Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
who?

Congrats to Chris Akers

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

If they do, just do it for a two cycle period, that should be enough time to rally the troops and show improvement. What's scary is the middle school activity levels being so low.

 

I'll say this, Gate City in the next 7 to 10 years could easily be the most consistent school this region has ever seen. Take all of north kingsport and south scott county and becoming the next central lun. Or salem. (too lazy too look up the spelling).

Will they really get all of those kids though? I get that the Drive Might be a bit better for some but the solid Athleats will they want to play for a team that is averaging 1 or 2 wins a season and will have much poorer athletic facilitys.

Add to that the fact that the whole GC coaching situation is described by there fans as a dumpster fire and there top choice as a replacement has been described as a "not a people person" kind of coach I just question how many people and what type of players that situation will attract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Footba11isl1fe said:

What Single A school schedules to excel? Every team in Region D plays cupcake schedules.

I would argue Honaker as Article A by scheduling George Wythe (perennial 1A power), PH(Stevie Wonder saw Palmer making them a winner), Ridgeview and Burton. Grundy as Article B by scheduling Lebanon(although they're down still a decent 2A in most years), Pikeville(Top 5 KY 1A), Tazewell (much love to them on the rise), Burton and Ridgeview(enough said). A case can even be made for Burton by playing their opener against the U every year and Chilhowie, although, it is not their fault that the Cumberland is year in and year out a cake walk usually coming down to a winner take all matchup. The relative top heavy BDD coaches realize that with only 3 games, they must schedule some tougher non district matchups to battle test their kids for playoffs. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those are valid arguments, and I see your point with the BDD schools. Chilhowie plays a tough schedule, but they have 400 kids which is a big plus. Patrick Henry plays Chilhowie and John Battle, and this year Honaker is improved, but they don’t play a tough schedule. Twin Springs is last in points without a win and plays one of the toughest schedules of any small school and you see what happens. Holston, Northwood, Hurley, Twin Valley, Castlewood, Eastside, Thomas Walker, Rye Cove all play week schedules becuase they are small schools, they should be playing other small schools. It is a toss up how the teams each school plays is gonna be. One cycle they might win 8 games the next 2, you don’t know that when you schedule.

I guess my question is why are Gate City fans bashing little schools for their schedule when most region d teams do it too? Thomas Walker isn’t a world beater, but who said they were. If they win 7 or 8 games and win 1 playoff game that is great for any school that size, and it is a start. It happened a few years ago when Hurley was good, same group bashing them when they were winning because of schedule. I don’t see anyone in the BDD or Cumberland or anyone not named Chilhowie winning state, so why hate on small schools all the time, just be happy for these guys when they do good. 

Who should these schools be scheduling? Bluefield, Daniel Boone, Tennessee High, should they play Union or Richlands or Graham and take a beating just to say they played someone bigger. 

Gate City needs to realize there aren’t any Houserights, Beasley’s, Humphrey’s, Spivey’s, or Collier’s coming through anytime soon so you might want to drop about 4 teams and pick up some wins to build that program back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Footba11isl1fe said:

 

I guess my question is why are Gate City fans bashing little schools for their schedule when most region d teams do it too? Thomas Walker isn’t a world beater, but who said they were. If they win 7 or 8 games and win 1 playoff game that is great for any school that size, and it is a start. It happened a few years ago when Hurley was good, same group bashing them when they were winning because of schedule. I don’t see anyone in the BDD or Cumberland or anyone not named Chilhowie winning state, so why hate on small schools all the time, just be happy for these guys when they do good. 

Who should these schools be scheduling? Bluefield, Daniel Boone, Tennessee High, should they play Union or Richlands or Graham and take a beating just to say they played someone bigger. 

Gate City needs to realize there aren’t any Houserights, Beasley’s, Humphrey’s, Spivey’s, or Collier’s coming through anytime soon so you might want to drop about 4 teams and pick up some wins to build that program back up.

 

No one from Gate City is bashing anyone but our own. @TwhscoachT made a joke; I made a joke in rebuttal. That’s it. Quit trying to start drama, or you’ll wake the 🔨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I’m happy for TW

2) I don’t think GC can get any one else to play. Volunteer and Eastside were going to be picked up. Volunteer wanted to play us in Virginia’s week 1. I reckon GC admin doesn’t want to drop Richlands because week 1 is their only spot for us. Can’t get Eastside because none of the other teams on the schedule are willing to move to a different week. I think they should play with the OPEN date myself. Right now with GC not being a playoff program, it does no good having it Week 11. Need it around week 4 or 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grapeape said:

 

No one from Gate City is bashing anyone but our own. @TwhscoachT made a joke; I made a joke in rebuttal. That’s it. Quit trying to start drama, or you’ll wake the 🔨

This 10x

 

As for uvatroll, he is butthurt over an explanation that concerned bluefield and tazewell county and no one agreeing with his bias.

 

On a side note, TWHS has focused on local schools our size for gate money and we have seen a sizable increase. Dropping west greene and adding Cumberland gap will only increase that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

This 10x

 

As for uvatroll, he is butthurt over an explanation that concerned bluefield and tazewell county and no one agreeing with his bias.

 

On a side note, TWHS has focused on local schools our size for gate money and we have seen a sizable increase. Dropping west greene and adding Cumberland gap will only increase that.

Looking at scores in the area I wondered if CG or Middlesboro may be a pickup TW would try to make.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Looking at scores in the area I wondered if CG or Middlesboro may be a pickup TW would try to make.  

Boro wont happen too much bad blood atm. Boys basketball will be extremely choppy and the score will not be pretty.

Gap has been on the schedule before and Delyn Cline doesnt care to play us. Granted we played them in their best years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×