GC @ Lee

Grapeape

GC that showed up in the 2nd half at Marion shows up it will be a close game. If it's the GC from the first half then Lee wins easily. Hopefully the band bus don't break down this week and the band gets to play on the field. 

5 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Is it me, or has this become a yearly tradition? 

GC has historically never played well at Lee.  I say Lee in the neighborhood of 41-25. 

They made it to Marion in time to play two songs before the game from the stands. 

I thank that Gate City may have finally turned the corner.

Sounded like GC was getting tired of loosing last week.

Lee seems to be starting  the late season nosedive that happens in the last few weeks of every season. 

GC 42 Lee 21

I hate the GC band didn't arrive in time to perform, because they sounded great from the stands.  Hats off to any band director that teaches the students Classic Queen songs.

As far as football, I think this is a winnable game for GC.  The QB-Center exchange (or lack thereof) killed nearly every drive in the first half against Marion.  The second half was a different story with the Blue Devil offense looking crisp.  Mack, Reed, and Tomlinson  were threats to score at any time.  

5 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I hate the GC band didn't arrive in time to perform, because they sounded great from the stands.  Hats off to any band director that teaches the students Classic Queen songs.

They have an excellent program and always sound great. Never had a Union/GC game where they didn't get compliments from the Union stands.

45 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I come from a different school of thought. We were taught that if you can buy it at Walmart, it should be played in the stands, not on the field. 

That doesn’t mean that you can’t play something from a popular song, but shows shouldn’t be centered around Queen or the Beatles or The Who or whatnot. 

That always stuck with me. You never see the bands playing those shows winning awards at band competitions. It’s the bands who have themed shows that are more than just the stuff you hear on the radio. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I come from a different school of thought. We were taught that if you can buy it at Walmart, it should be played in the stands, not on the field. 

That doesn’t mean that you can’t play something from a popular song, but shows shouldn’t be centered around Queen or the Beatles or The Who or whatnot. 

That always stuck with me. You never see the bands playing those shows winning awards at band competitions. It’s the bands who have themed shows that are more than just the stuff you hear on the radio. 

I appreciate your point, Ryan. 

Sadly, all my knowledge of high culture comes from Bugs Bunny cartoons.

54 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I appreciate your point, Ryan. 

Sadly, all my knowledge of high culture comes from Bugs Bunny cartoons.

That's just a different philosophy that when you're taught as a 6th grader and you see it come true more often than not, it just sticks and colors your opinion a bit lol.

18 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's just a different philosophy that when you're taught as a 6th grader and you see it come true more often than not, it just sticks and colors your opinion a bit lol.

IIRC, Richlands and Abingdon performed some impressive shows this century without the use of pop/rock.  I wish I could remember any details of either show, but someone used portable, flat-panel field props.  

3 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

IIRC, Richlands and Abingdon performed some impressive shows this century without the use of pop/rock.  I wish I could remember any details of either show, but someone used portable, flat-panel field props.  

The Colors show in 03 that Richlands did maybe? We had a part of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and we had 6 10-foot tall waterfalls that had colored water in them to represent the rainbow. I was an 8th grader that year and was responsible for the blue waterfall. 

10 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Never? Had to go all the way back to 2011. haha

Union High School Marching Bears
October 15, 2011 · 
So, the Bears of Union High are OVERALL GRAND CHAMPIONS OF THE LETCHER COUNTY INVITATIONAL MARCHING BAND COMPETITION!!! WHAT NOW?? We brought "da SWAG"...

This is my favorite clip from that performance.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OL9MC4hHkKk?start=550&end=615&version=3

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Never? Had to go all the way back to 2011. haha

Union High School Marching Bears
October 15, 2011 · 
So, the Bears of Union High are OVERALL GRAND CHAMPIONS OF THE LETCHER COUNTY INVITATIONAL MARCHING BAND COMPETITION!!! WHAT NOW?? We brought "da SWAG"...

This is my favorite clip from that performance.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OL9MC4hHkKk?start=550&end=615&version=3

Never was the wrong word, but it very rarely happens. Lol