Richlands and Marion

#1BLUESFAN

Blues by 24ish would be my guess. Having the homecoming parade at 4:30 on the same day as the game could throw the schedule off and they may come out off-kilter. But I think Richlands ultimately wins.

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Blues by 24ish would be my guess. Having the homecoming parade at 4:30 on the same day as the game could throw the schedule off and they may come out off-kilter. But I think Richlands ultimately wins.

Homecoming does have a tendency to throw everything off, but I see everyone on the Blues team getting into the action before this one is over.  I'll go with the Blues 42 to 0 in this one.

Marion will cover in the secondary better than expected, but the spread out defense will allow gashing runs up the middle, likely from a player that no one in Bluesburg has been talking about. Marion fails to put an offense together, even when running backups. Richlands works out a sluggish 42-0 victory, and everything becomes right with the world again following last season.

Also, if Richlands gets the victory, they will extend their home winning streak over Marion to 40 years on Friday.

4 hours ago, Flanker87 said:

Why didn't Flea kick last week?

Mance said Mono after the game. Someone who know someone Fle said the Flu. Not sure which is correct. 

Either way, I thought Fuller was doing a fine job on the punts and kickoffs in Fle’s absence. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Mance said Mono after the game. Someone who know someone Fle said the Flu. Not sure which is correct. 

Either way, I thought Fuller was doing a fine job on the punts and kickoffs in Fle’s absence. 

If it’s mono, he won’t be out there this week either (too great a chance for spleen damage).  If it’s flu, he will be (and it has been going around the Richlands area).

Two memorable games for me against Marion. 

At Marion my Freshman year, first playoff game and Marshall Doss was a stud. I think they went on to lose to Pulaski in state-semis.

And  1992, I think it may have been homecoming that year as well but Josh Perkins (pictured) hits a field goal in the rain to win and preserve the perfect record. 

Perkins2.JPG

4 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

Two memorable games for me against Marion. 

At Marion my Freshman year, first playoff game and Marshall Doss was a stud. I think they went on to lose to Pulaski in state-semis.

And  1992, I think it may have been homecoming that year as well but Josh Perkins (pictured) hits a field goal in the rain to win and preserve the perfect record. 

Perkins2.JPG

I was on the top row of the visitors' side of Ernie just behind kicker.

In 1992, Marion had no business being anywhere near the Blues.   Richlands (8-0) led Marion (3-4) by a comfortable margin until late in the 4th.  I still remember the P.A. announcer.  He NEVER stopped talking the entire game.  He enthusiastically did play-by-play, color commentary, promotions, or just talked about whatever else was on his mind for three straight hours.  The 2nd half rain came and somehow Marion executed a miraculous comeback to tie the game at 28-28.  Marion scored first in 1st OT to lead 35-28.  (By this time, the chatty and vivacious announcer had become totally despondent).  However,  Jeremy McCommons scored on 4th down to tie the game at 35.  In the 2nd OT, Marion failed to score and the Perkins' FG was the difference.  

Final Richlands 38 Marion 35  2 OT

40 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I was on the top row of the visitors' side of Ernie just behind kicker.

In 1992, Marion had no business being anywhere near the Blues.   Richlands (8-0) led Marion (3-4) by a comfortable margin until late in the 4th.  I still remember the P.A. announcer.  He NEVER stopped talking the entire game.  He enthusiastically did play-by-play, color commentary, promotions, or just talked about whatever else was on his mind for three straight hours.  The 2nd half rain came and somehow Marion executed a miraculous comeback to tie the game at 28-28.  Marion scored first in 1st OT to lead 35-28.  (By this time, the chatty and vivacious announcer had become totally despondent).  However,  Jeremy McCommons scored on 4th down to tie the game at 35.  In the 2nd OT, Marion failed to score and the Perkins' FG was the difference.  

Final Richlands 38 Marion 35  2 OT

The announcer you reference would be the ubiquitous Paul "Slick" Cook -- local legend and former Mayor of Richlands.  And although I can understand the consternation of opposing fans, I have nothing but love for the man.  He even gave me a public shout out during the 2005 playoff game between Richlands and Liberty -- gained me a bit of grief from my Bedford neighbors, but I still appreciate the gesture.

Oh, and I was present back in 1978 for Marion's victory over the Blues (along with Ernie Hicks and a few thousand other folks).  I was all of seven years old, but I remember the shared sense of community disappointment in yet another 3 win season.  Bright spots were few and far between for Richlands football back then.  Truly these are the "good old days."