GC @ Marion

Grapeape

Gate City showed something tonight.  If the team were as pitiful as most folks from Scott County think they are, they wouldn’t have made a comeback like this.  Props to Gate City; I hope those kids and their coaches get rewarded for their hard work and spirit in the remaining weeks of the season.  They sure deserve it

It’s not the coaching. It’s not the effort. It’s the fact that GC is just flat in a down cycle. They don’t have the athletes they once had. It happens to everyone. But those kids don’t quit unlike the fan base who has quit on them. Hopefully they don’t listen too much. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

It’s not the coaching. It’s not the effort. It’s the fact that GC is just flat in a down cycle. They don’t have the athletes they once had. It happens to everyone. But those kids don’t quit unlike the fan base who has quit on them. Hopefully they don’t listen too much. 

We’re you there, sir? Did you notice the 6 bad snaps? 4 fumbles? The GC fans packed the stands and cheered all night. Stick to what you know, because you don’t know 💩 about what’s going on in GC, anymore than I know what’s up in Richlands. 

7 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

We’re you there, sir? Did you notice the 6 bad snaps? 4 fumbles? The GC fans packed the stands and cheered all night. Stick to what you know, because you don’t know 💩 about what’s going on in GC, anymore than I know what’s up in Richlands. 

They packed the stands tonight? Do you have a picture to prove it? Cause there were very little fans there against Richlands and I saw the pictures against Ridgeview when the stands were more than half full. 

Bad snaps and fumbles aren’t play calls. They are schemes. Those are kids making mistakes. 

And I know a little more about GC than you think I do. 

Well,I was there..I saw a Marion team who dominated the first half and thought the game was over at halftime..But our coaches lolligaged around and looked up to see GC was still playing.GC came ever so close to pulling the biggest upset I've saw in awhile..I didn't see a real big number for GC fans but they showed support.BTW,this was the first time in 32 years GC got beat at Hurricane Stadium..Wasn't pretty but showed both teams aren't as bad as they were just a few weeks ago..

What I don't understand is how a few fans voicing displeasure means the fans have quit on them.  I'd like to see other schools with 0 wins and compare the number of fans at the game.  The home side is nearly full minus what's in the reserved seating plus what's sitting on the away side.  Translation, more than half full.

I've said it is a down cycle in talent the past few years and it wouldn't matter who was the coach but I truly believe it wouldn't be this bad if the coach cared or knew what he was doing.  It's a testament to the team the way they didn't give up last night and almost came back to win the game.

Watching from the Marion side, it was clear what was happening.  The Gate City players and one assistant coach gave their all for 48 minutes.  Fortunately for my Canes, Gate City's apathetic and incompetent HC called just enough miscues to thwart a miracle comeback. 

20 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Gate City is in a down cycle. Plain and simple. 

In the words of the late Lou Rawls “But there’s no ifs and buts or maybes!”

This is going on for a variety of reasons. 

Down cycle?   We haven’t had a down cycle since shoemaker high years.  ...bad years, yes. But no down cycles.  It is school board, administration, and coaching.  That is creating this.  If you are not in Scott county then you have no idea what you are talking about.  If you are and have half a brain, then you know the problems that the county is having.   Leadership is the worst it has ever been.   That is the down cycle.  If you from Richlands or big stone or any where else you don’t have a clue how sorry are school leadership is.  It won’t change until there are changes starting at the top.   

10 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Watching from the Marion side, it was clear what was happening.  The Gate City players and one assistant coach gave their all for 48 minutes.  Fortunately for my Canes, Gate City's apathetic and incompetent HC called just enough miscues to thwart a miracle comeback. 

I think some posters may not have processed the dripping sarcasm in my previous post.

8 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Sure they are. Why, GC goes 1 - 19 over two seasons every 6 or 7 years, like clockwork. Harry Fry, Nick Colobro, & Bill Houseright all went 0-10 5 or 6 times. It’s a cycle and in no way a reflection of the fine men whose job it is to prepare our kids to play. Re-sign Akers and in a couple years we’ll have state championship #6 (Because everyone wins state every ten years or so, that’s a cycle, too). 

*If you guarantee victory, then go out & get your a$$ kicked by the 3rd worst team in the region, you should have the testicular fortitude to quit. 

Gate City lost by one score and had a legitimate chance to win at the end after coming back from a huge hole.  And you’re talking about them getting their asses kicked?

With fans like these, who needs enemies?  Maybe a decade more of losing seasons will finally give your ilk the proper perspective over a game played by children.  It’s shameful and pathetic.

Gate City had 265 of rushing, 197 yards of passing, 16 first downs and only one punt in their lost to Marion.  Yes, they did have 9 fumbles and lost 2 of these at critical times in the first half.  However, with the offense they play, split back veer, which is option football the chance for fumbling is greater than other offenses.  Even in their lost to Ridgeview, Gate City moved the ball with a player who rushed for over a hundred yards.  In other games they came out ready to play and took leads against both Abingdon and Sullivan South who are larger schools.  I have not seen any quit this year in Gate City in any player or coach.  Next to Richlands, they play the toughest 2A schedule in the region and every week they come out and do their best.  Hats off to Marion, for making an incredible play at the end of an exciting game.

42 minutes ago, Devil's Advocate said:

Gate City had 265 of rushing, 197 yards of passing, 16 first downs and only one punt in their lost to Marion.  Yes, they did have 9 fumbles and lost 2 of these at critical times in the first half.  However, with the offense they play, split back veer, which is option football the chance for fumbling is greater than other offenses.  Even in their lost to Ridgeview, Gate City moved the ball with a player who rushed for over a hundred yards.  In other games they came out ready to play and took leads against both Abingdon and Sullivan South who are larger schools.  I have not seen any quit this year in Gate City in any player or coach.  Next to Richlands, they play the toughest 2A schedule in the region and every week they come out and do their best.  Hats off to Marion, for making an incredible play at the end of an exciting game.

Finally, a reasonable GC fan. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah, can’t forget Jason. It’s sad that a few loud bad apples spoil what I would assume is a quiet majority who understand what’s happening. 

GC fans who live there and attend every game say it’s the coaches. Random guys on the internet from every place but GC who have never been to a game say it’s a cycle. Obviously the Scott County School Board agrees with us GC folk, because Mr. Akers’ replacement is already on the sideline. I, along with thousands of other GC fans, will continue to unconditionally support the kids. As for my opinions on Mr. Akers, I will continue to accurately depict his incompetence - just as anyone would if this cancer metastasized on your program.