Coaching Hot Seat/Coach Looking To Move On

50kw

Union plays in house with their youth football.  Don't have much drop off there.  Coaching makes a difference, Travis and his staff actually coach their jv and varsity in practice. Lee has had good kids for a long time but again coaching makes the difference.  This is from one that has coached and operated the lee youth program.

3 hours ago, Union4sure said:

Union plays in house with their youth football.  Don't have much drop off there.  Coaching makes a difference, Travis and his staff actually coach their jv and varsity in practice. Lee has had good kids for a long time but again coaching makes the difference.  This is from one that has coached and operated the lee youth program.

The Union (PV) model is something you'd think some of these other programs would adopt as Union, PV and Appalachia are the gold standard for football in SWVA.  They get quality coaching for a short season, and don't burn the kids out like some other youth programs.  3rd-7th grade kids don't need to be playing football from August 1-November 1, and you can't convince me otherwise.  I just don't see how others don't see that and model their programs accordingly.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:11 PM, Widespread_Panic said:

Can't wait for the Reed Vs Houseright show down over becoming the next head coach at Gate City. Abingdon's coach is an interim hire so they may be looking for a new coach. Wise Central needs to make a change ASAP. I would add Holston to the list but they seem content with losing seasons. 

FB is unpredictable.  As we seen this past summer wtih several schools/coaches making changes in late summer this season.  Would like to see Houseright given a chance at the HC job before someonelse steps in and offers him a great deal somehwere else.  

14 hours ago, Weatherman said:

They get quality coaching for a short season, and don't burn the kids out like some other youth programs.  3rd-7th grade kids don't need to be playing football from August 1-November 1, and you can't convince me otherwise. 

Couldn't agree more with this. 

Houseright has made a big difference in the Rye Cove Defense. At this time last year Rye Cove has not even been in ballgames, and this year they have been in a couple ballgames that could of went in their favor. I’d love to see Houseright take over the Rye Cove program and bring a few more in to help him and I believe with a few boys Rye Cove has returning they could be a 4-6 and 5-5 possibly 6-5 in the next two years.

28 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Houseright has made a big difference in the Rye Cove Defense. At this time last year Rye Cove has not even been in ballgames, and this year they have been in a couple ballgames that could of went in their favor. I’d love to see Houseright take over the Rye Cove program and bring a few more in to help him and I believe with a few boys Rye Cove has returning they could be a 4-6 and 5-5 possibly 6-5 in the next two years.

Houseright has made a phenomenal difference with the RC defense.  He also brings enthusiasm to their entire program and that is what the kids need.  Kids need structrue, discipline, accountablity, enthusiasm, and a HC that not only cares about just winning, but about building a solid program that will help draw more kids out to play FB!  This is what every FB program needs!  I hope the powers that be have taken notice of how much he has helped the RC program when it comes time to place a new HC at GC.  

Do you feel schools are more content these days to let a coach stick around as long as they are model citizens and don't rock the administrative boat? Has the priority of football programs declined due to low numbers and other factors? More and more schools are unable to field 8th grade or JV teams.

One trend I have noticed is that football is more openly criticized by parents of other sport's athletes, clubs and bands. All the while football is the athletic department's cash cow. Other sports and music programs would not be able to afford to compete if not for football gate money and concession sales. Most if not all Spring sports case and point. It baffles me that so many schools take no pride in their football programs even if you are a baseball or basketball school. I understand everyone is not going to win it all every year but at least try to get the very best out of what you have to work with and consider it a community effort. I know some may not like it but no other sport compares to the football gate. 

3 hours ago, SWVA Fan said:

Would like to see Houseright given a chance at the HC job before someonelse steps in and offers him a great deal somehwere else.  

I think Houseright would get more kids out and be more successful at GC but Reed has head coaching experience. Houseright makes more sense which means Reed will undoubtedly get the job.  

The record looks like it is par for course.  Not knocking houseright. But the record speaks for itself.  Does the hc not deserve any credit for coves “success”. Will houseright be Reed’s dc?   Will reed want him?  I don’t think reed comes back from ab not to be head coach.   Who knows what school board will do.  whatever they do it will for personal reasons or political purposes.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, who? said:

The record looks like it is par for course.  Not knocking houseright. But the record speaks for itself.  Does the hc not deserve any credit for coves “success”. Will houseright be Reed’s dc?   Will reed want him?  I don’t think reed comes back from ab not to be head coach.   Who knows what school board will do.  whatever they do it will for personal reasons or political purposes.

As along as some members agree there needs to be change this time. I believe Houseright would come home under the right conditions. 

2 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

As along as some members agree there needs to be change this time. I believe Houseright would come home under the right conditions. 

If I was a coach, I wouldn’t touch GC with a 39 1/2 foot pole. 

Not worth it with all the outside bs that goes on over there. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

If I was a coach, I wouldn’t touch GC with a 39 1/2 foot pole. 

Not worth it with all the outside bs that goes on over there. 

Pretty common sentiment from EVERYONE they interviewed... It’s a big hassle for a job that pays $5k/year. Reed will be his own OC or DC, just depends on who he trusts. Colobro says he’s not coming back, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

Pretty common sentiment from EVERYONE they interviewed... It’s a big hassle for a job that pays $5k/year. Reed will be his own OC or DC, just depends on who he trusts. Colobro says he’s not coming back, but who knows. 

Colobro also said when he ditched GC in 2009 that he would never be on a HS sideline again. But like you said, who knows who will end up back at GC. 

I think a coach should get 4 or 5. years unless he has done something criminal. Even at that the board will judge because that is what they ar elected to do. Now before any fans with coaches that they think don’t cut the mustard get aggravated, ask yourself how would I do if I was coaching this same team? Stephen James who was at Fort Chiswell a few years back took 6 years to turn it in the right direction and that included 12 years of bad football before him.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Lee High School Board consideing a coaching change?  The information I have looked at indicates by the third year you have a good idea what direction the program is heading.  This season Lee is 2-6 and the home side seats look pretty empty.  Looking at the wins and losses, the head coach's record to date beginning in 2016 is 13 wins - 16 losses.  His record against 2A teams is 7-15.  Six of the 2A wins have come against Lebanon, Central, and Gate City all of which seem to be really struggling themselves the last several years.  Central and Gate City both beat Lee this year on Lee's field.  The coaching staff seems to be real confused as to whether they want to run a spread offense or wishbone.  I never have determined what kind of defense Lee runs.  Most of the current coordinators have been around Lee High since Coach Martin was the head coach.  I think the head coach was the offensive coordinator back in 2009 when Coomer was the head coach at Lee.  Looks like the kids are trying really hard on the field.

4 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

Is the Lee High School Board consideing a coaching change?  The information I have looked at indicates by the third year you have a good idea what direction the program is heading.  This season Lee is 2-6 and the home side seats look pretty empty.  Looking at the wins and losses, the head coach's record to date beginning in 2016 is 13 wins - 16 losses.  His record against 2A teams is 7-15.  Six of the 2A wins have come against Lebanon, Central, and Gate City all of which seem to be really struggling themselves the last several years.  Central and Gate City both beat Lee this year on Lee's field.  The coaching staff seems to be real confused as to whether they want to run a spread offense or wishbone.  I never have determined what kind of defense Lee runs.  Most of the current coordinators have been around Lee High since Coach Martin was the head coach.  I think the head coach was the offensive coordinator back in 2009 when Coomer was the head coach at Lee.  Looks like the kids are trying really hard on the field.

Maybe it's not the coaching that's the problem.