Coaching Hot Seat/Coach Looking To Move On

50kw

On 10/26/2018 at 10:06 AM, Liam McPoyle said:

James Bolling took a basketball school, that played in the toughest football district in Single A, and built it into a juggernaut.   

Phil Robbins inherited the defending State Champs with five players who made all-state.

And 15 years later, he was still winning state championships!

2 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

And 15 years later, he was still winning state championships!

I'll use a business analogy to describe Phil Robbins.  He became the manager of an underperforming store (John Battle), but couldn't turn a profit in six years.  He was then hired to manage the Christiansburg store for the next six years and turned a small profit (one playoff loss).  Next, he was hired to manage the Powell Valley store where the previous manager (Bolling) had turned the store from average into the best performing store in the state.  Robbins continued to successfully manage the store for the next 20+ years.  

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'll use a business analogy to describe Phil Robbins.  He became the manager of an underperforming store (John Battle), but couldn't turn a profit in six years.  He was then hired to manage the Christiansburg store for the next six years and turned a small profit (one playoff loss).  Next, he was hired to manage the Powell Valley store where the previous manager (Bolling) had turned the store from average into the best performing store in the state.  Robbins continued to successfully manage the store for the next 20+ years.  

Think that is the goal for most coaches. In business, you want to eventually get to the best company. That company allows you to have success. Also along the way, you learn from each mistake, which makes you better for your next stop. Maintaining is the hardest thing to do!  Phil did more than maintain for many years. 

8 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Think that is the goal for most coaches. In business, you want to eventually get to the best company. That company allows you to have success. Also along the way, you learn from each mistake, which makes you better for your next stop. Maintaining is the hardest thing to do!  Phil did more than maintain for many years. 

So, in your opinion...Tim Cook > Steve Jobs? Because it's much harder to maintain Apple's success than build it.

I think the goal of any business is to go above and beyond. If you are not, your business is dying. High school athletics has attrition, but Phil was able to not only maintain, but take it to new heights!

Blue Devil faithful, assuming Mr Leatherhead and Mr GrapeApe are correct and GC is looking for a new captain of the ship;  are you going inside or outside the Big Blue family?  Somebody suggested earlier the program has only had 4 head coachs in the last 50 yrs.  The way I see it....Fry, Colobro, and Akers were outside the family and Houseright was the only guy in the family. 

2 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

Blue Devil faithful, assuming Mr Leatherhead and Mr GrapeApe are correct and GC is looking for a new captain of the ship;  are you going inside or outside the Big Blue family?  Somebody suggested earlier the program has only had 4 head coachs in the last 50 yrs.  The way I see it....Fry, Colobro, and Akers were outside the family and Houseright was the only guy in the family. 

I want a person of character who will use football as a means of teaching functional life lessons to help GC kids be successful off the field. It doesn’t matter a bit to me where they come from. Darren Reed is like my wife - not the best, but the best that I can do. 😂

1 minute ago, Grapeape said:

I want a person of character who will use football as a means of teaching functional life lessons to help GC kids be successful off the field. It doesn’t matter a bit to me where they come from. Darren Reed is like my wife - not the best, but the best that I can do. 😂

I second that motion. Not about your wife, but about the coach. 

Hearing RUMORS Akers is fired. Details coming Monday. Notice I said rumors. But I’ve heard multiple reports that claim the same  

BUT, Akers twitter last night still had a background picture of Legion Field and a description reading “Head Football coach at Gate City High School”  

Both the picture and the wording have been removed at some point today. This seems to support the statement above. 

7 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Hearing RUMORS Akers is fired. Details coming Monday. Notice I said rumors. 

BUT, Akers twitter last night still had a background picture of Legion Field and a description reading “Head Football coach at Gate City High School”  

both the picture and the wording have been removed at some point today. This seems to support the statement above  

It would suck to get fired on your day off. 

9 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Christiansburg never even had a playoff game before Phil. I think you're underselling his tenure there.

31 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Hearing RUMORS Akers is fired. Details coming Monday. Notice I said rumors. But I’ve heard multiple reports that claim the same  

Both the picture and the wording have been removed at some point today. This seems to support the statement above. 

I can't see him being fired yet. Doesn't the school board have to make that decision?

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

I understand how that could be an alien concept in Richlands. I will now MEASURE my words and TRANSFER the conversation to another topic. 

Nice try, pal. I know who you are. And I know why you don’t like Akers. Just funny that someone like you would talk about character. 

But go ahead, bring up transfers. Yawn. 

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can't see him being fired yet. Doesn't the school board have to make that decision?

Technically and legally, yes. BUT, they generally follow the recommendations of the administration unless there is some sort of dispute or controversy. 

I played for POSS Bolling,before that Maddox, he took a under achieving program and developed a good foundation, won state and left coaching just like he said he would. A thing that is being forgotten is this , Phil Robbins had 3 very talented boys Andy, Wes and Brad , Wes and Andy won state , Brad went to state and finished 2nd. The shelves may have been stocked but old Phil bright talent with him

9 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Remember, GC played Thursday. It could have happened Friday at some point and the news is just slowly getting out. 

It's true. He has been relieved of coaching duties. 

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Christiansburg never even had a playoff game before Phil. I think you're underselling his tenure there.

I didn't intend to diminish this accomplishment, but I can see your point as I reread my analogy.  Securing the school's first playoff berth is commendable and Phil Robbins deserves the credit.  His only district losses in '81 were to Narrows and Giles, which meant he beat both Radford and Blacksburg. The former New River District was comparable in difficulty to the old SWD and LPD.  Each season Robbins was matching wits with other future HOF coaches in Lineburg, Crist, and Ragsdale.

source: fourseasonsfootball.com