Coaching Hot Seat/Coach Looking To Move On

50kw

42 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

What was Greg Mance's record at Richlands after 3 years?

My source fourseasonsfootball.com.....14-18.  Second year he went 9-3.  So there was an indication he might know something in his secknd year.  Plus there were a few quality wins his second year. 

15 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

What? 

I was stating 4 more days of Akers at Gate City. I didn’t say anything about anyone going anywhere. Other than Akers hitting the road. 

Yeah I know....I was just saying we are not inteeested in Akers

5 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

So what is the problem Weatherman?  I would love to hear your opinion. 

I don't know, but multiple coaches have not had significant success in the past, so maybe the system is broken, maybe there is not as much talent as some would like to believe. Maybe there are probably a lot of factors other than coaching that have led to Lee High football not being a championship caliber program.

21 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I don't know, but multiple coaches have not had significant success in the past, so maybe the system is broken, maybe there is not as much talent as some would like to believe. Maybe there are probably a lot of factors other than coaching that have led to Lee High football not being a championship caliber program.

You bring up some good points Weatherman.  There could be more going on behind the scenes.  Have you seen Lee High play in the last few years?  I won't get into Xs and Os, which have been confusing.  In football, I think school enrollment is very important, more students, more players,  more potential talent.   Looking at enrollment on VHSL website Union 659 students, Gate City 667, Ridgeview 677, Central 693, and JI Burton 239.  Lee lost to each of those teams.  Lee's enrollment was 671 students.  I have always thought part of the head coach's job is getting the kids out to play.  Bottomline the buck stops with the head coach.  I know there is a pretty good player at Union right now that use to be on Lee High's roster,  I don't know why the family left the program but they left.  Like you said Lee's problems may not have anything to do with the coach.

Just curious at LEE, why did Don Williams(playoffs 6 out of 6 yrs), Allen Kinser(4 out of 4)and Terry Martin(3 out of 4) leave or not coach long. I know retirement for 2. They were all successful. 10 coaches in 30 years of football is a lot. I know a while back. Johnny Cooke was a good coach at Jonesville, did he leave after consolidation?

On 10/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, Ryan4VT said:

If I was a coach, I wouldn’t touch GC with a 39 1/2 foot pole. 

Not worth it with all the outside bs that goes on over there. 

Ryan, if they hire the right guy 90% of the BS goes away! The School Board on the other hand hasn't do the right thing in a long time. 

2 hours ago, Single A west said:

Just curious at LEE, why did Don Williams(playoffs 6 out of 6 yrs), Allen Kinser(4 out of 4)and Terry Martin(3 out of 4) leave or not coach long. I know retirement for 2. They were all successful. 10 coaches in 30 years of football is a lot. I know a while back. Johnny Cooke was a good coach at Jonesville, did he leave after consolidation?

Lets not forget about the coach they hired from MARYLAND, he had won a state title at the 6 a level and he only lasted 1 year, just like GATE CITY they would fire VINCE LOMBARDI or at least run him off.

people leave all the time for different reasons,  but if one athlete breaks your program then it wasn't much already.  it's the same everywhere,  not just the schools suffering bad seasons. as far as coaching,  it should be treated as any other job in every school,  in that if you can't get it done then find someone who will. 

9 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Lets not forget about the coach they hired from MARYLAND, he had won a state title at the 6 a level and he only lasted 1 year, just like GATE CITY they would fire VINCE LOMBARDI or at least run him off.

Gc has had 4 coaches since the early 60s.  They did not fire or run of the first three.   

The problem at Lee is a combination of many things, not just blaming a coach. The parents and fans are a huge part of the problem because they think Lee should be in the same category as the Richlands, Unions, etc. Since the late 90's Lee has been a bad program with a few years sprinkled in on 6-5 and 1 good year of 9-3 when they lost some close games in the regular season they probably should have won. You have a 3 year shelf life to either win or you are gone, fair or not. Terry Martin did a great job with the program and was ran off, Palko (from Maryland who did not win any state titles btw) was a complete joke and made the program worse than before. Pendergraft knows some football and has some really good assistants, but the parents will always know more than anyone, so why even try. That job is a lot less appealing than the Gate City job in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Single A west said:

As I previously mentioned, adequate talent and number of players have not been a problem for a coach to be successful at Lee High. I have heard that after consolidation there was not a position for John Cooke on the coaching staff. To my knowledge, Coach Cooke is the only coach that has ever coached a Lee County school to a State Championship. Why Coach Martin left is a question for Coach Martin or the Lee County School Board and/or School Administration. Why a head coach is let go or how a head coaching position is hired has not exactly been open to the public. Somebody from Lee help me out here, were the last two head football coaching vacancies at Lee High even advertised to the public?

Martin was let go because the new head coach and school board member were good friends. Head coach on a power trip with his wife.  He was a decent quarterback in high school but didn't work as an assistant long enough to learn the game enough to run a program.  Never was a leader, only a follower. He's made the statement while one of lee's lineman was benching 400 or so pounds that he had never seen that at LHS before. One of his former teammates and All American lineman at Emory & Henry replied, that if he had spent any time in the weight room as a player he would have seen that feat.  Lot of talent at Lee and they sure deserve better than what they got at the top.  Going to be hard a new coach to come in here and start from scratch.  Only good news is that there is plenty of talent in the pipeline in youth program, jv and varsity got a long way to go.  I sure am glad that my grandkids are at Union.

I live in a Trump world.....it's all about WINNING now.  I just had to throw that in for fun.  I wish Coomer, Palko, Martin, Derek Dooley, and yes UT Butch Jones had all been successful but it didnt work out.  I hope the current coach ends up very successful but look at some other successful coaches in the first few years...Rockin Phil Robbins 11-1, 8-2, 12-1; Tom Turner 12-1, 8-1-1, 3-7, 7-3; Travis Turner 22-13 third year 9-3; Harry Frye, Rick Mullins, Don Williams, Ralph Cummins, Nick Colobro....go ahead look for yourselves.  Each of them may have had a rocky season out of the three but there was at least one season that energized the program.  I don't see that at Ben Hur.  I hope I'm wrong.  

3 hours ago, huh said:

The problem at Lee is a combination of many things, not just blaming a coach. The parents and fans are a huge part of the problem because they think Lee should be in the same category as the Richlands, Unions, etc. Since the late 90's Lee has been a bad program with a few years sprinkled in on 6-5 and 1 good year of 9-3 when they lost some close games in the regular season they probably should have won. You have a 3 year shelf life to either win or you are gone, fair or not. Terry Martin did a great job with the program and was ran off, Palko (from Maryland who did not win any state titles btw) was a complete joke and made the program worse than before. Pendergraft knows some football and has some really good assistants, but the parents will always know more than anyone, so why even try. That job is a lot less appealing than the Gate City job in my opinion. 

Duh Huh you seem close to the current General program and coaching staff, I'm curious can you tell me another high school, college, or nfl team that routinely lines a 6'3" 280+# nose man up head up on the center a foot from the ball in a two point stance?   Or a high school or college team that starts the year in the spread 4 games, then goes to the wishbone for 3 games and then back to spread?  I'm interested.  I'm sure it's all the kids or parents fault for not understanding.

44 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Duh Huh you seem close to the current General program and coaching staff, I'm curious can you tell me another high school, college, or nfl team that routinely lines a 6'3" 280+# nose man up head up on the center a foot from the ball in a two point stance?   Or a high school or college team that starts the year in the spread 4 games, then goes to the wishbone for 3 games and then back to spread?  I'm interested.  I'm sure it's all the kids or parents fault for not understanding.

What exactly are you fishing for in this conversation? You are making it seem like you have a grudge on a program trying to pick itself up. Just call it what it is, a combination of many bad things combined into a program. With the knowledge you show about the situation, you also know that, if any change will occur it will be after the election.

4 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

What exactly are you fishing for in this conversation? You are making it seem like you have a grudge on a program trying to pick itself up. Just call it what it is, a combination of many bad things combined into a program. With the knowledge you show about the situation, you also know that, if any change will occur it will be after the election.

No grudge at all TW.  Just responded to a comment with a couple questions.  And your obviously very close to the workings of Lee County if you know that change will only occur after the next election.   Hey maybe Lee puts TWHS back on the regular schedule and turns it around and goes 5-5, 6-4 the next few years.  

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

With the knowledge you show about the situation, you also know that, if any change will occur it will be after the election.

51 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

No grudge at all TW.  Just responded to a comment with a couple questions.  And your obviously very close to the workings of Lee County if you know that change will only occur after the next election.   Hey maybe Lee puts TWHS back on the regular schedule and turns it around and goes 5-5, 6-4 the next few years.  

Based solely on previous occurrences, But it has held true since 1993. But Pendergraft may want to leave so who knows?