Graham @ Virginia High

Bearcat Dad

On a special edition of Thursday Night Football, the G-Men travel to Bristol to take on the Bearcats. 

Early in the season, this was considered to be a marquee matchup to have major implications in the race for the SWD title. Unfortunately for the Bearcats, this is now just a stepping stone for Graham to set up a district deciding game against Richlands in the near future.

Graham is just simply taking care of business and steamrolling thru their schedule against everyone not named Bluefield, while the Bearcats are just stumbling around, while being the biggest disappointment in region D this season.

The question is not “Will Graham win this game?” It will be “How many points do they want to win by?”

The G-Men have a cast of players contributing, while the Bearcats have two or three players who are consistently playing well, while the rest are still trying to find their way. 

Regardless, I still stand behind my Bearcats, but if they don’t turn things around and start living up to their potential, this one will get ugly in a hurry.

Graham - 45

VHS - 20

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Depends on which Graham team shows up.  The Graham team that showed up last night wins convincingly.  The Graham team that derped around against Giles and let Tazewell run at will can lose to a team with Virginia High’s talent.

I agree that we have the athleticism to play with anybody in our region. Our defense is getting better just about every week. That unit played their best game of the season, so far, last night against a tough offense. We held Abingdon to 165 total yards and only 56 total yards after halftime. Abingdon’s scores were assisted by us fumbling on a punt return inside our own 35 and on their other scoring drive, we kept their drive alive with a pass interference on 3rd and 14, and they proceeded to make us pay.

With that said, we are 6 games into the season and have yet to play well offensively in 4 straight quarters. Hell, we usually don’t even string together 2 efficient quarters in a single game.

In six games/12 halves, we’ve been held to 7 or fewer points in 7 of those 12 halves of football. Even really good defenses can’t combat that week, after week, after week.

I have been a big supporter of this coaching staff and team, I still am. I’m also a realist, and until they can get whatever is causing the disconnect on offense figured out, it will be more of the same.

I agree depends on which Graham team shows up as to how the game turns out. An undisciplined, penalty racked game against VA High won't be good for GMen with Richlands waiting on deck. VA High may have a chance. Graham is often their own worst enemy. By the same token, if GMen keep emotions in check, channel that energy in a positive way, stick to assignments, etc. then Richlands game may be a barn burner with the added twist of former Richlands DC on Graham's staff, should make for a charged environment that night. 

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Va High has the best RB in the area. The only problem is, he only plays LB. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m gonna try what other posters did, earlier in the thread........this

I have been told this very thing by 3 prominent coaches in our region!

6 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

I do agree he is top notch, I think Adkins from Ridgeview is a little better.

Adkins definitely has the speed and shiftiness edge. Rose is a power back. 

I believe one ends up a HB at the next level, and the other a FB, if he’s not on the defensive side. 

I do know that Rose is being recruited mostly for defense, but one school has mentioned power back in a RB by committee.

Why is it that I feel like the Bearcats have a better than average shot at winning this one.  If they catch the G-Men looking ahead to Richlands next week could spell trouble.  On the same note as posted earlier.  "Depends on which Graham team shows up"

If the Bearcats can sort out their redzone offense and catch a few breaks they could pull the upset.

3 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

Why is it that I feel like the Bearcats have a better than average shot at winning this one.  If they catch the G-Men looking ahead to Richlands next week could spell trouble.  On the same note as posted earlier.  "Depends on which Graham team shows up"

If the Bearcats can sort out their redzone offense and catch a few breaks they could pull the upset.

Don’t ya know? People who have no clue what they are talking about, thinks it’s impossible for VHS to do ANYTHING good outside of baseball 🤣

All joking aside, the Bearcats at their best CAN compete with Graham. Will we see them at their best? Time will tell.