Coaching Hot Seat/Coach Looking To Move On

50kw

Pendergraft ain't going nowhere he has 2 nephews coming up in a very good youth program. Now with that being said as long as he is there Lee will suffer because he is coaching Daddy ball and that folks is where the problem lies. With Coach Martin's short success he was ran off he didn't choice to leave on his on very reliable source for that tidbit. Let me fire 1 huge Cannon shot. All time record Union is 9 and 0 all time against Lee including the catch 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ridgerunner those are valid points, if I was a betting man they went to the wishbone against better teams in Ridgeview and Union to slow it down and try to keep it competative, the Gate City game I have no clue. Having said that, I am not in any way upholding or making excuses for anyone, simply stating facts that Lee High will always be parents and politics running the show in every sport. 

4 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

I hope the current coach ends up very successful but look at some other successful coaches in the first few years...Rockin Phil Robbins 11-1, 8-2, 12-1; 

Keep in mind that was Phil Robbins' record in his first three years at PV.  The former Vikings' HC, James Bolling, handed him the keys to a Cadillac.  Robbins' coaching career began in a rather inauspicious fashion at John Battle and Christiansburg  with a record of 47-70-5. fourseasonsfootball.com 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Keep in mind that was Phil Robbins' record in his first three years at PV.  The former Vikings' HC, James Bolling, handed him the keys to a Cadillac.  Robbins' coaching career began in a rather inauspicious fashion at John Battle and Christiansburg  with a record of 47-70-5. fourseasonsfootball.com 

Exactly! He was gifted the perfect circumstance along with one of the best DCs in the state. I feel 100% confident that had Colobro, Meade or any other coach of equal status gotten that job along with Jones as DC, they would have won the same championships if not more.

Even after he retired and is out of the spotlight, people still doubt Phil. Guys he won 300 games and seven state titles. Yes Bolling had the program in a good place and won a state title in 81, but if anyone believes that any coach with a brain could have been as successful as Phil is kidding themselves. Phil was arrogant, smarmy and short tempered, but you can't deny he was one of the best coaches to ever step foot on a field in SWVA if not all of VA. Yes, he had two supremely talented RBs, but they couldn't do it alone and he won three titles without either of them in four appearances. 

2 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Phil Robbins record speaks for itself.  He had talent and good assistants for sure.  Maybe one of the most important traits of a good head coach is......If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if it's working, don't screw it up.

Most'n ovarrater coach liven.  Jones boiz or buss for dat fat loose! 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Even after he retired and is out of the spotlight, people still doubt Phil. Guys he won 300 games and seven state titles. Yes Bolling had the program in a good place and won a state title in 81, but if anyone believes that any coach with a brain could have been as successful as Phil is kidding themselves. Phil was arrogant, smarmy and short tempered, but you can't deny he was one of the best coaches to ever step foot on a field in SWVA if not all of VA. Yes, he had two supremely talented RBs, but they couldn't do it alone and he won three titles without either of them in four appearances. 

You are definitely in the minority. I don't think anyone would say that Robbins was a terrible coach, but, at PV, he was a product of his circumstances more than his coaching savvy. I know that in his final years before consolidation that he closed the weight room when other coaches were volunteering to open it. And I recall the cheerleader coach telling me how their practices lasted longer than the football team's those last few years. I worked at PVH for several years. I heard about the arguments with administration and what his peers and players thought about him.

And he was "so" popular that he received the 3rd and final seat out of a field of 5 people for town council in BSG. Then, finished dead last in the field of 5 this year to lose re-election. Doesn't exactly sound like someone who is revered as a coaching legend in a small town does it?

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

You are definitely in the minority. I don't think anyone would say that Robbins was a terrible coach, but, at PV, he was a product of his circumstances more than his coaching savvy. I know that in his final years before consolidation that he closed the weight room when other coaches were volunteering to open it. And I recall the cheerleader coach telling me how their practices lasted longer than the football team's those last few years. I worked at PVH for several years. I heard about the arguments with administration and what his peers and players thought about him.

And he was "so" popular that he received the 3rd and final seat out of a field of 5 people for town council in BSG. Then, finished dead last in the field of 5 this year to lose re-election. Doesn't exactly sound like someone who is revered as a coaching legend in a small town does it?

Mos peeps up thar in cburg sed he nod muchen 

21 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

So because you've heard second hand gossip, that means Phil was a product of the environment? I could care less if I'm in the minority, I know deep in my heart I'm right. Phil was never the most popular person (I'm not sure what a town council election has to do with anything. He was a football coach, not a politician) but that means nothing when you're talking about football coaches. 

Phil was getting older before the school closed and maybe he did make his practices shorter. He coached for 30 years, I'll trust his opinion on how long a practice should last. 

How many losing seasons did Phil have at PV? Even when he got old and the talent level dipped, Phil never was worse than 5-5. It was time for him to retire and move on, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the top coaches ever in the area because his last three years were just mediocre. 

His peers mostly disliked him because he kicked their ass for so many years. Most of his players held a deep respect for Phil because:

A-he was super prepared. He put in the hours and continually put his team in position to succeed. He schemes and gameplanned for every team and always had a path to victory, whether the team won or not was mostly up to the players.

B-He was never afraid to take chances. If he thought something would work, no matter how risky or crazy it may seem, he would try it and more often than not it worked. 

C-His team's were always ready to play and were well disciplined. Penalties were a huge pet peeve and Phil would work hard to make sure his team didn't beat themselves.

D-His football game management was second to none. He never had issues with time management and he never got by nerves. Ever. 

I could go on for days. He continually made sure the feeder program was as good as it could be And that the coaches were preparing the kids for his system. He was flexible, he would change his offensive system to best use his talent. And no matter what anyone said, Phil cared about his players and tried to help them. Phil has an abrasive personality and it rubbed some people the wrong way, but that does not take away from his coaching acumen one iota. 

The bottom line is, it takes a great coach to consistently win and win big. How many coaches have won 300 games? How many coaches played for state titles in THREE different decades? 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So because you've heard second hand gossip, that means Phil was a product of the environment? I could care less if I'm in the minority, I know deep in my heart I'm right. Phil was never the most popular person (I'm not sure what a town council election has to do with anything. He was a football coach, not a politician) but that means nothing when you're talking about football coaches. 

Phil was getting older before the school closed and maybe he did make his practices shorter. He coached for 30 years, I'll trust his opinion on how long a practice should last. 

How many losing seasons did Phil have at PV? Even when he got old and the talent level dipped, Phil never was worse than 5-5. It was time for him to retire and move on, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the top coaches ever in the area because his last three years were just mediocre. 

His peers mostly disliked him because he kicked their ass for so many years. Most of his players held a deep respect for Phil because:

A-he was super prepared. He put in the hours and continually put his team in position to succeed. He schemes and gameplanned for every team and always had a path to victory, whether the team won or not was mostly up to the players.

B-He was never afraid to take chances. If he thought something would work, no matter how risky or crazy it may seem, he would try it and more often than not it worked. 

C-His team's were always ready to play and were well disciplined. Penalties were a huge pet peeve and Phil would work hard to make sure his team didn't beat themselves.

D-His football game management was second to none. He never had issues with time management and he never got by nerves. Ever. 

I could go on for days. He continually made sure the feeder program was as good as it could be And that the coaches were preparing the kids for his system. He was flexible, he would change his offensive system to best use his talent. And no matter what anyone said, Phil cared about his players and tried to help them. Phil has an abrasive personality and it rubbed some people the wrong way, but that does not take away from his coaching acumen one iota. 

The bottom line is, it takes a great coach to consistently win and win big. How many coaches have won 300 games? How many coaches played for state titles in THREE different decades? 

Not gossip, but we'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

1 hour ago, Dookthecook said:

JONES 1 and JONES 2

Hey Duckthecook won't argue about talent.  At least he was smart enough that they didn't transfer to Norton or Gate City.  I think you probably left out a Jones.  Thomas, Julius, and Barry.  Not a big Robbins fan but you're being pretty hard on a coach that has more than twice as many wins as your school.  Record speaks for itself.

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

BIG WINNERS SPEAKS THE TRUTH!  THOSE THAT DOUBT THIS WERE AND OBVIOUSLY STILL ARE JEALOUS OF THE PROGRAM!!  Phil is the GOAT!!giphy.gif

I LOVE Coach Robbins... but many of those wins were against po-dunk schools. The man had two regular season games to play each year and a three round cakewalk to the championship. His numbers are great, but he had some help. 

3 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Nothing pleasured me more than posting a winning record vs Phil Robbins in my playing career. 5-2 overall. Fun times, especially when he called our offensive line out in a video by the KTN when they did video interviews. 

3 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

...playing career...

4 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

...5-2 overall...

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Yes Bolling had the program in a good place and won a state title in 81.

That was 1982...when Phil came to PV in 1983 he changed the offense and the defense. I was in my 3rd year of P-Nut football when he first came and the entire offensive playbook for us changed over and had to be relearned. That is how thorough the program was from P-Nut on up back then, and I doubt it’s changed much as far as the kids learning the basic plays that Union relies on now. As far as Coach Robbins goes, folks can say what they want but he was more tedious in his weekly preparation of his team than any coach I’ve ever been around. He didn’t wear us out in practice, but he made sure we were ready to play. You were never on the field confused or seeing something you hadn’t seen in practice. At times during the games, a play call would come in that the fans might question, but the QB could always change it at the line. He was a great teacher of the game, as was Barry Jones, and it showed in the results on Fridays and Saturdays.