Old Richlands controversy

Optimal62

You tend to troll under certain conditions on Preps or at least blindly follow others who do.  I certainly hope your intentions are above board here. You may get to meet Ryan if they aren’t. This thread has the potential to go off the rails very quickly.

Richlands used cleats deemed too long by VHSL to beat Salem in 1992. I believe they were 3/4 inch cleats. I have heard Salem wore the same cleats but that part gets conveniently forgotten. 

36 minutes ago, Gil'sBlues said:

Salem and Richlands had the same cleats on.

Did they change after each play or each series? Or did the offensive team get the cleats while the other team played in socks? Or was it the defensive team that wore the cleats? Did they change by position? That would suck if you were a wide receiver who wore a size 9 and the opposing wide receiver wore a size 13. And this begs the question, why couldn’t Richlands or Salem afford their own cleats? Why did they have to wear the same cleats? And how in the hell did one of these teams make the playoffs playing an entire season without cleats? This needs to be an entire podcast episode, like a 30for30 or something 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

You tend to troll under certain conditions on Preps or at least blindly follow others who do.  I certainly hope your intentions are above board here. You may get to meet Ryan if they aren’t. This thread has the potential to go off the rails very quickly.

Richlands used cleats deemed too long by VHSL to beat Salem in 1992. I believe they were 3/4 inch cleats. I have heard Salem wore the same cleats but that part gets conveniently forgotten. 

Yeah, I'm just gonna stay far away from this one. Your post says all that needs to be said lol.

17 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

What would the 93 team have done, playoff wise? I know they beat GC that year but not much else. Was McCommons their rb? 

McCommons was a Sophomore, the team finished 7-3 and had some great seniors like Chris Harrison, Brad Davis and Adam Yost.  Would have had a good run in the playoffs.  Lost to Lebanon, Powell Valley and Christiansburg.

11 hours ago, sixcat said:

You tend to troll under certain conditions on Preps or at least blindly follow others who do.  I certainly hope your intentions are above board here. You may get to meet Ryan if they aren’t.

Trolling is prohibited here.  You may meet "The Chair" or, even worse, "The Hammer"...just sayin'...

23 hours ago, sixcat said:

23 hours ago, sixcat said:

Richlands used cleats deemed too long by VHSL to beat Salem in 1992. I believe they were 3/4 inch cleats. I have heard Salem wore the same cleats but that part gets conveniently forgotten 

First off this was no  troll post.  I asked a serious question. Sixcat show me where on anyboard I troll. I will wait! The only thing I think you can refer to is when you posted about homeschool students and people corrected you. That is not trolling anyone and in no way did I disrespect you.  Again I will wait. If you show me as to where I did, I will certainly apologize as I did not mean to. 

I have done nothing but treat everyone with absolute respect on this board and the others. Haha it is high school football for God's sake. I absolutely have better things to do than troll  on message boards.

Finally  I am really serious as to what happened. From the posts here I gather there was an issue that people believed that one school used illegal cleats. Was it on a nuetral field? Had it been raining? Etc

From the comment that was posted about what the 93 team could of done. Was they banned from the playoffs the next year? 

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

First off this was no  troll post.  I asked a serious question. Sixcat show me where on anyboard I troll. I will wait! The only thing I think you can refer to is when you posted about homeschool students and people corrected you. That is not trolling anyone and in no way did I disrespect you.  Again I will wait. If you show me as to where I did, I will certainly apologize as I did not mean to. 

I have done nothing but treat everyone with absolute respect on this board and the others. Haha it is high school football for God's sake. I absolutely have better things to do than troll  on message boards.

Finally  I am really serious as to what happened. From the posts here I gather there was an issue that people believed that one school used illegal cleats. Was it on a nuetral field? Had it been raining? Etc

From the comment that was posted about what the 93 team could of done. Was they banned from the playoffs the next year? 

Homeschool kids do NOT count toward VHSL ADM figures!

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Homeschool kids do NOT count toward VHSL ADM figures!

So because others  disagreed with you on a thread and I spoke up and gave my interpretation of the rule  (never disrespectful by the way) I am a troll?  You have got be kidding me.  Wow not worth the time. Have a blessed day. 

19 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

So because others  disagreed with you on a thread and I spoke up and gave my interpretation of the rule  (never disrespectful by the way) I am a troll?  You have got be kidding me.  Wow not worth the time. Have a blessed day. 

Disagree all you wish. Anyone on here can attest to me being accepting and respectful of differing opinions. 

What I won’t stand for is bullying and ridicule!

Again I will wait for you to show me how I bullied and ridiculed you. Not once did disrespect you in anyway. I simply wrote that I thought)  as did others if I remember correctly) the guy you was debating with was correct.  That Is all. Not one time did I attack you  or disrespect you. You can go to the thread  Grayson County drops to 1a and see it. 

If you got your feelings hurt by people disagreeing with you, then there is other issues at hand. Disagreeing is not bullying or ridiculing. 

Have a good night. 

The story: Richlands asswhooped a big rich high school in the state finals. Big Rich High complained like a bunch of bitches. The vh$l caved & suspended Richlands from the playoffs the following year. The ruling made the vh$l look like fools, allowed the Richlands coaches to be home for Thanksgiving, & accomplished little else. 

26 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Again I will wait for you to show me how I bullied and ridiculed you. Not once did disrespect you in anyway. I simply wrote that I thought)  as did others if I remember correctly) the guy you was debating with was correct.  That Is all. Not one time did I attack you  or disrespect you. You can go to the thread  Grayson County drops to 1a and see it. 

If you got your feelings hurt by people disagreeing with you, then there is other issues at hand. Disagreeing is not bullying or ridiculing. 

Have a good night. 

Maybe I should change my username to “threecat” and “break it down Barney style” for you while your buddies “ win the internet for the day!”

Should I keep going or has this been enough of a refresher for you?

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Maybe I should change my username to “threecat” and “break it down Barney style” for you while your buddies “ win the internet for the day!”

Should I keep going or has this been enough of a refresher for you?

Umm, I think you need the refresher. You are way off base and confused here. That is not what was said to you, and I never wrote that!, It was the guy you was debating with who wrote that.   He was responding to your comments, and said (you are going to have to break that down Barney style for us) .  Him not me.

I was the one who wrote ( you won the internet, with break it down Barney style for us comment ). I was referring to his quote. I was in no way aiming it at you.  I thought the quote was funny that's all. I was in no way shape or form poking fun at you, disrespecting you or bullying you.  Offending you by laughing at a quote does not make me a troll. 

So before you start attacking someone get your stuff straight and have a good reason. 

7 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Umm, I think you need the refresher. You are way off base and confused here. That is not what was said to you, and I never wrote that!, It was the guy you was debating with who wrote that.   He was responding to your comments, and said (you are going to have to break that down Barney style for us) .  Him not me.

I was the one who wrote ( you won the internet, with break it down Barney style for us comment ). I was referring to his quote. I was in no way aiming it at you.  I thought the quote was funny that's all. I was in no way shape or form poking fun at you, disrespecting you or bullying you.  Offending you by laughing at a quote does not make me a troll. 

So before you start attacking someone get your stuff straight and have a good reason. 

You may not have said all of it but it was in pretty equal thirds between the three of you guys. You certainly seemed awfully eager to back your buddies play!

9 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

I've slept on it, very well too I might add!  Let's try a different tact and see if we can both be civilized adults, shall we?

By starting a topic titled "Richlands Controversy", you are opening up the potential for a free-for-all.  I hope you can understand that.  It may not have been intentional but of all the topics that tend to go very south in a hurry, anything slamming Richlands tops the list.  Usually by a troll attempting to create chaos.  Given you frequent the other site far more than this one, I attempted to head something off before it got started.  In mentioning Ryan in my opening post, I simply meant he is a proud Richlands alumn and supporter as well as a moderator on this board.  I felt like the topic needed to be monitored for the potential of it needing to be locked before it went off the rails. 

As for the thread on the other site, I have re-read the entire thing and came away with the same conclusion.  Whether intentional or not, it felt as if you and a couple others were ganging up on me over something you were all completely wrong about.  Here is further proof in the links provided.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tebow-bill-defeated-by-virginia-education-committee/

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/republican-led-education-committee-defeats-tebow-bill/article_90377982-7547-5e48-9d0e-d40004a82163.html

Homeschool kids are not, nor have they ever been, counted toward public school enrollment figures in Virginia.  As a matter of fact, the last 3 governors of Virginia have stated publicly, they would veto any bill that were to make it through the state House and Senate for signature into law.  Grayson's enrollment figures aren't fluctuating very much as a result of homeschool children either way.  The VBOE website states Grayson has 93 total homeschool children residing in the county.  93 kids spread across 13 grade levels would average out to be roughly 7 kids per grade level.  So, if the Tebow law were in effect in Virginia, 28 kids wouldn't be much of a change for Grayson.  Full disclosure, I was born and raised in Grayson County and a Grayson County High School graduate.

Despite what has happened in this thread, this board is really far more welcoming and far less judgmental of the Appalachian stereotype than the other site.  That's why we like it here far more than the other site and want to protect it from the random troll from over there.  It happens far more frequently than you think.  Welcome to the board.  Please stay and enjoy and hopefully, we can put this fiasco behind us! 

Feel free to PM me for further civil discussion if you would like.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, Grapeape said:

The story: Richlands asswhooped a big rich high school in the state finals. Big Rich High complained like a bunch of bitches. The vh$l caved & suspended Richlands from the playoffs the following year. The ruling made the vh$l look like fools, allowed the Richlands coaches to be home for Thanksgiving, & accomplished little else. 

Nuff Said!!!! Best answer I've read so far.