadium location, parking, etc.

Only one rule. It’s a tough one! NO RICHLANDS 🤣 

Anyone can name their home venue. I’m trying to challenge you two, ya know? Keeping ya on your toes😉

Do you think high school will adopt the NFL rules as far as hitting the QB?(The Clay Matthews tackles/Body weight rule) I personally think if that rule and those type flags are here to stay then high school is when they need to implement it. 

10 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

You get to pick 1 QB, 1 WR, 2RB and 1 defensive player to start a team with. But you can only choose coverage area players since 2000. Should be interesting. 

Great Question and to piggyback off the question, along with area players since 2000, pick players from this season's teams.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Since it has been brought up in other threads... List the reasons why Chilhowie should be ranked ahead of Graham, Richlands and Union in the Top Ten Poll. Also, list the reasons why they shouldn't. Base your reasons off of this year's games thus far.

That’s easy. 0 losses to 1 loss, 1 loss, & 2 losses. 

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

No, but they also did not return 20 starters from a state championship runner up.

But your response to my podcast question listed no reason other than wins and losses. That's why I asked the question, which, BTW, was a choice question, should or shouldn't, since some have argued for and against. I was hoping to evoke actual justification because there has to be a reason for them other than they're undefeated and references to what they did last year, or against them because they're 1A and don't play as difficult a schedule as 2A teams.

To be clear, I wasn't comparing Hurley to Chilhowie and the Warriors may very well defeat Richlands, Graham, Union and/or Ridgeview. I haven't seen them, so I have no clue. Giles and Glenvar, in 2013 and 2014, respectively, won state championships. Both went 10-0 the following year, returned a huge number of starters, and were expected to repeat. Both were beaten in the 3rd round. Last year means nothing and one can only speculate about who or how many are returning. What if those kids didn't hit the weight room as hard this year or are expecting to coast just because. What if a couple of returners had new assignments because of what was lost and the team isn't meshing as well because of the change? Have I made you think about this or do you just want to punch me now? Lol

27 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

But your response to my podcast question listed no reason other than wins and losses. That's why I asked the question, which, BTW, was a choice question, should or shouldn't, since some have argued for and against. I was hoping to evoke actual justification because there has to be a reason for them other than they're undefeated and references to what they did last year, or against them because they're 1A and don't play as difficult a schedule as 2A teams.

To be clear, I wasn't comparing Hurley to Chilhowie and the Warriors may very well defeat Richlands, Graham, Union and/or Ridgeview. I haven't seen them, so I have no clue. Giles and Glenvar, in 2013 and 2014, respectively, won state championships. Both went 10-0 the following year, returned a huge number of starters, and were expected to repeat. Both were beaten in the 3rd round. Last year means nothing and one can only speculate about who or how many are returning. What if those kids didn't hit the weight room as hard this year or are expecting to coast just because. What if a couple of returners had new assignments because of what was lost and the team isn't meshing as well because of the change? Have I made you think about this or do you just want to punch me now? Lol

Timmy Hess and Kanin Lewis scored fourth-quarter touchdowns as Ridgeview recorded a 31-20 win over Chilhowie on Friday night in a VHSL Benefit football game between two of the top teams in far Southwest Virginia.

Chilhowie led 20-17 after three quarters and the Warriors got a strong performance from senior running back Greg Sanchez. Sanchez rushed for 111 yards on five carries, scored two touchdowns and also kicked two field goals.

Anthony Blevins added 78 yards on six carries for the Warriors.

Trenton Adkins (11 carries, 94 yards, one touchdown) and Matthew Sexton (10 carries, 69 yards, one TD) led the Ridgeview rushing attack.

^^^^^

Chilhowie was 2-3 at this point last year. They’re 5-0 this year and are blowing every team out, so I feel that it’s safe to think that they aren’t coasting. 

Plus they was leading the best 2A team in our region when both teams pulled starters, albeit in a benefit game, but they proved their best can play with everyone else’s best. 

7 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Timmy Hess and Kanin Lewis scored fourth-quarter touchdowns as Ridgeview recorded a 31-20 win over Chilhowie on Friday night in a VHSL Benefit football game between two of the top teams in far Southwest Virginia.

Chilhowie led 20-17 after three quarters and the Warriors got a strong performance from senior running back Greg Sanchez. Sanchez rushed for 111 yards on five carries, scored two touchdowns and also kicked two field goals.

Anthony Blevins added 78 yards on six carries for the Warriors.

Trenton Adkins (11 carries, 94 yards, one touchdown) and Matthew Sexton (10 carries, 69 yards, one TD) led the Ridgeview rushing attack.

^^^^^

Chilhowie was 2-3 at this point last year. They’re 5-0 this year and are blowing every team out, so I feel that it’s safe to think that they aren’t coasting. 

Plus they was leading the best 2A team in our region when both teams pulled starters, albeit in a benefit game, but they proved their best can play with everyone else’s best. 

Cool. Glad you didn't answer that you wanted to punch me. haha

And the comment about coasting was just a general statement not specifically about Chilhowie.

21 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Show me on this doll where the poll hurt you.

doll.jpg

Did you want to add something useful to the conversation or just play dolls with me? I'm OK with playing dolls, but I think I only have some Transformers left from childhood. The GI Joes, Star Wars figures, and my sister's Barbies all met untimely deaths due to firecrackers and BB guns.😀

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Since it has been brought up in other threads... List the reasons why Chilhowie should be ranked ahead of Graham, Richlands and Union in the Top Ten Poll. Also, list the reasons why they shouldn't. Base your reasons off of this year's games thus far.

Graham’s lines playing weaker and smaller than they are is one reason why.  I’d take Chilhowie heads up over Graham right now, and I’m usually banging the “D1 is a bigger step below D2 than people realize” drum.

31 minutes ago, DB-6130 said:

I may be the only person that does not know the answer to this question, but I will ask anyway. The song on the podcast, What is the name and who is it by. Maybe someone can answer that without putting it in the podcast though. 

Thanks

Hey buddy. It is "Shallow Grave" by The Kind Thieves 

I’m curious to see everyone’s opinion if VHS beats Chilhowie again. Will it be because Chilhowie is overrated because VHS sucks, or will it be because VHS is a little better than people give them credit for 🤣

In all seriousness though, speaking only for me, I rank teams in my poll, similar to how the AP does the Top 25. There are countless examples of teams being ranked too high and teams being ranked too low.

To me, you should account for a team’s entire body of work, so there is something to what @EH31 said, when it comes to wins and losses.

@Union_Fan also has a point about not necessarily going by what a team has done in the past (which is impressive, because there are a couple of Union fans on this board that believe that the Bears could beat Alabama because of Union’s success over the last few years. Kudos, sir!).

A recent example would be Virginia Tech. Ranked #13 last week. They lose to a winless ODU team.

Did Tech deserve their ranking BEFORE that game? Absolutely!

Did Tech deserve to drop AFTER the game? Absolutely! 

In college football, Alabama is clearly better than every other team in the country. 1D is much closer to having an “Alabama” in Chilhowie, than 2D is. Ridgeview is definitely ranked #1 for a good reason. So far, they have yet to lose a game. They should not be #1, solely based on the fact that they beat Union(goes back to not using the past)

CAN Chilhowie beat this year’s Union, Graham, Ridgeview, and Richlands? Yes!

Would Chilhowie win 5 or 6 out of 10 games against any of those teams? No.

Those teams have a little more of what’s needed to win a hypothetical 10 game series against Chilhowie, but it’s not impossible at all for Chilhowie to win a couple. Chilhowie is good enough to win 2 or 3 of the games in a “10 game series”.

Now, to use a winless area team like Lebanon(sorry Pioneers, not picking on you guys. I realize the program is suffering because of numbers). In 2018, would Lebanon beat any of those teams even once in a 10 game series? My money says “No way!”

My point in all of this is, people voting in polls is not a perfect way to rank teams, but what would be a better system? There isn’t one. Teams may be ranked higher than other teams, but that does not mean they are necessarily better than a team ranked one or two spots below them. It means they are good and their season has been a smidge better so far, than the teams right below them.

4 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I’m curious to see everyone’s opinion if VHS beats Chilhowie again. Will it be because Chilhowie is overrated because VHS sucks, or will it be because VHS is a little better than people give them credit for 🤣

In all seriousness though, speaking only for me, I rank teams in my poll, similar to how the AP does the Top 25. There are countless examples of teams being ranked too high and teams being ranked too low.

To me, you should account for a team’s entire body of work, so there is something to what @EH31 said, when it comes to wins and losses.

@Union_Fan also has a point about not necessarily going by what a team has done in the past (which is impressive, because there are a couple of Union fans on this board that believe that the Bears could beat Alabama because of Union’s success over the last few years. Kudos, sir!).

A recent example would be Virginia Tech. Ranked #13 last week. They lose to a winless ODU team.

Did Tech deserve their ranking BEFORE that game? Absolutely!

Did Tech deserve to drop AFTER the game? Absolutely! 

In college football, Alabama is clearly better than every other team in the country. 1D is much closer to having an “Alabama” in Chilhowie, than 2D is. Ridgeview is definitely ranked #1 for a good reason. So far, they have yet to lose a game. They should not be #1, solely based on the fact that they beat Union(goes back to not using the past)

CAN Chilhowie beat this year’s Union, Graham, Ridgeview, and Richlands? Yes!

Would Chilhowie win 5 or 6 out of 10 games against any of those teams? No.

Those teams have a little more of what’s needed to win a hypothetical 10 game series against Chilhowie, but it’s not impossible at all for Chilhowie to win a couple. Chilhowie is good enough to win 2 or 3 of the games in a “10 game series”.

Now, to use a winless area team like Lebanon(sorry Pioneers, not picking on you guys. I realize the program is suffering because of numbers). In 2018, would Lebanon beat any of those teams even once in a 10 game series? My money says “No way!”

My point in all of this is, people voting in polls is not a perfect way to rank teams, but what would be a better system? There isn’t one. Teams may be ranked higher than other teams, but that does not mean they are necessarily better than a team ranked one or two spots below them. It means they are good and their season has been a smidge better so far, than the teams right below them.

I thought my question was pretty simple and fair. No way was it meant to slight Chilhowie whatsoever. That's why I asked for a justification BOTH for AND against. Weigh the pros and cons. Never thought it would have been controversial at all. However, this ^^^^ is what I was looking for. Something other that "cause."  Kudos to YOU, sir!

It's very hard for me to rank teams when A.) I haven't seen them all play. B.) If they have no common opponents to compare. or C.) They don't have the same schedule.